Your all-time all-NHL team.

ScottM

It's hard for me to name some of the Old Timers to this team other than the obvious record holders, so I'm sticking with players that I have seen play for the most part, and have a better feel for their style.

First line          Bobby Hull- Wayne Gretzky- Teemu Salanne

Second line     A. Ovechkin- Mario Lemieux- Brett Hull

Third line        Mark Messier- Pavel Datsyuk- Pavel Bure

Fourth line      John Leclair-  Peter Forsberg- Jaromir Jagr

First D                      Bobby Orr- Ray Bourque

Second D                 Paul Coffey- Al MacInnes

Third D                  Scott Stevens- Larry Robinson

Goal              Dominik Hasek- Terry Sawchuck- Tretiak (hm)

It's hard for me to name some of the Old Timers to this team other than the obvious record holders, so I'm sticking with players that I have seen play for the most part, and have a better feel for their style.

First line          Bobby Hull- Wayne Gretzky- Teemu Salanne

Second line     A. Ovechkin- Mario Lemieux- Brett Hull

Third line        Mark Messier- Pavel Datsyuk- Pavel Bure

Fourth line      John Leclair-  Peter Forsberg- Jaromir Jagr

First D                      Bobby Orr- Ray Bourque

Second D                 Paul Coffey- Al MacInnes

Third D                  Scott Stevens- Larry Robinson

Goal              Dominik Hasek- Terry Sawchuck- Tretiak (hm)

First of all Welcome to HF.net (short for Hockeyforums.net)!  We have alot great members who have vast amount of hockey knowledge.

I agree, it too is hard for me to name the great hockey players prior to the late 70's. (thats when I started watching hockey).  I agree with pretty much everybody on your list.  Though I think, IMO, I would have left Leclair off the list.  Great player for the Flyers, but I would not inlcude him as one of the all time greats.  It is curious you have Tretiak listed in goal, though he never played a minute in the NHL.  He certainly was a dominant player during his time.

True story about Tretiak.  I got to meet him several years while I lived in Va Bch at the time.  I had season tickets to the Norfolk Admirals (at the time AHL club to the Blackhawks).  He was very pleasant to talk too.  Too this day, he still has no idea why he was pulled from the Olympic game vs. Team USA..  Here is a great article published last year reagarding Tretiak and the that loss back in 1980.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/02/12/vladislav-tretiak-reflects-stunning-loss/34GIRTjs7RlFTriAv7VeLO/story.html

Anyway hard to hard with anyone else on your list except maybe Ovechkin.  Though a really good player, I've yet to see him redifine hockey.  That is what I think when I read a list such as this.  A player that made such an impact to the NHL and the way it is played.  Ovie in my mind, though a very good player, has not redifined the NHL.  I'm just splitting hairs here.

Again welcome to HF.net!!!  Always nice to have a Ducks fan on here!

Best,

Pilldoc

First of all Welcome to HF.net (short for Hockeyforums.net)!  We have alot great members who have vast amount of hockey knowledge.

I agree, it too is hard for me to name the great hockey players prior to the late 70's. (thats when I started watching hockey).  I agree with pretty much everybody on your list.  Though I think, IMO, I would have left Leclair off the list.  Great player for the Flyers, but I would not inlcude him as one of the all time greats.  It is curious you have Tretiak listed in goal, though he never played a minute in the NHL.  He certainly was a dominant player during his time.

True story about Tretiak.  I got to meet him several years while I lived in Va Bch at the time.  I had season tickets to the Norfolk Admirals (at the time AHL club to the Blackhawks).  He was very pleasant to talk too.  Too this day, he still has no idea why he was pulled from the Olympic game vs. Team USA..  Here is a great article published last year reagarding Tretiak and the that loss back in 1980.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/02/12/vladislav-tretiak-reflects-stunning-loss/34GIRTjs7RlFTriAv7VeLO/story.html

Anyway hard to hard with anyone else on your list except maybe Ovechkin.  Though a really good player, I've yet to see him redifine hockey.  That is what I think when I read a list such as this.  A player that made such an impact to the NHL and the way it is played.  Ovie in my mind, though a very good player, has not redifined the NHL.  I'm just splitting hairs here.

Again welcome to HF.net!!!  Always nice to have a Ducks fan on here!

Best,

Pilldoc

Thank you Pilldoc. My first live game was at the old Olympia in Detroit when I was a kid, been hooked ever since. 

I have to admit that picking Leclair was quite a stretch for even me, but he stuck out in my mind as such a pain to play against and a player that kept finding the back of the net, but I suppose many players could fit that mold. As for Ovechkin, that's a different story. This is where I wish we were also picking a coaching staff to go along with this dream team (Scotty Bowman, Mike Keenan). I believe that Ovechkin has not  found his true greatness in the NHL due to great mismanagement. I am also biased by being at the Coyotes game, with perfect seats, to witness "The Goal"... after that, the highlight reels began to fill. I can only imagine what he would have done if he were in a different environment.

Anyways, this already looks like a great site and as always, I can't wait for the puck to drop.

Scott

@Scotta99fan

Welcome Scott to HockeyForums, we have some witty and knowledgeable members here thus it's a fairly fun place to discuss hockey.

Wow, LeClair over Crosby, no Lidstom, and no Brodeur and no one is putting Toews on their lists.   :(

@hf101

OK I'll concede that LeClair was not the best choice, but it's thin pick'ins at Left wing, and I couldn't see myself picking Robitaille, despite his numbers. As for Lidstrom, there is no denying his credentials, but I paired guys that had speed to jump up in the play with solid stay-at-home guys. I wanted each D-man to bring there own unique style. Bobby Orr with his all around greatness and his ability to think outside of the box. Paul Coffey, his end-to-end rush, and ability to get back. McInnis for are scary hard shot, and Bourque and Robinson for being so damned reliable and responsible in the own end. Scott Stevens... well, because there was room on the bench.. lol JK

I went with raw athleticism and reliability in goal. Brodeur's game in my opinion, benefited greatly from the trap defense that the Devils played brilliantly into it's extinction. Tretiak would be on my wish list.

As for Ovechkin, that's a different story. This is where I wish we were also picking a coaching staff to go along with this dream team (Scotty Bowman, Mike Keenan). I believe that Ovechkin has not found his true greatness in the NHL due to great mismanagement.

That is a very fair statement.  I don't think Ovie has been well coached, but I think this year he turned the corner.  Through the first part of his career, I would put Ovie in as a very selfish player.  That changed this year.  I still go back to Milbury's epic rant about Ovie 2 years ago.

Archived