Tampa Bay Lightning: Charged for the 2014-15 Playoffs

tampabaylightning.jpg

Will be posting about the team as they approach the playoffs.

Trends, players, coaching decisions, etc.

Lightning fans, as well as others, more than welcome to talk Bolts here.

Barring a complete collapse of the Tampa Bay Lightning, it is a good bet the team will be making the post season, question becomes, where do they finish?

Will they overtake the division from Montreal? Will they end up with home ice in the opening round?

Whom will they face? Habs, Wings, Bruins, Caps, or one of the teams scrambling to get in to the last playoff spot?

Bolts playoff push continues with a home game against a high powered Dallas Stars offense tonight.

And according to this link from the Stars' website:

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=757084&navid=DL|DAL|home

Tyler Seguin will be a game time decision and Jhonas Enroth will be in goal for Dallas.

Seguin could be a difference maker for the visiting green n white...but Enroth over Lehtonen against a good Bolts offense? Hmmm....

Even though its an East-West matchup, points are still important to TB as they try to chase down the Canadiens for the division lead....and the fact that the Bolts will be seeing ALOT of their division after this game, means they will grab two points whenever, and against whomever they can.

Depending on goaltending, this particular matchup can be very low scoring or very high scoring...doesn't look too good for something in between given these two offenses.

Puck drop at 7PM EST / 6 Central from Amalie Arena in downtown Tampa.

Go Bolts, GO!

Bolts grab themselves yet another two points and keep pace with the still streaking Montreal Canadiens.

TB came up 5-4 winners against the Stars.

Not surprised at all the game had as many goals as it did given the two teams offenses, but the Lightning's defensive coverage and tactics in dealing with Dallas Stars' rushes was concerning.

Both teams had many good scoring chances, but it seemed to me, the Stars did a better job of at least challenging Bolts players as they blazed through the neutral zone than TB did when Dallas did the same.

Bolts just backed off way too much and gave the Stars forwards just the type of time and space they like in taking good quality shots at the goal.

That simply can't happen if the Bolts are going to go far in the playoffs.

Sure they won the game, but Dallas isn't known for their defense. They WILL give you chances to get back in games.

Chances are though, stingy playoff teams will NOT give the Bolts those same chances.

Andrei Vasilevskiy looked ok in this game. He has looked better in others, but he got the job done here.

His best play was on a Braydon Coburn turnover....where Coburn made a bonehead clearing attempt from the corner to the middle of the ice in front of his own goal....Dallas player of course, picks it off, and the puck was ticketed to the back of the net...except Vasilevskiy was on point, and said NO!

That started a rush the other way where the Bolts ultimately netted a goal of their own...and ironically, despite Coburn with the stupid clearing attempt, ended up with an assist on that goal. Go figure.

Anyways, a win is a win, not gonna complain about that, but the Lightning best tighten that defense, otherwise, it won't really matter how well they play elsewhere, they may be playing 'catch up' the whole time in the post season, which will most likely lead to an early exit.

Showdown time tomorrow night against the Montreal Canadiens.

Lightning are within 2 points of the Habs after beating the Stars on Saturday and a regulation win vs Montreal brings the Bolts dead even once again for the top spot not only in the division, but the Eastern Conference as well.

Habs still do have a game in hand, but the Bolts hold and edge in ROW's, which of course, would be the first tie breaker after 82 games played.

First things first though....gotta actually GET the win against the Habs.

Montreal didn't do so well in the state of California, dropping all three games against the Cali teams, but prior to that, were riding a nice 4 game win streak that included two tough grinding teams, the Blues and Blue Jackets.

Throw all that out the window in a Mon-TB matchup however as the Habs sport one of the better defenses in the league in terms of goals given up and good PK units, and also are pretty good on the road at 20-13.

On the bright side, in two meetings already this year, the Bolts are 2-0, outscoring Montreal 11-3 in those games, 4 for 11 on the PP, and 7 for 7 on the PK.

What do all those numbers mean for the matchup Tuesday?

Probably a whole lot of nadda!   :P

Should be a very good contest for the top spot in the East either way!

Go Bolts, GO!

Big win in OT against the Montreal Canadiens, but now facing another showdown against Boston....without three important players to the team.

Ondrej Palat blocked a shot against the Habs and is out 2-3 weeks, Braydon Coburn, whom the Bolts traded for because of injury to Radko Gudas, is out himself (LBI) 4-6 weeks, and Cedric Paquette (UBI) will be out 10-14 days.

That is three physical players the Bolts will make due without against a PHYSICAL team like Boston.

