Hawks-Lightning tonight

Chicago Hawkie

It will be the first in a series of "put up or shut up" games for the Hawks.  I am glad for the 3-0 shutout of the Panthers, but the Lightning will be a much tougher test.

We've had difficulty with that team even when completely healthy, so I am realistically not very optimistic about this matchup.

Equally a measuring stick game for the Lightning.

The Hawks, even without Patrick Kane, have every bit the speed and skill the Bolts have....but Chicago has something the Bolts can only gain through games played and that is experience.

The experience of players that have seen the highs and lows of regular seasons, playoffs, and two recent Stanley Cups.

Looking forward to a good game, @Chicago Hawkie , but of course, I am hoping the Bolts defend home ice and come away with a very convincing win.  

;)

Didn't start out that way, but the Bolts took this game going away.

I really didn't care for the 'fancy stuff' they tried pulling (particularly on the PP), nor for the stupid penalties they were taking early on, but the defense and Ben Bishop held and after that the Bolts got a bit more workmanlike as the game wore on and probably took advantage of the Hawks' fatigue after they played the night before.

If anything, I hope the Lightning took notes from the Chicago PP...as the Hawks, despite not scoring this night, at the very least made a couple passes and simply PUT PUCKS ON NET!

Very straightforward approach and on most nights, probably pretty effective....just not tonight.

Still though, it is a better approach than what the Bolts tried doing early on, which seemed to me, they were looking for the "perfect play" and setup...and you simply aren't going to get that against the likes of a team like the Chicago Blackhawks.

4-0 win, I am happy with the result if not the entire effort of the game.

But anytime the Bolts can beat a legit Stanley Cup contender like Chicago, Patrick Kane or no, it is cause to be happy.

Hawks still have plenty to give worry to the other Western Conference opponents in the playoffs.

Archived