Kimmo's Hawks debut

JackStraw

Cut the bullshit. Criticizing a guy for his production in 3 games, after missing the previous 60+ with a blood clot, is not only ridiculously short-sighted and unfair, it's classless. His coming back is tough, end of story. You wouldn't have said d-ck it he wasn't a former Flyer. Crapping on a guy who managed to come back from that is low, but it's especially low  when the only reason you're saying something is to annoy a rival team's fans.

Late to the party? This goes all the way back to the thread where Polaris and I said the Flyers (you know - the team of the fans I'm trying to annoy) made out in the deal because a 2nd rounder and another pick to be determined (could end up another 2nd depending on how the Hawks do) was too much risk for a player who is 40 and "missed the previous 60+ with a blood clot".  Somehow that translated into us "hating" on Timmonen which is so far fetched and full of Flyer paranoia it's laughable. 

I have lots of respect for what he's done throughout his career. I've NEVER knocked the guy once in this forum. I still haven't. Saying a guy HIS AGE coming off the LAYOFF he has is NOT taking a shot/hating/crapping on/whatever. All I said was that - given those FACTS - he's not worth  what could amount to two 2nd round picks.

So you and all the other Kimmo ball slobberers who can't handle what is a very reasonable analysis can go F yourselves or go read another forum. And yeah - "slobberer" is the right term because I've never seen such overreaction to such a small amount of criticism of a player (and I use the term "criticism" there very loosely).

On top of that - you know darn well that if Timmonen had a goal and 4 assists and was averaging 20 minutes of ice time per night the entire ball slobberer group would be out in full force telling Polaris and I how wrong we were and what "haters" we are. So there's that, too.

Am I trying to tweak a few with the #warrior nonsense? You bet. Just like I've seen a few similar posts in other threads clearly meant to tweak Polaris and I.  Because Flyers fans have never tried to antagonize Pens fans. :blink[1]: No harm no foul if it's all in fun...but I sure do see a whole lot of "can dish it out but can't take it" going on.

Let's put it this way - if that other thread didn't get out of hand (through no fault of anyone's but the slobberers) I'm not even posting about what Timmonen has or hasn't done since the trade.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@B21

Just to try and keep it real.....that other thread didn't get out of hand *just* because of the people defending their categorization of Kimmo as a warrior. In fact I think the initial shot across the bow was from someone chastising those called him a warrior. Then you back people into a corner over that statement with a few snarky comments and...well, you get that whole mess right there. I'm not gonna go back and read it, that's what I remember from reading it at the time, but blaming other people for the fact that you're still ragging about it is a bit disingenuous.

Just my two cents, I'm not in this argument, but for the record I have no problem with calling a guy that played here 10 years a warrior, either. Not sure why it was worth your incredulity to be honest

@B21

Just to try and keep it real.....that other thread didn't get out of hand *just* because of the people defending their categorization of Kimmo as a warrior. In fact I think the initial shot across the bow was from someone chastising those called him a warrior. Then you back people into a corner over that statement with a few snarky comments and...well, you get that whole mess right there. I'm not gonna go back and read it, that's what I remember from reading it at the time, but blaming other people for the fact that you're still ragging about it is a bit disingenuous.

Sorry but the big bone of contention was the thinking that - at this stage of his career - a 2nd and another 2nd or 3rd was too much. The "warrior" comments were initially not meant to "tweak". In fact, my first actual comments on that subject were these: 

I do have an "issue' with all this "warrior" nonsense.  He's doesn't fit that for me.  That kind of deference - in my humble opinion - should be reserved for guys who had to overcome a lot more than Timmonen to play (or continue playing) in the NHL.

Where is the snark there? I even expanded on it a few posts later (gave some examples of who fit that mold for me) and was told that apparently I don't like policemen and fireman as a result. :blink[1]:  Christ, I even made sure to include Clarke in my group (no snark - he is). Still not enough I guess. After that, all bets off - and none of my posts were deleted.

