Kane broken collarbone changes the odds in the West

yave1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GFvd8-QI1Vo

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjj

Alex Petrovic hit Patrick Kane in last nights game between the Hawks and the Cats, and Kane fell strange into the boards. Word is he is going to miss anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks with a broken collarbone, seriously changing the odds in the Western conference.

It is likely that Kane is out for the remainder of the regular season, possible that he will miss the first round of the playoffs. Truthfully, he has carried the Hawks all year, most of the players are having anywhere from an average to a below average season, Kane was trying to become the first United States born player to win a scoring title., the injury devastates the Hawks hopes for this season.

It opens things up for the Ducks, Blues and Kings among others and the Hawks who were a favorite in the West will certainly fall back intot he pack if Kane is out at the beginning of the postseason.

tough to really tell from the angles of view there but it looks like Kane was hardly touched.  

did he just "lose an edge " ?  it didn't look like a dive to me either, it looked  too awkward to be premeditated.

I agree the west just became a lot more interesting coming down the stretch.

I agree with the 2:00 cross check, but nothing more.  It's really unfortunate, but he must have hit him (tapped him) at just the wrong moment when his weight was shifted or something.  It doesn't look vicious or premeditated and it doesn't look like a dive.  Just looks like a fluky thing.

Plan the parade route in Nashville.

I'm gonna have to go with these other guys here and say that was not intentional on Petrovic.  Petrovic pushed (tapped) Kane laterally, towards the boards.  Several slo-mo frames later, Kane appears to fall forward onto his right knee, in stride.  That looks suspicious on Kane's part.  He would likely get a warning for diving, but I think the busted clavie is punishment enough.   

The Blackhawks are still a pretty formidable team even without Patrick Kane, but the team NOT having him definitely means the other Western contenders have a better shot at going further in the post season if matched up against Chicago.

The Predators and the recently awakened LA Kings are now looking like the odds on favorites to make it to the Western Conference Finals.

That said, anyone matched against the Hawks (right now, its looking like it probably will be the Blues) will still have their hands full.

And the aforementioned St. Louis team in particular, STILL has a bit of a problem dealing with really fast teams that can score....which the Hawks still resemble even without Kane.

Patrick Kane's clutch performances and penchant for dramatic late game/OT goals will have be overcome by other players on the team stepping up their games...and I believe Chicago still has the kind of personnel that can overcome even a huge loss like Kane. 

Huge Hawks fan here and a regular season ticket holder for 32 years.  I was at the game last night and had a great view of the play.  In my opinion the play was just an awful fluke.   Really bad luck for Kane.  I don't think that a suspension is warranted even though it was a somewhat careless play by Petrovic.   But no way was it a dive either.  Having played the game, it would be foolhardy to take a dive from that angle when so close to the boards.  Kane would not do that.  He also might have caught an edge.  Sadly, it was a perfect storm with an ill timed check, and an ackward fall.   Can the Hawks survive this, yes, but they are no longer the favorite.

Huge Hawks fan here and a regular season ticket holder for 32 years.  I was at the game last night and had a great view of the play.  In my opinion the play was just an awful fluke.   Really bad luck for Kane.  I don't think that a suspension is warranted even though it was a somewhat careless play by Petrovic.   But no way was it a dive either.  Having played the game, it would be foolhardy to take a dive from that angle when so close to the boards.  Kane would not do that.  He also might have caught an edge.  Sadly, it was a perfect storm with an ill timed check, and an ackward fall.   Can the Hawks survive this, yes, but they are no longer the favorite.

At this point, with the team faltering a bit before that win against Florida, I would think if the Hawks had any players on their radars for the trade deadline, they'd ramp up efforts to try and land someone perhaps before the deadline madness approaches.

Like I said before, the Blackhawks quite a complete team and while losing Kane does put a huge dent in how far they can go, I still wouldn't categorize this as "crippling" for the team.

Still though, i am sure the Hawks now, more than ever, would probably like to add a scoring type winger if they can via trade.

Obviously, no single player will be able to replace Kane (not without some blockbuster deal anyways), but a group of other wingers working together and contributing certainly can. And for guys like Hossa, Saad, Versteeg, Bickell.....hey, those guys get a chance to shine before the playoffs even start.

Here is an article from NHL.com talking about some of the options the Blackhawks may have in dealing with Kane's injury:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=755142&navid=nhl:topheads

Sounds to me like the Hawk GM also believes his team is complete enough where they have guys that can step up....but perhaps a little outside insurance sure can't hurt.

As I said in the thread I started last night... I like Kane, but that was embellishment gone wrong.,

Jim I didn't see yours or I wouldn't have started this one (start putting your threads in the headliners at the top!!) If i knew how to merge the two threads I would.

Horrible dive, he probably cost the Hawks any chance at the cup with stupidity. Glad that Petrovic didn't get any type of punishment.

@Puckblocker

Teravainen recalled today. He was only playing 10-12 minutes a game in his first stint, if he gets top six minutes he should put up good offensive numbers, it would be foolhardy to think that he will be the complete player that Kane is, but he can provide offense and the rest of the team can do the rest......I don't see them as the team to beat, maybe 4th or 5th without Kane but with Teravainen and a smart trade, they might move up. Plenty of cap room now....

Jim I didn't see yours or I wouldn't have started this one (start putting your threads in the headliners at the top!!) If i knew how to merge the two threads I would.

Horrible dive, he probably cost the Hawks any chance at the cup with stupidity. Glad that Petrovic didn't get any type of punishment.

Personally, I am all for two separate threads, @yave1964 . Please, let's NOT  merge them.

The first one, people can argue dive or not till the cows come home. I don't care to get into that sort of 'same ol, same ol' discussion.

Your thread here can be used to talk about the actual business of hockey moving forward and odds for the Blackhawks regarding the injury.

I prefer this.

Two very different subject matters, IMO.

There is a THIRD thread, Kane Injury, in the Florida Panthers forum, however, I think is redundant, but that may be just me.   :)

No worries my friend. Only Mentioned it so if people already saw it I didn't look like a moron repeating myself. Well... MORE of a moron anyway...

Archived