Jeff Petry as good as gone at the deadline - Update: GONE

JR Ewing

Is Petry a UFA or is he signed beyond this year??? I would need to do more research on him to truly say if this would be a fair trade i'm not real familiar with the guy i don't watch much Oiler hockey.

He's UFA, though the Oilers gave his agent permission to talk to teams in an effort to work out a deal for term before any trade.

He's UFA, though the Oilers gave his agent permission to talk to teams in an effort to work out a deal for term before any trade.

He is a little lighter than Coburn but still has decent size. It would be nice to add another right hand shot to the blueline for sure Flyers only have one in Luke. Coburn always plays the right side but he is a left hand shot....never understood this it is mostly what leads to all his fumbles of the puck.

I would hate to give up Coburn though for basically a rental....it would have to be sweeten with a pick or something or i'd have to hold onto him with hopes of a better deal.

He is a little lighter than Coburn but still has decent size. It would be nice to add another right hand shot to the blueline for sure Flyers only have one in Luke. Coburn always plays the right side but he is a left hand shot....never understood this it is mostly what leads to all his fumbles of the puck.

That IS a bit different, actually. Coaches have long shown a preference for putting a left-handers along the left side and righties on the right, to make defensive plays easier along the boards. It's a preferences that has generally been shown to have a real element statistically. Some guys prefer playing the off-side, but it is a bit odd to see only one right-handed shot out of 3 guys playing RD.

I would hate to give up Coburn though for basically a rental....it would have to be sweeten with a pick or something or i'd have to hold onto him with hopes of a better deal.

So would I.

• 2 weeks later...

Petry gets his ticket out of Oil country to Montreal.

In return the Oilers get a second round pick and a conditional 3rd / 4th / 5th.

Not bad for a player who was not going to walk in free agency.

Petry gets his ticket out of Oil country to Montreal.

In return the Oilers get a second round pick and a conditional 3rd / 4th / 5th.

Not bad for a player who was not going to walk in free agency.

Damn Kimmo fetched as much as the kid did after not playing in a year almost...wow.

Damn Kimmo fetched as much as the kid did after not playing in a year almost...wow.

Never ever doubt a GM's willingness to pay more for famous hockey players. Also, I can't help but imagine that playing for a perennial loser tends to be a drag on a player's trade value.

Never ever doubt a GM's willingness to pay more for famous hockey players.

Not sure of the popularity thing you maybe right. But Kimmo does have Cup experience to which ups his value to make it worth the risk.

Not sure of the popularity thing you maybe right. But Kimmo does have Cup experience to which ups his value to make it worth the risk.

It's something that I've paid attention to for about 20 years, across hockey, baseball, etc. It probably exists in football, but then I'd have to pay attention. Ugh... Anyway, GMs are much like a lot of people when it comes to grocery shopping: for every person that goes through the store and finds the best unit price, store brand, etc, many/most will find the most well known name brand and throw it in the cart, even if it costs a fair bit more.

Agreed about the experience: Timonen's played 15 rounds of playoff hockey in his career. Petry hasn't played a minute.

Anyway, yeah... Petry's gone. He's not a great player, but once again, the Edmonton Oilers operate under the bizarre notion that a rebuild means that you ship out prime-aged players, and all when you don't have a single player to play his minutes.

Archived