Elimination Thread: 2014-15 Season

a_elimination1.jpg

I was going to do one of these for the playoffs, but I figured, what the hey, we can do this as teams get eliminated during the regular season for playoff contention for starters.

Then ramp things up when the playoffs actually start and teams get bounced from there.

Commentary, parting shots, etc on eliminated teams....errrr, all in good fun of course... :cool[1]:

Hell, some of these regular season eliminations are actually welcomed by some fan bases, you know, if they subscribe to the ol Tankin Philosophy...

Yea, yea, I think we ALL know certain teams that simply were NOT going to make the post season, thus elimination was a foregone conclusion, but still, this thread can be for those OFFICIAL elimination.

Nothing ever is so until it is official after all, right? Right.

Maybe we can get a moderator to pin this so everyone has easy reference to it for the rest of the season and into the playoffs.

@hf101 , @ruxpin , @radoran , @JR Ewing , @yave1964 ?

So, without further ado, let me present the first of a long line of 29 eliminations, and the first recipient of the thread title 'Elimination Process' trophy, the Buffalo Sabres!!

Hey, look, we all knew the Sabres were gonna struggle, there was talk of being as terrible as possible by some of the fanbase even before the season, due to a certain Mr. McDavid or Jack Eichel to be had....but with the Boston Bruins winning yesterday, that initiated the big fat "E" to appear next to the Buffalo Sabres name in the standings.

Yes, they are official. 

Sabres can win every single game the rest of the season, by 5+ goals, via shut out, and have a bunch of their guys get hat tricks game in, game out and it won't make a damned bit of difference for the playoffs. They are done. Officially. 

Not that any of those things I mentioned (shut outs, hat tricks, winning streaks, etc) would actually HAPPEN with that team, but I thought it made for good hyperbole. :lol:

So there we have it, people, the Buffalo Sabres, #1 of 29 going all the way into June for the 'Elimination Process' award...Congrats, Buffalo, you sure earned it!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It took a lot of hard work, they traded a goalie, the backup got hot so they traded him too. Any top six (using the term loosely) forward on the team who had so much as a hangnail went on IR, the best player on the team was dealt for a head case who is out for the year. They traded for a goalie who was found wanting as a backup with the woefully deficient defense Dallas Stars and another who was ran off the Island. Not everyone can be this bad, it takes dedication and effort. Kudos to the Sabres!

It took a lot of hard work, they traded a goalie, the backup got hot so they traded him too. Any top six (using the term loosely) forward on the team who had so much as a hangnail went on IR, the best player on the team was dealt for a head case who is out for the year. They traded for a goalie who was found wanting as a backup with the woefully deficient defense Dallas Stars and another who was ran off the Island. Not everyone can be this bad, it takes dedication and effort. Kudos to the Sabres!

You think they will be the blueprint for teams in the future in how to throw a season, without really throwing a season?

I think the job was masterful myself.

Sure, there were some obvious ploys as you mentioned, @yave1964 , but overall, outstanding...and even the more obvious ploys could easily be explained away given the direction the team was going.

I was thinking though, yave, the Sabres no longer need to "try so hard" to lose games since they are officially eliminated, but they might still have to.....those Coyotes, Oilers, and Maple Leafs are still gunning pretty hard for that cellar spot.... :D

You think they will be the blueprint for teams in the future in how to throw a season, without really throwing a season?

Once Arizona gets McDavid, Bettman will quickly change the draft rules to prevent Toronto from doing the same.  :confused[1]:

Well, guys, we have recipient #2 of the Dooky Elimination Award...

The good ol Edmonton Oilers.

Despite the fact that the Oilers WILL be the next Canadian franchise to win the Cup before the others (  :P  ), they did indeed, get officially eliminated yesterday with a regulation loss to the Detroit Red Wings.

The two Wild Cards were already out of reach for the hapless Oilers, but Calgary, sitting in third in their division, was not....till last night, when now, if Edm wins all their games, the BEST they could do is tie Calgary...but of course, the Flames have that pesky ROW tie breaker in their favor.

