• Patrick Roy
    • Ken Dryden
    • Jacques Plante
    • Glenn Hall
    • Terry Sawchuk
    • Bill Durnan
    • Bernie Parent
    • other

Seems like most people here think its Martin Brodeur.

He was a great goalie no doubt, but he definitely benefited from the trap system and having two HHOF defenseman with him for quite a while.

People want to say he has the most wins? i say he has the most losses, and has the most games played for goalies.

IMO, I would have to go for either Hasek or Roy

Roy was arguably the greatest playoff performer of all time, if there was one player i got to choose to lead my team to the stanley cup, it would most certainly be him. He does have the most Conn Smythe trophies of any player in the history of the game. 

And Hasek dominated as a goalie for nearly a decade, He won 6 Vezina trophies, 2 harts(which is the hardest thing to do for a goalie, i can count how many goalies have won harts on my fingers) He is the only goalie to win it twice, and the only goalie to win a Lester b Pearson TWICE. While still being a great goalie going into his 40s.

He carried his teams to the playoffs with barely any help at all, he was a one man team on those Buffalo Sabres. And carried one of the worst teams ever to the playoffs year after year.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brodeur.

Most wins (by a ton)

Youngest goalie to 300 wins

Youngest goalie to 400 wins

Youngest goalie to 500 wins

Only goalie to 600 wins

Most wins in a season

Most consecutive 30 win seasons

Most 40 win seasons; also most consecutive

Best post season lifetime GAA

Most regular season AND post season shut outs.

Most game winning goals SCORED, goalie. Scored goals in regular and post season.

3 rings.

Trap and other excuses, you still have to stay healthy, and you still have to get it done.

If any goalie could do it with that team, in 21 years Lou would have gotten someone cheaper.

Brodeur

Roy

Sawchuck

Plante

Hasek

I am troubled by the omission of not only the greatest goalie of all time but the greatest human to ever grace planet earth, Ryan Miller from this list. I fully expect we will all be hearing from a certain someone on this travesty! ;) <NINJA >

Brodeur.

Most wins (by a ton)

Youngest goalie to 300 wins

Youngest goalie to 400 wins

Youngest goalie to 500 wins

Only goalie to 600 wins

Most wins in a season

Most consecutive 30 win seasons

Most 40 win seasons; also most consecutive

Best post season lifetime GAA

Most regular season AND post season shut outs.

Most game winning goals SCORED, goalie. Scored goals in regular and post season.

3 rings.

Trap and other excuses, you still have to stay healthy, and you still have to get it done.

If any goalie could do it with that team, in 21 years Lou would have gotten someone cheaper.

Brodeur

Roy

Sawchuck

Plante

Hasek

He played over 1200 games and has 237 more games then the next goalie, Hasek could have done it if he was on those New jersey teams. All you have to do is look at the accolades of Hasek, and see who he was up against. He won mvp's and lester b pearsons against a prime Jagr. Martin brodeur could not do that playing on a far greater team. He also won his vezina trophies when both Brodeur and Roy were in their primes. 

I dont know about you, but it seems pretty obvious to me Hasek was better than Brodeur in both peak and prime. The only thing Brodeur has over both roy and hasek is longevity. 

I'm giving you what was actual and you're giving me could haves and would haves.

Again, though, 21 years with very little injury time. I would argue the Devils trophy case is empty without Brodeur. The Sabres' trophy case is empty with Hasek.

If Brodeur was all about the Devils system, you'd think they'd have gone with a cheaper goalie at some point in two decades.

Ask me about a cup winning goalie who got a ring because of the team he played behind, I'll give you the Wings and Hasek (they did it with two other mediocre goalies).

Prime vs prime, if I want a Cup I go with Brodeur. If I want meaningless individual trophies, I'd go with Hasek.

I would argue the Devils trophy case is empty without Brodeur. The Sabres' trophy case is empty with Hasek

That's a great point. Others had brilliant periods, but Brodeur did what you need a goalie to do for pretty much every night all his career.   

I'm giving you what was actual and you're giving me could haves and would haves.

Again, though, 21 years with very little injury time. I would argue the Devils trophy case is empty without Brodeur. The Sabres' trophy case is empty with Hasek.

If Brodeur was all about the Devils system, you'd think they'd have gone with a cheaper goalie at some point in two decades.

Ask me about a cup winning goalie who got a ring because of the team he played behind, I'll give you the Wings and Hasek (they did it with two other mediocre goalies).

