Most Overrated Superstar NHL Player

JagerMeister

Hard to not TOTALLY agree with this. Should even have a cup on his resume. Overrated goalies....Potvin, Fuhr come to mind. If Grant did not play on a team that scored 8 goals a game, he never even wins a All-star birth, much less multiple Stanley Cups.

This.

Fuhr is an example of a guy who looked great goaltending, but was not a great goaltender. And that's me as an Oilers fan saying that.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I got everyone with the Hasek thing except for the one I was trying to tease (Jager).

We were debating Brodeur vs. Roy vs. Hasek on another thread and he liked Hasek so I was just poking at him (in good fun, I promise).

Of course Hasek isn't over-rated (unless, of course, we're talking goaltending).

And no, Miller doesn't belong in this conversation unless you're trolling for a Rick.

Keep Ovechkin on those teams and you have a strong regular season.

Keep Ovechkin on those teams in the playoffs and he disappears in big moments and you're one and done.  Yes, I am blaming him almost entirely.   I realize hockey is a team sport, but he may be one of the most invisible, counter-productive PPG playoff players I've ever seen.     And game 7s?  He might as well not have bothered going to the rink.  

That, and there's a graveyard full of coaches that will probably tell you what a crap he is to coach.  I mean, the Russian coach thought so much of him that in the game against the US they went like a kazillion rounds in the shootout and Ovechkin didn't get a sniff.   Overrated. 

I gotta call BS on that one ruxpin, While Ovechkin wasnt as good as Crosby or Malkin in the playoffs he didnt disapear at all.

GP    G   A    P

07-08    7      4    5     9

08-09   14    11  10   21(even you gotta admit this has got to be one of the best playoff runs in a while, he could have broken the record for most goals in one playoff season)

09-10   7       5    5    10

10-11   9       5    5    10

11-12   14     5    4     9

12-13   7      1     1     2

58     31   30  61

He only started to really not do much by the 11-12 season, that being said, he hasnt been to shabby in the playoffs with one really great playoff season. Its kinda funny, you are acting as if he is the Marcel Dionne of this generation of hockey players. No, that goes to Jumbo Joe.

Wow. I got everyone with the Hasek thing except for the one I was trying to tease (Jager).

We were debating Brodeur vs. Roy vs. Hasek on another thread and he liked Hasek so I was just poking at him (in good fun, I promise).

Of course Hasek isn't over-rated (unless, of course, we're talking goaltending).

And no, Miller doesn't belong in this conversation unless you're trolling for a Rick.

You would have got me aswell, but i was hanging around with a couple buddies of mine :D

I have to disagree with that assessment. In Mats 2nd year in the league, as a 19 year old, he scored 47 goals and 114 pts with the Nordiques. By any standard, that is an awesome season, not even factoring in that he was a 19 year old kid. If he would have stayed with the Nords and kept playing with Sakic and the boys, I'm sure he would have racked up a few 130+ seasons.

I still disagree, that year was a very high scoring era with players like Selanne and mogilny having really amazing seasons yet never coming close to that number again, im pretty sure goalies were still kinda meh when it came to equipment. he wasnt even top 10 in any category and there were so many players getting 100 points. Its up to you though if you think scoring was very high because the early 90s had more talented players then today, or that goalies were not that good compared to know, hence why there are less 100 point season nowadays.

But, after that ppg chart you showed me. I still wouldnt put him in my HHOF, but since the actual HHOF has low standards i think his induction wasnt as bad as say, Glenn anderson or Dino cicarelli.

@ruxpin@radoran@jammer2

Miller has no place in this conversation. The caveat was Most overrated SUPERSTAR which certainly keeps him out of the conversation as he is only that in one Lumina driving Halibut eating fan from here.

Does one consider Zetterberg a superstar? I don't, not quite and IMHO even watching him for his entire career I don't see him as one and if he is felt that way even with my Wings goggles I think he might be a tad overrated. He usually is in the top 5 or 6 in the league in total shots and finishes with 25 or so goals, he is okay in the dot, constantly bounced out by Babs to his more natural wing position and then back in again, he is damn good on defense but not great and has broken down like three years in a row not counting this one (so far). He does a lot well, but IMHO nothing great, and so I think he gets credit for a lot of the teams success that he does not deserve.I still love him, but he is not a superstar.

Not sure about Zetterberg. I mean, Datsyuk isnt much better than Zets,

But Toews will never win an art ross or a pearson.

Crosby will never win a Selke. Toews is much better defensivly and knows how to shut down opposing players as well as play great offensivly. He knows how to play in all three zones and never cheats to get an extra step in the offensive zone. With 1 minute left in a tie game, I'd rather have Toews out on the ice because he will protect his net first and work from there. I'm not saying Toews is better than Crosby or anything, I'm just saying Toews is in the same tier as Crosby.

Archived