Some have speculated that the Oilers have been trying just as hard as the Sabres to achieve complete inept status, but I think the situations are different.

Whereas Buffalo knew damned well they would be horrid, the Oilers thought they would be good...but inept management of resources, players, and general team attitude seems to have conspired to bring Edmonton close to the futility that is Buffalo.

At some point, I would have thought management saw where things were going, and MIGHT have said (just said 'might', not accusing anyone of anything, mind you..  :D  ), "Screw it....let's go for the high draft pick, let's just throw some lines out there, try playing pond hockey and see what happens".

It IS a tempting thing to do, I know....but maybe Edmonton resisted that and are just the second elimination because they are just so gosh darn bad this year...again...

Congrats to the Oilers once again, they are the second of 29 eliminations before someone raises a Stanley Cup!

I think Arizona is out now too. Doo-doo err, Dookie Award #3.  :P

Well, we ALL KNOW Arizona will be receiving this award sooner than later, but technically, no they are mathematically still in it.

They will just have to wait to get their hot little hands on the Dookie Dog Award. :)

They've got 50pts with 15 games to play. A possible 80 pts.

Mathematically, they can still catch (lol!) Calgary (77 pts), Winnipeg (78 pts) and Minnesota (79 pts).

FWIW, Yotes fans:

Well, we ALL KNOW Arizona will be receiving this award sooner than later, but technically, no they are mathematically still in it.

They will just have to wait to get their hot little hands on the Dookie Dog Award. :)

They've got 50pts with 15 games to play. A possible 80 pts.

Mathematically, they can still catch (lol!) Calgary (77 pts), Winnipeg (78 pts) and Minnesota (79 pts).

Aaaaaaaah! The Sports Club Stats website lied to me. :(  They are calling them eliminated:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

post-1448-0-85910400-1426024670_thumb.pn

Unless they do some really advanced analysis by looking at the schedule and it turns out that Calgary and Winnipeg play each other, thus guaranteeing that one of them will get in. etc...

FYI: The difference between 0.0 and "Out" is that the teams with 0.0 still have a chance > 0. Toronto's is currently 0.000182 I think. The site rounds results to one decimal place.  :)

Supposing Sabres end up with the first draft.  One player, whether it's  McDavid, Eichel, or Hanifin or whoever won't change them from being a poor team.   It's a step upward.

But, a baby step. 

In this morning with another Dooky Award for the Elimination Process.....

Yes, @WordsOfWisdom , NOW the Arizona Coyotes are officially in possession of this dubious distinction.

With the loss to the Chicago Blackhawks last night, the Yotes secured Elimination #3.

Interesting thing about these Yotes...despite their bad season, I've watched them play some really good games here and there, both before the trade deadline and after they unloaded players.

That tells me that Coach Tippett at least has a solid system in place that if the players execute (oh and Mike Smith stops pucks), they have a reasonable shot at winning games.

I don't know what the status of Tippett's contract is as of this posting, but the Yotes did real well during this trade deadline in acquiring not only decent players in return for those given up, but also picks and prospects to go along with some of the young talent already on the team....and they will draft pretty high in this year's draft.

So what are we talking about here?

Perhaps a season or two down the road and the Coyotes could very well be in the mix for not only the playoffs, but to do well in them?

Maybe its just my perception, but they seem somewhat better poised at this stage than the first two eliminations, Buffalo and Edmonton.

Imagine if a guy like Dave Tippett were brought in to Edmonton and given free reign on how to construct that team? Just sayin....

Anyways, congrats to the Arizona Coyotes, this season's 3rd recipient of the Elimination Process award....a nice mixture of skill, execution and horribleness that is very hard to find in one package.

Enjoy the golf courses in the desert!

In this morning with another Dooky Award for the Elimination Process.....