Just my two cents, I'm not in this argument, but for the record I have no problem with calling a guy that played here 10 years a warrior, either. 

So we have different opinions on what makes a player a "warrior". In other words, we can respectfully disagree. 

Not sure why it was worth your incredulity to be honest

Why? For the same reasons Flyers fans voice their opinions about what Pens fans say about their own players or feel the need to add snark of their own. How many times are we having a discussion about Malkin when some elbows he threw a few years ago are brought up.  Or a conversation about Crosby when something he did in 2008 is added to the conversation.  And then the random shots at the Pens that pop up in completely unrelated threads. For example...

That said, no ones threatening to sell the team to Vegas or Kansas City. That's a sure fire bet to get some love from Bettma... Uh I mean the "fates". 

And for the record, none of us took umbrage with that one (and many others).  Again - some can dish it out. Can't seem to take it.  Which is exactly what is going on here. This goes waaayyy beyond "warrior". Dead horse - how dare a few Pens fans say a 40 year old Timmonen coming off a year-long layoff is not worth what the Hawks gave up. I know I went to great lengths to explain why - without any snark - in that other thread. 

@B21

Well I actually agree the Flyboys got a relative steal for Kimmo.

I can tell you reading the other thread in real time there was a disconnect (as always) between what was being said and what was being heard, on both sides. Which leads to people taking higher umbrage than is actually warranted based on the other poster's comments, which leads us to where we are here.

So when a comment is made like the one below, which is basically blaming the other parties to the ridiculous argument and absolving oneself of continuing that argument in childish fashion elsewhere (pot calling kettle black alert, as I know I get all 10 year oldish at times)...well, I'm just not sure how it's everybody else's fault I guess.

"if that other thread didn't get out of hand (through no fault of anyone's but the slobberers) I'm not even posting about what Timmonen has or hasn't done since the trade."

Plus the Ultimate Warrior can't skate

@B21

Outstanding! Even more bizarre I was just thinking about the final coke fueled gun blazing scene of Scarface last night.

If you want a good laugh, there is a parody of that scene (combined with a few others from the movie) done by kids - like 7-8 year olds.  Instead of "fu--" they say "fudge".  The pile of coke on the table is replaced with a pile of popcorn.  Pretty funny stuff but kinda twisted, too.

Late to the party? This goes all the way back to the thread where Polaris and I said the Flyers (you know - the team of the fans I'm trying to annoy) made out in the deal because a 2nd rounder and another pick to be determined (could end up another 2nd depending on how the Hawks do) was too much risk for a player who is 40 and "missed the previous 60+ with a blood clot".  Somehow that translated into us "hating" on Timmonen which is so far fetched and full of Flyer paranoia it's laughable. 

I have lots of respect for what he's done throughout his career. I've NEVER knocked the guy once in this forum. I still haven't. Saying a guy HIS AGE coming off the LAYOFF he has is NOT taking a shot/hating/crapping on/whatever. All I said was that - given those FACTS - he's not worth  what could amount to two 2nd round picks.

So you and all the other Kimmo ball slobberers who can't handle what is a very reasonable analysis can go F yourselves or go read another forum. And yeah - "slobberer" is the right term because I've never seen such overreaction to such a small amount of criticism of a player (and I use the term "criticism" there very loosely).

On top of that - you know darn well that if Timmonen had a goal and 4 assists and was averaging 20 minutes of ice time per night the entire ball slobberer group would be out in full force telling Polaris and I how wrong we were and what "haters" we are. So there's that, too.

Am I trying to tweak a few with the #warrior nonsense? You bet. Just like I've seen a few similar posts in other threads clearly meant to tweak Polaris and I.  Because Flyers fans have never tried to antagonize Pens fans. :blink[1]: No harm no foul if it's all in fun...but I sure do see a whole lot of "can dish it out but can't take it" going on.

Let's put it this way - if that other thread didn't get out of hand (through no fault of anyone's but the slobberers) I'm not even posting about what Timmonen has or hasn't done since the trade.