Well, one thing is for sure.....if the rest of the team wants to see what kind of character they have, this game will be telling.

Players taking their places:

Syracuse captain Mike Angelidis will be called up (not the way I would have liked to have seen him play once again for the Bolts, but at least he is a physical, no-nonsense guy), JT Brown will be re-inserted into the lineup (he had been a healthy scratch for  few games recently), and no surprise, Jonathan Drouin will be getting his chance to replace Ondrej Palat on the Triplets Line as the LW there.

Drouin has been spending time bouncing around different lines and lots of time on Boyle and Morrow's 4th line, this is his chance to show the belongs with top six minutes guys all the time.

Look for Boston to be extra physical with that Triplets Line looking to have them worry about anything BUT making plays and scoring goals.

I would imagine on defense, either Luke Witkowski or Nikita Nesterov will be taking Braydon Coburns spot on the roster.

Given the nature of the Bruins, I would have called up JP Cote up from Syracuse.

Not the quickest or most gifted skater, but certainly serviceable and can match most of the Bruins players' physical play.

A tough task against Boston just got made tougher with these injuries.

Go BOLTS, GO!!

You guys STILL have more talent lines 1-4 than the Bruins. Get it done!

@TropicalFruitGirl26  Must REALLY suck, to give away top assets for Coburn and have him gone for the playoff push. At least he will be back for the playoffs by all accounts.

Yep.

Basically one of those situations where the Bolts are back to square one, so to speak.

I mean, I honestly do NOT think the Lightning make the deal for Coburn if Radko Gudas is healthy.

Bolts are a bit deficient with the overall physical play from the blue line, Gudas was a big part of that, so Coburn apparently was the guy most readily available....and at the picks and Gudas himself price...now the Lightning have neither player and are out the picks.

**** happens...pardon my four letter word usage, not really my posting style, but I am a bit pissed.

Not at anyone in particular, just the situation.

Now, not only for today's game but moving beyond that, if the Bolts want physical defensemen or forwards, they DO have a couple in the minors....problem is, the REASON they've been down there for the year is because they lack the overall skill level the Lightning want to have on the big club.

Well, certain guys are going to get some playing time they otherwise wouldn't have gotten, other guys will be getting increased minutes, and others, like Drouin, will be getting their big chance to make contributions on a real scoring line.

The big thing I can see with that Triplets line (2nd line) is that they are all small, not so physical guys, which is something I am sure Boston will try to exploit.

Palat is an underrated physical player.

On that Triplets Line, Johnson is the playmakter/scorer, Kucherov is the sniper, and Palat was the scorer/checker.

Obviously, Drouin can't check like Palat, so that line, if given the time and space will have to capitalize on each and every opportunity given.

It would also help if the top Callahan-Stamkos-Killorn line would create offense, forcing the Bruins to split their best defensive coverage between the top six guys.

And the Bolts drop another one to the loathesome Bruins once again.

I know this is a true thing in every sport....one team or individual always seems to have another's number.

Side note:

I never really understood the phrase "have their number".

So....they are planning to call them..maybe for a date? Perhaps they have their number for blackmail? Who knows....

Has their number..........."paging number 5, you are scheduled to lose today...paging team 5"

Anyways, I digress....

Bolts pushed the play, outskated the Bruins, hell, uncharacteristically, even BEAT UP on the Bruins....Bolts finished checks, and even used pucks as weapons against Bruins players, some of which ended up bloodied and with stitches.

Bolts fell behind, then tied the game forcing OT, then comes the shoot out, and the inevitable loss.

This is worrisome.

I honestly believe the Bolts to be the more skilled team overall, lines 1-4, and the defense to be much more mobile too.....yet the thought of possibly meeting the Bruins in an opening round of the playoffs is disturbing.

Not sure what more the Lightning can do against this team.

Some very bizarre plays and instances occurred during yesterday's game...both for and against.....one of which was, IMO, a super soft blue line goal Ben Bishop let in.

Was soft because it was a straight line shot (albeit a one timer), but Bishop was not bothered by screens, had no tips or deflections to contend with and he had CLEAR line of sight to the shooter and seemed to be squared up facing him.

Shot just went in for a goal and at the time, that put Boston up 2-1.

The Bolts had to make due without Ondrej Palat, Braydon Coburn, and Cedric Paquette.

But honestly, I am not going to make not having those players an excuse.

The Lightning DID play well enough to win...they executed, capitalized on mistakes...did everything well despite the missing players, except win.