Yes, @WordsOfWisdom , NOW the Arizona Coyotes are officially in possession of this dubious distinction.

With the loss to the Chicago Blackhawks last night, the Yotes secured Elimination #3.

YAY!!!  :P

I've got my fingers crossed that the Leafs are next! I was not impressed with their recent win over Buffalo.

YAY!!!  :P

I've got my fingers crossed that the Leafs are next! I was not impressed with their recent win over Buffalo.

Ok, granted, a win over Buffalo isn't very impressive, but the fact the Leafs WON a game should have been. :P

The Leafs are very close to their award....very close indeed.

However, Carolina or Columbus might go before them.

Ok, granted, a win over Buffalo isn't very impressive, but the fact the Leafs WON a game should have been. :P

The Leafs are very close to their award....very close indeed.

However, Carolina or Columbus might go before them.

Toronto is eliminated with their loss to Vancouver tonight! Woohoo!!!!!!!  :P  Send the dooky award!  :D

Pass the Dookie on dee left hand side!  :P

Leafs are toast! Send the award!

I'm getting goosebumps! I've been waiting for this moment all season long!

My, you ARE an impatient Leafs fan aren't you? ;)

Well, fret no more, the Leafs, as of yesterday, have officially, and undeniably, earned their Elimination Process Award.

It was touch n go for a bit...it looked like either Carolina or Columbus might beat them to it, but some crazy thing called game integrity snuck into both those franchises, leaving the Leafs to continue their freefall, unabated, and into the #4 spot of Dooky Awardom.

Congrats to the Leafs, their fans, the media, and all who made this Award possible!

Parade in downtown Toronto?

We have anotherrrrrrrr Dooooky to Awaaaarrrrrdddd!!

Yes, the 5th team eliminated from this year's SC playoff contention are non other than the Carolina Hurricanes.

The Canes were clinging for dear life while the Bruins scuttled around trying to maintain their hold on the final playoff spot, but with Ottawa's victory last night, and the Sens subsequent move into the 2nd WC ahead of Boston, that pushed the hapless Carolina Hurricanes right off the precipice into the deep, dark, abyss of the non contending teams!

Where they headed there anyways? Maybe they had a Minnesota Wild or Ottawa Senator-like run in them....maybe THEY could have found their Dubnyk, or THEIR Hamburglar (maybe something with an Arbys or Wendys theme :)  ).

No matter.

They have been officially pushed through the large intestine of the NHL and have been officially eliminated.

I present to the Carolina Hurricanes, the 5th Dooky Award for the 2014-15 season!

We have anotherrrrrrrr Dooooky to Awaaaarrrrrdddd!!

Yes, the 5th team eliminated from this year's SC playoff contention are non other than the Carolina Hurricanes.

The Canes were clinging for dear life while the Bruins scuttled around trying to maintain their hold on the final playoff spot, but with Ottawa's victory last night, and the Sens subsequent move into the 2nd WC ahead of Boston, that pushed the hapless Carolina Hurricanes right off the precipice into the deep, dark, abyss of the non contending teams!

Where they headed there anyways? Maybe they had a Minnesota Wild or Ottawa Senator-like run in them....maybe THEY could have found their Dubnyk, or THEIR Hamburglar (maybe something with an Arbys or Wendys theme :)  ).

No matter.

They have been officially pushed through the large intestine of the NHL and have been officially eliminated.

I present to the Carolina Hurricanes, the 5th Dooky Award for the 2014-15 season!

Don't forget to add the Flyers now too. :D

Putting some deeper thought into this topic for a moment.....  if every team eventually gets eliminated (except for the Stanley Cup winner), does that make the Cup champion an intestinal polyp or something?  :ph34r:

Don't forget to add the Flyers now too. :D

Putting some deeper thought into this topic for a moment.....  if every team eventually gets eliminated (except for the Stanley Cup winner), does that make the Cup champion an intestinal polyp or something?  :ph34r:

Ahh yes....further runs down the NHL sewage lines....

