So where do the Jets rank now?

yave1964

Bogosian is the only roster player dealt today by the Jets, Myers is an upgrade and the top 3 on the back end, Myers, Trouba and Enstrom are the envy of most teams. Stafford helps provide scoring depth and allows the team flexibility with Big Buff.

So where does this put the Jets in the Western conference?

To me, the Blues, Hawks, Ducks and Predators, in no order are still tops in the West. This IMHO places the Jets as the number 5 team, ahead of the likes of the Sharks and Canucks and the rest. The question is: is the move enough to get the Jets in consideration for moving up among the elite?

My opinion is not quite, but I think that they are going to be a tough out and which ever of the big four draws them will have their hands full. I watched part of Chevy's press conference and he sounds like he isn't done. If he makes another move or two in the bottom six to add a skill level there without sacrificing toughness, they may even win a series or two.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My opinion is not quite, but I think that they are going to be a tough out and which ever of the big four draws them will have their hands full. I watched part of Chevy's press conference and he sounds like he isn't done. If he makes another move or two in the bottom six to add a skill level there without sacrificing toughness, they may even win a series or two.

This is a great way to make a big splash in WInnipeg and get the town excited about their Jets. I think it is a fabulous move, especially if it brings them some playoff success.

I agree it doesn't make them "top 4" but it makes them certainly a credible franchise and one that has room and ability to move up.

It was a huge move. Definitely an upgrade. Armia is suppose to be a good prospect and the 1st. Rd. Pick is huge . Jets are a buyer this year and it'll help them for some years. Still kinda concerned about the Pavs/ Hutch situation.

Well, gotta say, nice move for both sides......filled with LOTS of big "Ifs, Ands, Maybes", but nice moves nonetheless moving bodies that weren't impactful at the time their respective teams dealt them.

As for the Jets, going by performance of the players acquired this season, they most likely made only a marginal improvement.

Why?

Well, if Tyler Myers was 'bust', or at least on track to being that in Buffalo, will he flip a switch and suddenly be an all world player with the Jets?

Same with Stafford. Very disappointing season with the Sabres...so now that he is traded, he all of a sudden becomes "that scorer the Jets were looking for?".

Not sure I buy into all that.

Again, Jets HAVE improved themselves by unloading a player whose future with the team was done (Kane) and giving up a defensman, who, while good, is injury prone, and frankly, the Jets did fine without him while he was out.

But to suddenly catapult the Jets into near elite status because they picked up two players in Myers and Stafford who weren't even marginal for their former teams, well, that is a bit too much IMO to elevate this team in the here and now.

Jets were already in good position to make the post season, despite the fact their most recent slide jeopardized that post season spot, and this trade will certainly at least help solidify that spot for this season....though by NO MEANS are they assured of it.

With teams like the Wild, Canucks, Flames, Sharks.....even the Stars and Avalanche....all still in play for post season positioning, the Jets STILL have to find ways of playing consistently night in, night out, whether they had Myers and Stafford or not, and of course, their goaltending has to be up to par to be anywhere REMOTELY close to being elite or even second tier elite.

Now...regardless of what happens this season, come next season, it is very possible this trade looks much better for Winnipeg as far as putting them in the upper echelon of teams in the NHL.

Maybe from now till then, guys like Myers, Stafford, any AHL callups and/or prospects have had ample time to understand their roles, realize their potentials and carry the team upward from there.

But unless they show dramatic, dramatic improvement on the ice THIS year, I think adding these two players for the Jets, while nice, doesn't put them near elite status for now.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Good comments, fair. I don't see Myers as a bust or near bust. He's only 25 and has immense talent and size. He won't be expected to be "teh guy" in the 'Peg, just play, likely on the 2nd pairing. Possibly with Byfuglien. I think that alone will allow him to resurrect his game and his confidence will grow quickly. Then he becomes a steal.

Stafford is a proven NHLer. Kane wasn't playing so he immediately improves their 2nd or 3rd line and is a big body too, which fits the Jets mould.

The fact that Chevy got a 1st and two highly regarded prospects means the Jets win this trade long-term. I think Armia could get a look this year and he plays a big but skilled game too so...

Jets were already in good position to make the post season, despite the fact their most recent slide jeopardized that post season spot, and this trade will certainly at least help solidify that spot for this season....though by NO MEANS are they assured of it.

MIN and VAN have the games in hand to make a run at the Jets - and they can show that they are on the cusp of the "Top Four" if they do make that run.