There's nothing reasonable about anything you said on the matter. I don't give a flying f-ck what some Flyers fan on this site or any others said in the past to irritate your ******. It has nothing to do with me, Timonen, or anyone else giving the man credit for being able to come back from what he did - which is tough regardless of what you think. That's not debatable. Coming back from that kind of injury and playing while you still have it is tough. Trying to rationalize your statements because somebody hurt your feelings in the past is something an upset child would do and since you are not a child it's just plain spineless.

Edit: V-gina is a banned worse? Wow, that's soft admins. Very soft.

There's nothing reasonable about anything you said on the matter. I don't give a flying f-ck what some Flyers fan on this site or any others said in the past to irritate your ******. It has nothing to do with me, Timonen, or anyone else giving the man credit for being able to come back from what he did - which is tough regardless of what you think. That's not debatable. Coming back from that kind of injury and playing while you still have it is tough. 

Edit: V-gina is a banned worse? Wow, that's soft admins. Very soft.

Forgive me if I want to hold off on calling the guy a "warrior" (or any other comparable term) before he sets foot on the ice again - which is exactly what was going on.  With each game he plays he's earning that for me.  That said, at the risk of trivializing the blood clot issue (not my intent), to me it's simply further down the list of things players have had to overcome.  Once the blood clots are treated, the don't impact your ability to play hockey.  That's not the case with.....

Clarke playing with diabetes and won a couple of MVP's...

Bryan Berard coming back from a debiliating eye injury and seven eye surgeries...

Lemiuex playing the day of his last chemotherapy treatment not to mention playing most of his career with a debiliating back injury...

Those are just some examples. 

I feel the same way about Timmonen as I do Pascal Dupuis (or Vokoun if he had come back). I think Dupuis coming back from a torn ACL at his age is more impressive than coming back from his blood clots. Stew on that.

Trying to rationalize your statements because somebody hurt your feelings in the past is something an upset child would do and since you are not a child it's just plain spineless.

LOL. I've been around a long time so clearly it takes a lot more to hurt my feelings. You said I was only voicing an opinion on Timmonen to tweak people (not the case originally) and I gave you examples of things clearly meant to tweak Pens fans. Though one does not justify other. :ph34r:  Just me telling you to lose the holier-than-thou attitude because that goes on all the time. You surprisingly only got upset when it involved your - admitted - most favorite Flyer.

Lets not forget ... I started all of that mess by saying Hextall did a great job getting so much for Timonen. Lol. Flyers fans said the same thing (essentially) but I was the a-hole for daring to say it too. Lol.

Man that was funny.

Lets not forget ... I started all of that mess by saying Hextall did a great job getting so much for Timonen. Lol. Flyers fans said the same thing (essentially) but I was the a-hole for daring to say it too. Lol.

Man that was funny.

You bastard.  ;)

• 2 months later...

@Polaris922

Healthy scratch in an elimination game.  Great guy.  Props for the comeback. Waste of two 2nds by the Hawks.  They get here without him.

He's been a #Warrior playing as many games as he could.  Now when the Hawks win on Saturday the Flyers will be properly compensated with a second - second round pick.   :P

He's been a #Warrior playing as many games as he could.  Now when the Hawks win on Saturday the Flyers will be properly compensated with a second - second round pick.   :P

You read my mind (see thread in Sabres section).  ;)

Again - props to Kimmo. Bad trade for Chicago.

Timonen has looked bad in this series, the Ducks are all big and fast and have been targeting him when he's been on the ice.  It hasn't mattered which line is out either they have all had their way with him.  His performance this post season hasn't  been Willie Mays stumbling around bad, but it has been just a notch above it.  

I haven't liked watching him play, he looks weak and slow.  He hasn't been able to do his job which is to give 10 minutes a night so Seabrook and Keith can have some rest.

He's one of my favorite Flyers and I will remember him in our sweater.

just think the Hawks made a very bad deadline deal, and Hextall raped them.