Well, actually, today, we have a DOUBLE Dooky presentation!

The NJ Devils and Flyers both qualified....NJ qualified outright, while the Flyers, technically, can STILL tie the Bruins in points, however, those pesky ROW's...well, even if Philly wins their remaining games, they would fall short in that tiebreaker, thus their presentation of the 2014-15 Elimination Process Award.

Devils had been in a hole pretty much all year as their star goaltender and yes, would-be Vezina candidate goaltender, Cory Schneider, simply had just about zero sustained help all season.

NJ put on some good games at times during the year, but for the most part, it was mostly a horror show which saw them with far too old an offense mixed with a far too young defense (especially once those relics Bryce Salvador and Marek Zlidlicky were removed), trying to consistently string wins together......and I'd even dare say NJ would have been eliminated SOONER, had it not been for the play of Cory Schneider.

Well, either way, they got to this point.....the point where YOUR New Jersey Devils (ok, ok, not YOURS, but @JagerMeister 's ...hehe), are the recipients of the 6th NHL Dooky Award....congrats guys...try NOT to win it again so soon next year, eh?

On to Philly.

A team that probably was also destined to end up here sooner than later....but these guys, well, they actually played like contenders for stretches during the season.

Despite the lackluster defense, Mason not being able to stay in the lineup for very long, some questionable coaching, and limited contributions from the team's bottom six, the Flyers still were able to keep many fans' hopes that they at least can get into the post season.

Well, even decent seasons from Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek (Mason too...when he was in) weren't going to be enough to get the team into this years playoffs...and thus, they get the 7th Dooky Award for Elimination this season.

Apparently there is now an entire thread for Flyers elimination, so those that want to lament, poke fun of, or just generally watch something grotesque (like a trainwreck...you know, you know its terrible, but just CAN'T look away! :P  ), you can be directed there.

Congrats once again to New Jersey and Philadelphia....two longtime division rivals who NOW share a common thing (no, not recent Championships)....that nice doggie award at the start of this thread! ;)

Oh, and @WordsOfWisdom ....ummm, not going there with the medical references....lol.

Don't want to be sued for preaching medical practices, terminology, or whatever else.

Besides, outside of the odd 'elimination' references, I'd just rather not mix my Learning Channel with my NHL Network.   :cool[1]:

Now.....Presenting......the 8th 2014-15 Dooky Award for Early Elimination....to...

The Columbus Blue Jackets.

Man, this team should NOT be here at this point in time.....especially since they are currently on a 7-game win streak.

But injuries to key personnel up n down the lineup and inconsistencies throughout the season have all conspired to make sure the Jackets didn't even get a sniff of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Better luck next year?

@TropicalFruitGirl26   The Blue Jackets are a team predicated on defense that didn't play respectable defense for most of the year....thus the miss. They have a gritty team an usually get contributions from all 4 lines, but the blueprint for success has always been defense first, and they seem to have lost their way in that respect. I'm not sure what caused the less than stellar year that Bob had, but I suspect it was at least in part, due to the teams lack of defensive acumen.

Going forward, lots of stuff to like, and there should be increased scoring without sacrificing defense. The continued rise to stardom of Johansen, the emergence of Foligno, we saw Wenneberg and Rychel for short spurts and they did not look out of place, and ditto Bjorkstrand and Dano, the latter of which looks like a guaranteed top 6 forward....and that is not even mentioning Sonny Milano....those are 7 kids I mentioned who will be the Jackets over the next 2 seasons....so WHAM, you all of a sudden have a TON of offenisve depth and the great part, they can all skate.

@jammer2

The Jackets set a team record for man games lost to injury this year...I'm sure that played a role in their demise. They've been rolling lately though.

Ahhh, that is the missing link....for some reason, I totally forgot about the long laundry list of injured Jackets this past season. Every single top 6 forwrad went down for at least a few weeks, many of them serious to be sidelined for multiple months in a row.

Archived