Janne Niinimaa taking part in World's Longest Hockey Game

JR Ewing

This has become a tradition around Edmonton, and Janne's returning to take part, as he has wanted to do for about a dozen years:

http://albertacancer.ca/WLHG2015/BlueTeam?tab=0&frsid=15946#.VNaRr0m8HQo.twitter

I love Alberta. I love Edmonton. I love the people here. Some of my best friends live here.

NHL Trade Deadline Day back in 2003 was the worst day of my life. I never wanted to leave Edmonton.
I remember that day like yesterday. We were in Calgary preparing for a game against the Flames when I
was told that I had to leave.

I flew back to Edmonton and spent the evening at the Cross Cancer Institute with Brent and his wife Susan Saik
who was at that time very sick with cancer. That put things into perspective for me.

I knew they were preparing for the first Worlds Longest Hockey Game at that time. But I had to leave.

As my friend was driving me to the airport, the historic Duncan block on my beloved Whyte Avenue was
on fire. The city I grew to love was in flames. (I swear I didnt do it).

I always wanted to play in the Worlds Longest Hockey Game. It is important.

I played 20 years as a professional hockey player. Five teams in the National Hockey League, 741 regular season games.
Edmonton Oilers and my time in Edmonton was the best time. I still consider myself an Oiler and an Edmontonian for ever.

I played in the Stanley Cup finals, Olympics, the World Cup, Junior World Championships and I was a member on the first
Finnish mens World Championship team. I was on Spengler Cup championship team and on national championship teams
in Finland and Sweden.

I had a great hockey career, but theres one more thing I need. One more thing that I have to do.

I want to play the Worlds Longest Hockey Game on Saikers Acres. This is a promise I made to Brent
years ago. I want to help the Cross Cancer Institute to purchase the new PET-MR machine.

This is the coolest thing to do. I am proud to lace them up with my friends for the next ten days.

Playing outdoors is no problem for me. I am from Northern Finland. Outside is where I learned to play.
We used to play on my hometown Jääli Lake when it froze. Sometimes the whole lake didn't freeze.
If the puck got away close to the edge of the water, we always sent the smallest kid to get it.

We figured that was the safe thing to do.

Fortunately here at Saikers Acres nobody has to go get the puck from the edge of the water,
this facility is beautiful.

I couldnt get my old number 44 because they told me Im a rookie on this team. But I got my
old junior number 6. That will have to do.

Please consider supporting me by clicking the “Support Me Today” button. This is very
important for me. This 10 day hockey game is my final love letter to Alberta. After this
I can finally retire from hockey a very, very happy man if we reach our goal.

Thank you for powering change and accelerating discovery right here at home.

Sincerely

Janne

That makes two really great things regarding Janne Niinimaa.

The other:

Niinimaalmao.jpg

That picture makes me laugh every time I see it.

where it says location it says British Columbia,I thought the Canucks would be the home team unless Edmonton is closer? Though no one has to root for the home team.

I grew up in Edmonton during the Oilers dynasty period, and only moved to BC this past August. Yes, the Canucks are the favorite team here in Victoria, but I stick with my old team, as much as they try to push me away.

I grew up in Edmonton during the Oilers dynasty period, and only moved to BC this past August. Yes, the Canucks are the favorite team here in Victoria, but I stick with my old team, as much as they try to push me away.
ok now it makes sense I thought you were a native of BC!To be honest I was hoping to see a Gretzky Lemieux Stanley Cup final. O well maybe Wayne will own a team and see it that way!

Archived