Credit Tuuka Rask for coming up big when his team needed him to....including in the shoot out when he shut down the Bolts skaters.

Bolts did gain the consolation loser point to give them a share of first in the division at 91 pts with Montreal, but that loss just stung.

There are some games during the season that I want real, real bad for my team.....games against the Bruins and Penguins, two teams the Bolts have had real issues with in recent seasons, are definitely among them.

I know Coach Cooper will have his guys turn the page on this one quickly.

Really, what else can he say or do with them?

They've got a six game homestand coming up, and some real good teams will be in it....including these very same Bruins in the middle of that homestand.

The loss of key players overall didn't affect the Bolts that much during this 3-2 SO loss, but we will see what kind of toll it takes during this upcoming stretch of games.

Winnipeg, Montreal, Detroit, Boston, Florida, Nashville.

Teams all in playoff slots already or fighting to stay in / gain one.

• 2 weeks later...

3-1 since my last post...Bolts dropped a close 2-1 game to the heavy Western Jets, but looked pretty sharp against the following Habs, Wings, and yes, even the Bruins last night.

Some key guys not being available throughout the last four games (though Ondrej Palat is back in in full form once again) but that hasn't seemed to slow up the team or change the way it plays.

Seems like the Lightning have a true total team effort going on with no one really sitting out for stretches as healthy scratches.

This will bode well heading into the playoffs, as outside of Ben Bishop, no single player being out of the lineup will be a huge detriment to the team's success rate.

My main gripe with this team for about the last three seasons or so has been physicality.

While the Bolts STILL won't be recognized as one of the top checking teams in the league, seems to me they play their game to perfection (speed, skating, passing, north-south play) but now incorporate some good checking skills and DO finish hits when needed.

And that is all I can really ask for. Can't expect this team to play as someone they are not, but nice to see guys like Jason Garrison, Ondrej Palat, Ryan Callahan, and even guys like Matt Carle, Mark Barberio and Steve Stamkos, really take to the body when necessary.

They don't have to knock anyone out of their skates (and they don't) but do just enough to make the other team worry that yes, the Bolts WILL finish checks.

Nice win against the Bruins yesterday...exorcizing a demon that has haunted them for a long time...and the Bolts doing their part to help remove Boston from playoff contention while the Sens and Panthers continue to play 'catch up'.

Looking more n more like the Bolts will be matched up against the Red Wings in the 1st round while having home ice (a matchup I like), but TB still has a shot at the division and even number one overall in the East, in which case, they may take on whomever finishes with the final WC spot.

So they could see a team like the Bruins or Senators, or be matched up against the 1st WC Capitals or Pens as well.

Lightning will be readying up for their next game against the Florida Panthers on Tuesday....and while I am rooting for Florida to overtake Boston, if things go right, they WON'T be doing it at the expense of Tampa Bay.

Panthers did beat us last time out against one another...time for a little returning of the favor.

Go Bolts!

Listening to some news heading into tonight's big matchup with the Montreal Canadiens and let me tell you, things are just not falling the Bolts' way.

If there were any questions to be asked as to what this team is made of, what they can do missing certain personnel (we already know they probably CAN'T do without Ben Bishop in the post season), and how deep the organization is, then these last games leading into the playoffs and the start of the playoffs are going to answer those.

Here is a link from Lightning Strikes detailing some injury news:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/jason-garrison-out-3-4-weeks-big-blow-among-lightning-injuries/2223404

Where to start?

How about the defense taking MORE hits.

Bolts lost Radko Gudas right around mid season, then trade him for a guy who could play his minutes (Braydon Coburn), then promptly lose HIM for a stretch of games.....now, we have big 6'8 Andrej Sustr missing 1-2 weeks, and Jason Garrison out for 3-4 weeks.

This of course, will put pressure on the anchors of defense, Victor Hedman and Anton Stralman and will mean increased ice time for Matt Carle and bottom pair defenseman Mark Barberio as well as AHL callups Luke Witkowski and Nikita Nesterov.

Oh yea, and on top of all that, Triplet Center Tyler Johnson is day to day and will NOT be playing against the Habs tonight.

Vladisav Namestnikov will be taking his 2C spot centering Nikita Kucherov and Ondrej Palat.

So......the Bolts have dominated the Canadiens as far as wins all year (unbeaten against the Habs), but now they face them missing SEVERAL key pieces and the team, as a whole, not playing particularly well last games out against Nashville and Detroit.

Lightning come in with a two game losing streak, they have not lost three in a row all year.....they will be challenged to maintain that tonight.

