Elimination Thread: 2014-15 Season

Ok, well if by 'mediocre' you mean smooth skating, hard hitting, smart on the puck, and never let up on plays, then yea....the Wild are SUPREMELY mediocre :lol:

Blues are having trouble dealing with the Wild's speed, bottom line.

Wild are also not buying into the Blues post whistle garbage.

But what the Wild are doing in regards to speed and skating is nothing new.

I have seen enough teams do that to the Blues ALL FLIPPIN SEASON LONG!

The reason the Blues are a top team is because they DO have skill and speed themselves...and if their opposition doesn't execute properly, St. Louis eats them alive.

But when you get a team like the Wild, or Flames, or Lightning, etc.....who use blazing speed, don't play into the rough n tumble stuff, and execute expertly on both offense and defense, then the talented Blues suddenly look like a bunch of meatheads on the ice trying to keep up.

And with any luck, the 'Mediocre Wild' :ph34r:  will stay the course and make sure St. Louis picks up one of these awesome Dookie awards when Round 1 is all said n done ;)

Noooooo! That'll mess up my whole playoff bracket challenge!  :(

We need a platinum Dookie award for any team that get eliminated in the playoffs. :P

I just find it hard to believe that the Wild (a team that was in the draft lottery not too long ago this season) is up on arguably the best overall team in the NHL this season. But it's still early. I'm confident the Blues can figure it out.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here we are.

The 15th Dookie Award presentation...and the FIRST of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

The Winnipeg Jets.

Nice season, fought hard to get where they got, beat out some real competitors to get there, but ultimately, were simply no match for their 1st round opponents, lacking in an area or three, and thus, with a 4-game bow out, take home the somewhat sparkly Elimination Award.

Perhaps during the off season, the Jets cut up Big Buff into three more manageable sized players that can play a bit smarter than he can?

Perhaps they pick up a better-than-average goalie to spell Pavalec?

Who knows.

Jets are definitely movin on up...but they reside in the toughest division in hockey and will be pushed real hard to make the playoffs once again next year.

Enjoy the Dookie, Winnipeg. :D

Coming out to the theme from Top Gun, the scene in Winnipeg was amazing. Those fans deserve better. I imagine the Ducks players haven't seen a crowd like that in all their years in Anaheim. It pisses me off to see the Jets go out in four straight. :angry:

Taking a page from the NHL and keeping things simple,  I figure that we need to add a diamond dookie to the last team eliminated (the Cup finalist).  :P  ;)

I know! My playoff bracket record is set to improve dramatically!  Yesssssssssssssssss!  :D

Looks like I will have to put those Vancouver and Nashville flavored awards on hold...at least for another game...  ;)

Although, TONIGHT, there could be lemon jack and Canadian cherry flavored ones handed out....

We've got a quartet of Dookies today....

We will start with the Penguins. Recipients of the NHL's 16th Dookie, and 2nd playoff version.

Eliminated in just 5 games by the defending Eastern Conference Champion New York Rangers.

As per @nossagog 's request, we will be making the Pittsburgh Dookie Award a double....here it is sir...

546_rigel2.jpg    546_rigel2.jpg

And also per Mr. Noss's request, these will be sent via mail straight to the office of one Mr. Jim Rutherford so he can see first hand the product of his player assembly.

Congrats to the Penguins and their fans...they COULD have not made the playoffs and picked up these babies sooner, but waited for a grander stage to show how Elimination SHOULD be done.

Good show, gentlemen, good show....

Next up...winners of the 17th Elmination award, are the Nashville Predators.

Billed as "the team to beat" most of the season, the Preds proved they still have much to learn in the ways of winning in the playoffs.

Ironic that this team, receivers of an elimination award showed how well they can eliminate leads in the post season........hmmm....symmetry aside, it is something the team will need to address in the off season.....at least twice in games, they had sizable leads...only to see them up and disappear...and along with that, any hopes of raising Lord Stanley.

No fear, Nashville...in OUR NHL everyone gets something...in your case, a nice bronze doggie.

The 18th Elimination Award goes tooooo.......

Ryan Miller and the Vancouver Canucks.

Apparently, Mr. Miller, the billed "Best Goalie On the Planet" thought adding one of these fine awards to his mantle would surely impress the neighbors.

Well, at least he will have SOMETHING he can use as a projectile should Vancouver riot and he feels he is in danger.....

And finally, the 19th Elimination Award goes to....the St. Louis Blues.

Eater of Worlds, the Big Bad Blues, the team that was supposed to go straight to the Finals.....

Well, they didn't go straight to the Finals, but they certainly went straight to the toilet.

What for the Blues now?

Who knows.....but for the here and now, they can polish these up.

Who needs Golden Brett statues when one of these shows more who the Blues are, eh?

Exactly.

8528667862_b35a372dd4_m.jpg

aaaaand. Empty net MTL. Bye sens :(

Yep....

The 20th award goes to Craig Anderson, the Hamburglar, Mike Hoffman, and the rest of the Ottawa Senators.

The announcer said "What a ride the Sens provided for their fans"....yes indeed, they did.

Too bad the ride ended up in the bad part of town......

Empty netter aside, they lost by slimmest margin possible.

Nevertheless, the Sens have doggie hardware they can display...while they contemplate how they can be players ALL season next year.

