Coburn struggling in TB?

hf101

coburn_14798296_8col.jpg

It appears the same issues that many of us Flyer fans complained about regularly are a concern for Bolt fans post trade.  

Coburn's game with the Lightning so far has been above average away from the puck. He's managing gaps well, defending the rush and playing sound defensively down low in the zone and around the net. Where he's run into trouble, however, is reading the Lightning's breakout and effectively distributing or carrying the puck to start a breakout or an offensive rush.

Of course, that skillset -- one that, say, Victor Hedman possesses -- isn't Coburn's strong suit and never has been in the NHL. But Tampa Bay plays a fast, aggressive transition game under Jon Cooper. Defensemen are expected to make quick decisions with the puck and hit moving targets as the team moves up ice and into the offensive third.

This has led to some uninspiring results in on-ice possession numbers for Coburn and his partner, Garrison, who has steadily been a plus possession player with the likes of Andrej Sustr, Radko Gudas, and Nikita Nesterov but has routinely been hemmed in when on-ice with Coburn.

Braydon Coburn has yet to achieve a Corsi For% north of 50% in three games with the Bolts, coming in at 46% vs. Buffalo, 40% vs. Toronto, and an appalling 26% in a 5-4 comeback win over Dallas.

Put simply, Coburn defends well, but he's doing it much too often since coming over to the Lightning, a team which generates its possession advantage by moving the puck quickly out of trouble and carrying it into the offensive zone for long, pressuring shifts on the opposition. So far, Coburn has failed to do much with the puck other than carry it to center ice and dump it in. If this continues, pucks will inevitably start going in behind Ben Bishop and Andrei Vasilevskiy more often than they're going into the other net even with the skilled forward group playing in front of him.

read the whole blog here

I guess there is hope that a pairing of Coburn with Matt Carle will improve the puck movement up the ice.  But as a regular critic of Coburn's play on the ice I don't think a reunion with Carle will make much of a difference.

Was he ever a good player to begin with?

You're asking a guy who has never really liked him. I think he really wastes the physical gifts he has.

He wasn't a bust. He's been in Philly a lot of years and played a lot of minutes. He hid behind Timo and others and was horribly exposed as average at best in their absence.

I'm not sad he's in Tampa, although I have Bishop in fantasy and am hoping he doesn't screw that up.

But,but.....well be had such a great Coach in Berube the last 2 years he didn't learn anything?

He has all the tools...an Ostrich body with a hummingbird's brain...what a waste. Glad he's gone.

Coburn is not a horrible player but he is not and never has been an offensive style player in his life. Coburn would best be described as Chris "Bundy" Therien, a solid player when paired with a #1 dman like Eric Dejardins and pretty much useless when he is not.

But Tampa Bay plays a fast, aggressive transition game under Jon Cooper. Defensemen are expected to make quick decisions with the puck and hit moving targets as the team moves up ice and into the offensive third.

And General Managers are expected to scout effectively and make trades for guys who are likely to fit into the desired system.

Or they can just blame the guy they traded for for being the guy that they traded for.

The former is generally considered more effective.

And General Managers are expected to scout effectively and make trades for guys who are likely to fit into the desired system.

Or they can just blame the guy they traded for for being the guy that they traded for.

The former is generally considered more effective.

Pretty much this. The article is ridiculous, the guy says "this is the player Coburn has always been" and then criticizes him for being that very player after he was traded for? I guess the writer thinks that Yzerman is an idiot and thought that Coburn would magically turn into Paul Coffey. If Coburn is defending well then Yzerman got what he was looking for. Because he is not in fact, an idiot.

Coburn is not a horrible player but he is not and never has been an offensive style player in his life. Coburn would best be described as Chris "Bundy" Therien, a solid player when paired with a #1 dman like Eric Dejardins and pretty much useless when he is not.

Great call with Coburn = Therien.  I've thought that at times, but I don't think I've ever posted it or seen it posted.  Great description/comparison.

Kimmo *masked* Coburn's lack of a brain (a suitable hockey brain at least). He seems to also lack a suitable heart.

the-wonderful-wizard-of-oz-2-350x261.jpg

"Do you want a brain, a heart, or courage, Scareburn?  I can only do one!   And you have to bring me themaker03's broom!"

I would be stunned if a Coburn /Carle pairing isn't an epic disaster.

Good puck mover, but I never thought much of Carle's game outside of that. He was fine with Pronger, but exposed when he did not have him as a partner. But playing with Coburn? Ha! You can't put two "he's better with a partner who is a better player than him" guys on the same pairing.

Far be it for me to defend that boob of a player, but anyone who says, "Braydon Coburn has yet to achieve a Corsi For% north of 50%" or the describe this situation was a player "still finding himself" is a bit of a boob himself  Bedsides the fact the person is using the Corsi "stat", he's doing so after 3 games. The words "rush to judgement" aren't even accurate enough to describe that ridiculousness.

Archived