Yep, take the money and run, cause the Hawks probably won't be dealing with Hexy much after this fiasco. A shame to see such a warrior like Kimo not be able to perform like he usually would. 8 months off with a deadly blood clot situation can do that to you.....he really took some chances trying to make one last run. Who says the Cup does not matter to Europeans, huh? Guy risked his life to take his shot at it.

Yep, take the money and run, cause the Hawks probably won't be dealing with Hexy much after this fiasco. A shame to see such a warrior like Kimo not be able to perform like he usually would. 8 months off with a deadly blood clot situation can do that to you.....he really took some chances trying to make one last run. Who says the Cup does not matter to Europeans, huh? Guy risked his life to take his shot at it.

Warrior ;) but in fairness, his play was pretty bad shortly before the injury bug as well. The time off just sealed the deal.

Yep, take the money and run, cause the Hawks probably won't be dealing with Hexy much after this fiasco.

I cannot imagine the 'hawks didn't "vet" Timonen prior to the trade.  They had to have sent some scouts to watch him work out , it's not like Hextall hid Kimo's condition .  It was a move that didn't work out , that happens as far as "raping" goes , not hardly.  Raping is here's Alex Goligoski, for James Neal and ah what the hell howsabout you throw in that Niskanen too...that's raping.

@mojo1917

He played well for you guys until the second half of his last season playing there. I understand his effort to get on the Cup, just think the Hawks made a very bad deadline deal, and Hextall raped them.

The Pens got more out of Crankshaft (also dealt for two 2nds) which isn't saying much.

@mojo1917

I dunno bud... I agree the Gologoski trade was a steal, but this one is pretty much ripping the Hawks off as well. History aside, player X hasn't factored in on anything positive for the Hawks.

In 31 games now he's a minus 3 without a single point, even after starting out with quality ice time on the power play unit. THAT has cost them a 2nd and a 3rd so far? For what pretty much any #7 d-man in the league brings? He's actually hurt the Hawks in a way in that they have two good defenseman prospects that could have benefitted from his ice time.

Sorry, but that's at least involuntary deviate sexual intercourse at the trade line.

@Polaris922

LOL...

can't rape the willing can you ? and Hextall wasn't slipping a roofie into Stan's manhattan... the trade has not been good for the 'hawks,  It hasn't worked out, Timonen has been abused by the Ducks especially , he was almost okay vs the Wild but often couldn't handle their speed, like I said, he's been hard to watch. 

i know of no one who can "see into the future" though, and the 'hawks are in "win now mode" since next year the salaryman cometh and they'll have to dismantle a team they drafted and developed .

I can see where in March 2015 an 85 % Timonen would be a risk worth taking , certainly worth a second round pick  that may or  may not become a regular NHL player based upon % not upon anecdotal "well, duncan keith" .And if all goes well and Chicago wins the cup and Timonen contributes at all , no one in the fan base or organization will care one iota.  

If the Flyers wind up with 2 second round picks it's a win for them long term maybe, Chicago's already built their team and are in their window for winning, the value of a draft pick is different for them.  

I agree ,It's not the best deal ever; but hardly Charles Barkely for pu-pu platter of Pheonix suns. ( jeff hornacek, tim perry and andrew lang)  which is the worst trade in the history of trades imo. 

Edit: i can't believe i didn't say "it's not like Blysma for a 3rd"   :D

I cannot imagine the 'hawks didn't "vet" Timonen prior to the trade.  They had to have sent some scouts to watch him work out , it's not like Hextall hid Kimo's condition .  It was a move that didn't work out , that happens as far as "raping" goes , not hardly.  Raping is here's Alex Goligoski, for James Neal and ah what the hell howsabout you throw in that Niskanen too...that's raping.

Oh yeah, I am positive the Hawks did their due diligence. I'm betting numerous doctors had a look at him, and came to consensus that he is healthy enough to play. The Hawks probably thought he would recover and progress as he started skating. I'm forgetting at the moment Mojo....what were the stipulations that the Hawks and Flyer put in for this specific trade??

Archived