Good run, Ottawa, but now, take your Dookie and go home and rest.

;)

Yep....

The 20th award goes to Craig Anderson, the Hamburglar, Mike Hoffman, and the rest of the Ottawa Senators.

The announcer said "What a ride the Sens provided for their fans"....yes indeed, they did.

Too bad the ride ended up in the bad part of town......

Empty netter aside, they lost by slimmest margin possible.

Nevertheless, the Sens have doggie hardware they can display...while they contemplate how they can be players ALL season next year.

Good run, Ottawa, but now, take your Dookie and go home and rest.

;)

Shame because the refs ruined this game with that disgraceful no goal. The ref blew the whistle thinking Price had the puck when he had already coughed it up to the sens player.

Shame because the refs ruined this game with that disgraceful no goal. The ref blew the whistle thinking Price had the puck when he had already coughed it up to the sens player.

I didn't get to watch the entire game, but I understand not only that, but a goal by the Habs that shouldn't have been allowed due to Gallagher getting it with a high stick.

And finally, the 19th Elimination Award goes to....the St. Louis Blues.

Eater of Worlds, the Big Bad Blues, the team that was supposed to go straight to the Finals.....

Well, they didn't go straight to the Finals, but they certainly went straight to the toilet.

What for the Blues now?

Who knows.....but for the here and now, they can polish these up.

Un-f'n-believable! My Stanley Cup pick is gone in the first round. :angry:  Goodbye NHL bracket challenge.

The Blues managed to flush another incredible season down the toilet. Wonderful choke job. Even though the Wild won, they're not the better team. Reality will sink in with round two.

I didn't get to watch the entire game, but I understand not only that, but a goal by the Habs that shouldn't have been allowed due to Gallagher getting it with a high stick.

actually, that goal was amazing lol. I thought it was a high stick too at first. Replay made me second guess it

21st Dookie goes to the NY Islanders.

Tough, tough match up for them against the Caps....they did hold their own, but in the end, just could not keep Washington at bay.

Some minor tweaks in the off season though, and I see no reason why New York can't be a playoff contender once again next year.

It was touch n go since Game 5 when the Wings took the series lead, as it could easily have been the Lightning being mentioned at this point in time....but the recipient of the 22nd Elimination Award (and final one of the Quarter Finals) are the Detroit Red Wings.

Not so sure how good this Dookie will look sitting alongside the various Stanley Cups Detroit has on their mantle, but it is there nonetheless.

I suppose GM Ken Holland can always have it vulcanized and used as a hood ornament on his luxury sedan........ :P

30 had become 16....16 now has become 8....oh, hey, we now look forward to 4 more Dookies being awarded in the various Semi Final series.

Who will be the first in the Semis and #23 overall?

Stay tuned....

It was touch n go since Game 5 when the Wings took the series lead, as it could easily have been the Lightning being mentioned at this point in time....but the recipient of the 22nd Elimination Award (and final one of the Quarter Finals) are the Detroit Red Wings.

Not so sure how good this Dookie will look sitting alongside the various Stanley Cups Detroit has on their mantle, but it is there nonetheless.

I suppose GM Ken Holland can always have it vulcanized and used as a hood ornament on his luxury sedan........ :P

30 had become 16....16 now has become 8....oh, hey, we now look forward to 4 more Dookies being awarded in the various Semi Final series.

Who will be the first in the Semis and #23 overall?

Stay tuned....

The Tampa Bay Leafs have moved on to face Montreal -- the only series I got right in my NHL bracket challenge.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

A bit behind on my Dookie presentations....but there are two more to hand out.

**Sigh**

Unfortunately, the 24th recipient of the Award for Process of Elimination arrrrreeeeee.....hold the drum roll please....the Minnesota Wild.

Three times met the Blackhawks in the post season, three times removed from contention.

Was listening to a press conference between the Minnesota GM, head coach Mike Yeo and the media...and while they obviously were NOT ok with losing yet again to Chicago, they seemed to think that it is only a matter of time before the Wild's younger players mature into grade A playoff performers and that the veteran group may only need some 'tweaking' (whatever the hell THAT means) in order to finally move forward.

Talk of keeping Devan Dubnyk was brought up, but only in the sense that they still need to sit down with the goalie and see where the team is at and where they want to go and whether he fits in or not.

At any rate, the Wild will not be winning a Cup this year, but they do have this nice doggie award to put into their hardware collection...which, admittedly, is still rather bare. ;)

Congrats, Wild....errr, sort of.

The 25th recipient of the Dookie Award goes to......the young Calgary Flames.

They couldn't get by the powerhouse Anaheim Ducks in the 2nd round, but man, did they put on a good show.

Never mind the series ended in 5, I believe the Flames played better and showed much more heart than a 4-1 series loss suggests.

Some seasoning and a legit number one goaltender to go along with the very promising young crop of players, and I see this team competing for the playoffs regularly (maybe even a Cup) before too long.

Unless, that is, if they continually run into the suddenly competitive Edmonton Oilers!  ;)

Yep, I think the Oil may finally let burst through their pent up talent that has been bottled up by inept management pretty soon.

And with the Flames proving they are on their way up, the Battle of Alberta may finally be back on once again!

Here ya go, Flames...the Dookie.

Johnny Hockey may not approve, but unfortunately, its the only hardware Calgary will be garnering this season.

Archived