Ryan Miller Has Not Impressed

JagerMeister

Well the Canucks are in contention for the playoffs, by this time last year the wheels had fallen off.

He is 8th in wins.

The defense has been in flux, Garrison moved on, Bieksa has been injured, so it is not like he has a top back end in front of him.

He is fine. Not great but good enough to win. I have always felt he is one of the games most overrated players but he has really had a decent year.

Well the Canucks are in contention for the playoffs, by this time last year the wheels had fallen off.

He is 8th in wins.

The defense has been in flux, Garrison moved on, Bieksa has been injured, so it is not like he has a top back end in front of him.

He is fine. Not great but good enough to win. I have always felt he is one of the games most overrated players but he has really had a decent year.

"decent year" for him, but for the top goalies in the league it would be one of their worst. He is not anything special with Canucks is all im saying

He has the same SV% as Bernier, Bishop and Bobrovsky. I'd wager that many NHL teams would take any of those four.

He actually has a better SV% and GAA than Halak.

He's third in the league in shutouts as well.

Vancouver could do a lot worse.

And has.

And they're still pretty solidly in eighth with their playoff destiny in their own hands.

@radoran

Summed up nicely.

Miller is not Lundqvist or Rask, he is squarely in the middle of the next tier down. Not a star, for some reason he has always been overrated.

But he is among the reasons the Canucks are in the middle of things. I wouldn't bet against them making the postseason. If they don't he will not be the cause. He is a steady as you go, Jimmy Howard type who maybe because he never met a camera he didn't like more is expected. But he is having a solid year so to say he has not impressed is missing the point, he don't have to impress, he just has to not lose the games, Chris Osgood basically.

Not a star, for some reason he has always been overrated.

He had a great year in 09-10 41-18-8, 2.22, .929

And was the MVP of the Olympics, which really made him a household name and an "American hero."

squarely in the middle of the next tier down.

Yep.

dont know who that is but ok

HJ aka Hockey Junkie aka know as Bufallo Rick (from those of us from old Philly.com) is a die hard Sabre fan and believes that Miller is the 2nd coming of everyobody.  Although a bit misguided at times he is extremely loyal to Miller and believes that Miller can do no wrong.  When Miller was traded to the Blues last year, he immediately became a Blues fan and said the Blues would win Lord Stanley.  When the Blues lost to the Hawks, he blamed everone but Miller for the series lost.  He now follow the Nucks.  His favorite saying is "Miller TIme". He loves his Halibut at Applebee's (his favorite hangout).

He means well on here, but at times takes alot of abuse, rightfully deserved or not.

HJ aka Hockey Junkie aka know as Bufallo Rick (from those of us from old Philly.com) is a die hard Sabre fan and believes that Miller is the 2nd coming of everyobody.  Although a bit misguided at times he is extremely loyal to Miller and believes that Miller can do no wrong.  When Miller was traded to the Blues last year, he immediately became a Blues fan and said the Blues would win Lord Stanley.  When the Blues lost to the Hawks, he blamed everone but Miller for the series lost.  He now follow the Nucks.  His favorite saying is "Miller TIme". He loves his Halibut at Applebee's (his favorite hangout).

He means well on here, but at times takes alot of abuse, rightfully deserved or not.

Sounds like me with Jagr

Ryan Miller has been about as good in Vancouver as he was during his last 3 or 4 years in Buffalo.

That is to say, he has good numbers, nothing jaw dropping, but far from terrible either.

Thing is, he has a pretty large contract and went to Vancouver with some fanfare and that probably drove up the expectations for what kind of numbers he would be putting up over there.

As was mentioned in this thread already, his team IS in the playoff mix and in fact were near the very top of the division earlier this season....and I think it is safe to say that the Canucks don't get there, or still remain in the playoff hunt, without his play.

Not gonna knock Eddie Lack here, but just am not sure the Canucks would have gotten this much mileage out of Lack at this point in time as they have out of Miller.

I certainly am not going to say anything Miller-shrinelike such as "he is the best in the history in all of sports and he can even play quarterback", but he has been good so far for the Canucks, if not overly impressive.

His window to win with the team will be as long as the rest of his contract (2 more years after this season), but well before that, especially if Van isn't any closer to being Cup Contender Compatible, the Canucks will be looking at other options for down the road.

Vancouver playing tonight, hopefully Miller doesnt **** this one up

In their last 10 losses - dating to mid-December - the Canucks have scored

0 2 1 0 1 1 2 1 0 1 1

That's 1.00 GPG.

Show me a goalie who can win consistently behind a team putting up 1.00 GPG...

In their last 10 losses - dating to mid-December - the Canucks have scored

0 2 1 0 1 1 2 1 0 1 1

That's 1.00 GPG.

Show me a goalie who can win consistently behind a team putting up 1.00 GPG...

His save percentage is 9.12 i think and he has faced approx 900 shots

Some situational numbers:

5v5: .921, 20th

5v5 Close: .926, 14th

SH SV%: .880, 14th

Tied Game: .938, 6th

Take from them what you will, but his numbers at ES leave something to be desired.

• 9 months later...

I've always kinda lumped Miller in with Lehtonen, Lunogo and Howard. They are important to their respective teams, but unlikely they will take you deep into a playoff run. All 4 of them are posting respectable stats, Lehtonen is in the midst of one of his better years...Luongo has nice GGA and SV%, but only a .500 record because the Panthers are...well, the Panthers....lol.

Archived