Still though, if the Bolts were one trick ponies, I wouldn't have too much hope for tonight or down the finishing stretch of the season.

TB is more than just a certain player here or there....team does have depth, does have versatile players, and the players they DO have suited up, guys like Bishop, Hedman, Stralman, Stamkos, Callahan, Filppula, just to name a few, are plenty good enough.

We will see what some of these younger guys with added pressure can do moving forward....starting tonight with the Habs.

Go Bolts!

Lightning answered some questions alright.

They sweep the Canadiens on the season series, do it with backup / callup AHL defensemen and no Tyler Johnson...but the Bolts don't feel sorry for themselves and just keep the beat going.

And Victor Hedman did NOT return after the start of the 3rd period, and near as I can tell, he is 'day to day' as well.

Lightning 2012 1st round pick Slater Koekkoek looks like he will be making his NHL debut at just 21 years of age as yet another replacement defenseman.

Lightning are in Toronto tonight and Coach Cooper was interviewed and while it sounds like he certainly would like his team to overtake the Habs and win the division, his concern is the team staying healthy, the team playing well, and if guys need rest, they would get it...even at the expense of the division title, but NOT at the expense of team cohesion.

Good strategy, especially given the sudden rash of injuries.

In other areas, Ben Bishop seems much more focused after the Habs game. He looked a bit lethargic for some reason against the Preds and Wings, but seemed to be himself for Montreal.

Whether he will get the second of a back to back tonight will remain to be seen, but I am betting if Big Ben tells the coach he wants the start, Big Ben will be getting the start.

Cmon, Bolts...no trap game against the lowly Leafs.

Let's get in, play some good hockey, get out WITH NO MORE INJURIES and continue to prepare for the post season and likely opponent, the Detroit Red Wings!

Defensively depleted, the Bolts limped through games against the Leafs and Sens....but rebound VERY strongly against the Florida Panthers (and in fact, eliminate them from playoff contention), and the Lightning also clinch home ice for the opening round of the playoffs.

So what is next?

Well, tied with Montreal in points (though the Habs have a game in hand), they can now focus on the division.

Oh wait....let's get the team playing cohesively first...MUCH more important than the division. ;)

Seriously....no Jason Garrison, no Braydon Coburn, no Victor Hedman, no Andrej Sustr......wow.

And one can really tell the difference when those guys are replaced by Nikita Nesterov, Slater Koekkoek, Mark Barberio, and Luke Witkowski.

Nothing against those guys, but they are really, really GREEN as compared to the missing D-men...with Mark Barberio being the most experienced, and even HE is on a show-me contract and may not even be a Bolt come next season, depending on how things shake out.

Tyler Johnson had been out for a pair of games as well, but was glad to see him back (and producing) in the win against Florida.

Vladislav Namestnikov did a fine job as his replacement on the Triplets Line, but Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, and Nikita Kucherov have such chemistry, you DON'T want those three split up.

Here is to hoping Namestnikov, most likely on the 3rd line now with Johnson back, can help transform THAT line into more of Line 2a.

Awesome that Tampa Bay has so many talented forwards that GOOD players are relegated to bottom six roles!

Still though, this team's fortunes will come down to goaltending (as is always the case for many teams) and a healthy flippin defense!

Last season, the defense was relatively healthy, but had no Ben Bishop.

This season, Ben Bishop is in good form (not his best season, but damned good enough), but now the defense is having to rely on VERY inexperienced guys to see them through!

Pressure is now squarely on the forwards group to maintain the puck on the opposition's end and limit the chances of the other team to exploit the inexperience of most of the Bolts defense.....until TB can get some of those guys back anyways.

Victor Hedman and Jason Garrison being the two biggest pieces the Bolts need back....though I would like to see Coburn's play, which was decent so far, return as well.

Lightning have a couple days off, then finish off the regular season with two home games against the New Jersey Devils and Boston Bruins respectively.

And since the Bolts have clinched home ice, it basically means in addition to those two games, the first two games of the opening round will be at Amalie as well....and possibly against the same Bruins they finish the season against.

So next four games for the Bolts at home.

Sounds good to me....even if we DO have to face down those damned Bruins!  :blink[1]:

@OccamsRazor

Well, hell, from now on, I may have to use those players Fallon nicknames when I post about them...

Jonathan "Glee" Drouin

Andrej "Ruin Me" Vasilevskiy

Valteri "Draco Malfoy" Filppula

and of course,

Vladislav "Russian Bieber" Namestnikov

:)

Those are some good ones no doubt!!!

Archived