Joe Thornton On GM: "Doug Needs To Shut His Mouth"

JagerMeister

3056958.jpg?size=640x420

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/joe-thornton-doug-wilson-shut-mouth-captaincy-san-jose-sharks-season-ticket-holders/

Doug Wilson "He cares about the game so much. The reason we took the 'C' off him... Joe carries the weight of the team on his shoulders, and he's got such a big heart that when stress comes on him, he lashes out at people," Wilson said, via Pollak, "and it kind of impacts them.

"The pressure and stress, I felt, was getting to Joe," Wilson continued. "And I sat him down and said we need other players to step up and share this. He got it. He didn't like it, but he got it and he understood it."

Thornton is just proving DW's point. lol.

This is just me thinking out loud, but while I know he's under contract until 2017, but I wonder if he'd try to get himself traded. It seems that there's a lot of tension building up there.

@ScottM  Joe needs a fresh start.....period. I'd love to see him go to a contending team and get a Cup....he has worked so hard through his long career, he deserves to win it once.

I agree. And at the risk of sounding like a Sharks hater (which I'm not), the Sharks are on their way down the drain, imho. I think last season is probably going to prove to be their last real shot with the current makeup of the team.

3056958.jpg?size=640x420

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/joe-thornton-doug-wilson-shut-mouth-captaincy-san-jose-sharks-season-ticket-holders/

Doug Wilson "He cares about the game so much. The reason we took the 'C' off him... Joe carries the weight of the team on his shoulders, and he's got such a big heart that when stress comes on him, he lashes out at people," Wilson said, via Pollak, "and it kind of impacts them.

"The pressure and stress, I felt, was getting to Joe," Wilson continued. "And I sat him down and said we need other players to step up and share this. He got it. He didn't like it, but he got it and he understood it."

Thornton is just proving DW's point. lol.

I don't think so. Pretty much everyone agreed Wilson was trying to throw a veiled insult Joe's way and Joe is being refreshingly honest.

Wilson even threw out that he was surprised they were fighting for a playoff spot when he expected them to miss completely.

Either way, this does not bode well for one of them.

You should watch OSW Review episodes. They review classic wrestling shows and comment on them. It's hilarious. (You'd have to be a wrestling fan though.)  :D

haha...nah, not much of a real wrestling fan.

I only know a bit about it because my husband and his family are big wrestling fans so I get exposure to it at home or in relative's houses sometimes.

Gotta admit though, that big, burly man soap opera stuff can be pretty funny at times....and DEFINITELY over the top.

The Rock was the first thing I thought of when I heard Joe Thornton said his GM needed to 'shut his mouth'.  ;)

haha...nah, not much of a real wrestling fan.

I only know a bit about it because my husband and his family are big wrestling fans so I get exposure to it at home or in relative's houses sometimes.

Gotta admit though, that big, burly man soap opera stuff can be pretty funny at times....and DEFINITELY over the top.

The Rock was the first thing I thought of when I heard Joe Thornton said his GM needed to 'shut his mouth'.  ;)

For sure!  :)

I can't think of another NHL player that gets less respect than Joe Thornton.

Thornton has that damn no trade contract.

Will he waive it? Marleau has slipped to the point where even if he agreed to a deal it is doubtful he could be dealt. So will Joe help the team and agree to a deal? And if so, who could take on his contract and give something for him?

Wilson was right, this should have been done LAST year but Maleau and Joe didn't want to go. Cant blame them anyone who has been to San Jose knows how beautiful it is. And talk about a low pressure place to play! If he were to agree to a trade to a market like Toronto or New York he would live in a fishbowl where every single thing he says and does is dissected every way from Sunday.

I think he will agree to a trade, i doubt the Sharks get fair market value, nothing like they would have gotten this last offseason.

Will he waive it? Marleau has slipped to the point where even if he agreed to a deal it is doubtful he could be dealt. So will Joe help the team and agree to a deal? And if so, who could take on his contract and give something for him?

Wilson was right, this should have been done LAST year but Maleau and Joe didn't want to go. Cant blame them anyone who has been to San Jose knows how beautiful it is. And talk about a low pressure place to play! If he were to agree to a trade to a market like Toronto or New York he would live in a fishbowl where every single thing he says and does is dissected every way from Sunday.

I think he will agree to a trade, i doubt the Sharks get fair market value, nothing like they would have gotten this last offseason.

Thornton has said that despite the drama, he still wants to retire a Shark

Much respect for Thornton, and reading into more of the drama, i can confidently say that Doug Wilson can go suck a left herpes infected nut.

Eff that yave. Even Shark fans who want to deal everyone in a full rebuild agree he is one of the only productive consistent members of the squad.

Wilson is a moron. The team had just won 4 out of 5 games and were looking like they might fight for making the playoffs and Wilson goes and passive aggressively demeans Thornton causing all this drama.

Wilson is the one who needs to go. Thornton wants to go as a Sakic/Yzerman type who stays with the team he loves. He took discounts left right and center for years, making Gomez/Drury money when he could have been making much more.

Meanwhile, Wilson used the cap space to sign guys like Huskins, Wallin, White, Vandermeer instead of actual fixes to the defense and refused to admit he was wrong to get Niemi and fix the goalie issue.

Everyone harps on how the Sharks should have won a cup with a stacked team. The first year Thornton was there, defense included top pairing of Hanna and Preissing. A straight out of College Carle, Rookie Gorges, and AHL caliber Davison and Murray.

It continued like that for years. The Sharks have been a very average team. Barely playoff team even, except for the presence of Joe Thornton, who made them look like contenders. Thornton still fat out believes in the talent in that room and is teammates and is convinced he can compete in San Jose. Unless Wilson goes full fire sale with others who don;t have the clauses, Thornton is going to continue to believe in himself and his teammates ad not waive.

Thornton stays a Shark. Wilson's days are numbered.

Archived