Nothing is guaranteed, of course, but I'd rather be seven points up than seven point back when making this move.

I don't think it is a game changer for the Jets, but it does give them a bit more of a reasonable foundation.

Stafford is, at best, a 20/50 guy who you can't rely upon for much of anything. He could be a great guy in the locker room, and that's all well and good and much better than what Kane was apparently bringing.

Myers could be the standout of the deal if he gets his game together. On a team with an actual offense and support around him - which he had as a rookie but not since in BUF - he could emerge.

Or he could fall flat on his face.

Now...regardless of what happens this season, come next season, it is very possible this trade looks much better for Winnipeg as far as putting them in the upper echelon of teams in the NHL.

Maybe from now till then, guys like Myers, Stafford, any AHL callups and/or prospects have had ample time to understand their roles, realize their potentials and carry the team upward from there.

But unless they show dramatic, dramatic improvement on the ice THIS year, I think adding these two players for the Jets, while nice, doesn't put them near elite status for now.

Yeah, I agree with that - it's mainly the idea that they are building a nice foundation. I think it certainly lifts them above CGY and EDM and they were already in the same league as VAN.

Really, it leaves MIN where they have been for several years - in put up or shut up mode. Unfortunately (I like the Wild) they have been doing more shutting than putting...

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I never saw Myers as a bust, far from it. Just stuck on a wretched team and in need of a change of scenery. And he fits the mold of what the Jets are built around, big bodies who love to hit. He can help the power play, with Buff on the point on the first unit and Myers running the second group, they are very,very dangerous on special teams.

I have always liked Stafford, a character guy coming into a fractured locker room, yes he is at best 20/50 but he is a third liner in Winnipeg, so even if he is 15/45 that is a nice upgrade over what the Jets have had on the lower lines. And again, a big boy.  With him being an UFA at the end of the year, he is playing for a paycheck, a nice strong finish and postseason could literally earn him millions. It has to be a perfect situation for him. Is he a stud? No, of course not but he is a lot better than what the Jets have had going out on the lower lines. Perfect casting.

@radoran

I like that expression. In this case, I was understating the case I think. I don't know Stafford's game that well, but he was a 1st round pick and is a veteran who has scored more than 20 goals a bunch of times, mostly on a lousy team. I think he could get a new lease on life on the Jets. He will see some PP time likely and you just never know how he may click with a smart center like Perrault or whoever.

@radoran

I like that expression. In this case, I was understating the case I think. I don't know Stafford's game that well, but he was a 1st round pick and is a veteran who has scored more than 20 goals a bunch of times, mostly on a lousy team. I think he could get a new lease on life on the Jets. He will see some PP time likely and you just never know how he may click with a smart center like Perrault or whoever.

Yeah, I watched Stafford pretty closely for two years in Buffalo (including his 30-goal season) and have followed them since. I don't recall a lot of "impact" or "important" goals out of his game.

Could be a "change of scenery" works for him. I don't know. I'm just not expecting much from him.

Personal bias - I freely admit (but you'll also notice @HockeyJunkie isn't shedding any tears for Stafford's departure).

Could be a "change of scenery" works for him. I don't know. I'm just not expecting much from him.

Personal bias - I freely admit (but you'll also notice @HockeyJunkie isn't shedding any tears for Stafford's departure).

Fair enough, but for me a guy who has scored 20 goals or more 3 times in his career, averages 18 goals per year, while mostly playing with crap has to be seen as a huge upgrade to any other roster player the Jets could put in there. Thorburn is currently the RW on the 3rd line. He's never scored 10 goals in the NHL. TJ Galliardi once scored 15 but that was years ago on a good Colorado team. He hasn't scored 5 since. Those are the Jets' options at this point.

I guess it's all relative, but Stafford now represents a 15-20 goal scorer on their 3rd line. That's huge.

I guess it's all relative, but Stafford now represents a 15-20 goal scorer on their 3rd line. That's huge.

Assuming he still get his points there. Stafford was producing like that in a Top 6 role, not in a 3rd line role.

He's not going to be Vanek's off-wing on the Jets.

FWIW, I do think he can produce for Winnipeg. But I'm going to wait for him to prove it :)

Assuming he still get his points there. Stafford was producing like that in a Top 6 role, not in a 3rd line role.

He's not going to be Vanek's off-wing on the Jets.

FWIW, I do think he can produce for Winnipeg. But I'm going to wait for him to prove it

Yeah that's understandable. He will get a chance to score goals in Wpg, but there won't be pressure on him to score. He will be expected to play hard. He's simply an upgrade from what they had. Plus Chevy is not done, he pretty much said so. They still need a top-9 forward in most people's opinion.

He won't be expected to be "teh guy" in the 'Peg, just play, likely on the 2nd pairing. Possibly with Byfuglien.

Really Buff???

That would be pairing two right hand shots.

In fact they must be cornering the market on righties. Buff, Myers, Trouba and Postma are all right hand shots.

Really Buff???

That would be pairing two right hand shots.

In fact they must be cornering the market on righties. Buff, Myers, Trouba and Postma are all right hand shots

Yeah, that was lousy speculation on my part. More likely Enstrom. The pairings were: Trouba with Stuart (they really are dynamite together, can't see them being split up). Enstrom was with Bogo and Buff was with Ben Chiarot who stole a job from Postma and Pardy. So yeah, likely the big RH Myers with the smaller LH Enstrom. Buff goes back to D with Chiarot.

I could see the Jets moving Postma actually. I really like him - he's very mobile for a big guy and has fantastic offensive instincts. But that's not what they need more of. They need snarl and steady D. So they got Harrison from CAR who was fine and then got hurt. Pardy filled in when Buff was moved up front recently and played really well in my opinion. So Postma and a pick might fetch them the other top-9 forward they are wanting....

I am so torn with Buff. I know that he wants to play defense, and adding Stafford might allow him to move back to the back end, I don't think I would do it.

If you leave him at forward, you have:

Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Buff, Stafford, Frolik, Perreault and Scheifele, a total of 8 solid forwards with only a tweak away from being able to run three solid lines out there. Secondary scoring no longer an issue.

It also leaves you Myers, Trouba, Enstrom, Stuart (very underrated player) and then a combo of decent bodies for a bottom pair.

Buff has always been a good soldier, I think he is a bit overrated because of his deficiencies wherever you play him, but he is a solid player. Keeping him at forward and picking up another third line winger really changes the whole complexion of this club.

@yave1964

I wonder if Burmistrov would come back. Really good 2 way player with speed and hands...couldn't handle the terrible coaching they had there.

So funny i thought of him!

He is still under contract thru the remainder of the season and then is free to come back from his self imposed exile in mother Russia. The state fo the Russian economy and the coaching change in Winnipeg should bring him back next year. Nice kid, absolutely was ruined by the previous regime, still think he might be a decent player some day though his stats are not eye popping in the KHL. Hopefully not another Filitav.

I am so torn with Buff. I know that he wants to play defense, and adding Stafford might allow him to move back to the back end, I don't think I would do it.

If you leave him at forward, you have:

Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Buff, Stafford, Frolik, Perreault and Scheifele, a total of 8 solid forwards with only a tweak away from being able to run three solid lines out there. Secondary scoring no longer an issue.

It also leaves you Myers, Trouba, Enstrom, Stuart (very underrated player) and then a combo of decent bodies for a bottom pair.

Buff has always been a good soldier, I think he is a bit overrated because of his deficiencies wherever you play him, but he is a solid player. Keeping him at forward and picking up another third line winger really changes the whole complexion of this club.

I disagree. Most would right now. Buff is on the ice more when he is on D and he can read plays. Saying he's "dynamic" is an under statement. Remember, he's not the giveaway D-man he was before. Partly because of Maurice's "structure"

Anyway, agree to disagree. But for me the real solution is to get 1, maybe 2, top-9 forwards. Sounds like they are gonna give Armia a look before making a trade.

@yave1964

I wonder if Burmistrov would come back. Really good 2 way player with speed and hands...couldn't handle the terrible coaching they had there.

For the life of me I cannot figure this out. I hope it's not silly pride on the Jets part.

Everyday I wait for a journalist to ask Chevy about Burms....

EDIT: I guess he's under contract. But it's a *KHL* contract. Tell the Ruskies to go pound sand! I'm tired of the Russians to be honest. Clarkie was right.

The one guy who never gets mentioned is Chariot. He's the perfect bottom pairing type. So dependable and chips in with the odd offensive splurge. Becoming a big fan of this kid.

@yave1964  So, can Burms just leave Russia and continue with the Jets? I'm not sure, cause I thought he couldn't leave the Jets that way to begin with. Even if he never turns out to be a scorer, anybody with wheels and hands like that, you would have to make a spot for.

Archived