Prime vs prime, if I want a Cup I go with Brodeur. If I want meaningless individual trophies, I'd go with Hasek. 

The sabres trophy case is empty with Hasek, because those teams were never ment to be a playoff team in the first place, and without Hasek, those teams would have never gone anywhere at all. 

And yes, great teams win stanley cups yet Hasek everytime, singlehandedly brought his teams to the playoffs.

Without Brodeur they might have not won any stanley cups at all, great point, never thought of it that way . But without Hasek, Sabres are not even a playoff team, they would be one of the worst teams in the league.

Btw, i never said that the trap system made an average goalie look like a good one. He is still a great goalie that with all his records and career accomplishments, has a legitimate case for number 1. But if im to take a goalie in the playoffs, i take prime Roy and Hasek over Brodeur. Patrick Roy's 3 conn smythes prove that he is one of the greatest playoff performers of all time. And Haseks 9.39 save percentage in his prime is nothing to scoff at either

And btw... "meaningless trophies"?  :rolleyes:

And neither is Marty's playoff career playoff GAA which is better than both.

Individual accolades in a team sport are meaningless when you look at the whole picture not the frame. Throw either of their rings on the ground and Marty's will cover them right up. Not only can Marty not hear Roenick but he can only see him with one eye. When your so good at what you do the league makes a rule to stop you from being that good that's says a lot.

Seems like most people here think its Martin Brodeur.

He was a great goalie no doubt, but he definitely benefited from the trap system and having two HHOF defenseman with him for quite a while.

People want to say he has the most wins? i say he has the most losses, and has the most games played for goalies.

IMO, I would have to go for either Hasek or Roy

Roy was arguably the greatest playoff performer of all time, if there was one player i got to choose to lead my team to the stanley cup, it would most certainly be him. He does have the most Conn Smythe trophies of any player in the history of the game. 

And Hasek dominated as a goalie for nearly a decade, He won 6 Vezina trophies, 2 harts(which is the hardest thing to do for a goalie, i can count how many goalies have won harts on my fingers) He is the only goalie to win it twice, and the only goalie to win a Lester b Pearson TWICE. While still being a great goalie going into his 40s.

He carried his teams to the playoffs with barely any help at all, he was a one man team on those Buffalo Sabres. And carried one of the worst teams ever to the playoffs year after year.

I had a "top 5 goalies" of all time thread awhile back for my opinion on the matter lol.

To me, Ken Dryden was the best money goalie of all time. You can count on one half hand elimination games that he lost. Sure, he had the Big 3 in front of him...and Langway, Engblom....and many other fine defenders...but he was so talented, he could really move that huge frame around. The Habs of the 70's had so many great players, it was hard to pick him all the time for the Conn Smythe...he only won it once...but probably deserved it at least 3 times. He exuded this calmness that always caught on with this teammates...they just knew they were going to win. To bad he quit early, he could have compiled some wicked stats had he stuck around. 

I put Bernie Parent neck and neck with Ken...the only knock of course, was longevity...but those years that Bernie won it all...he was flat out scary amazing....unbeatable when he was on...which was often in the mid 70's. Bernie easily had the best back to back years of any goalie...ever.

Jager,

Meaningless only in the context of comparing it to Cups (since that's *supposed to be* the reason they're playing).

we can use cups to compare players careers but not their individual talent. The individual awards Hasek won show his dominance. It was pretty clear he was the best goalie throughout the 90s.

And neither is Marty's playoff career playoff GAA which is better than both.

Individual accolades in a team sport are meaningless when you look at the whole picture not the frame. Throw either of their rings on the ground and Marty's will cover them right up. Not only can Marty not hear Roenick but he can only see him with one eye. When your so good at what you do the league makes a rule to stop you from being that good that's says a lot.

Oh yeah. GAA. Playing on a trap system defensive oriented team with two HHOF defenseman will certainly help you with that. Hasek had nothing until his later years when he was actually on a great team. Great teams won cups not individual players, yet somehow Hasek was able single handedly carry his team to the playoffs multiple times. I dont know how people dont see this.

You are right about the individual awards, but they certainly do show Hasek's dominance over his peers, which was a prime patrick roy and martin brodeur

Look, im usually open to opinions but when it comes to debating Brodeur over Hasek, i simply cant wrap my mind around it. He certainly had more help than Hasek ever had yet somehow Hasek trumps him in trophies( yes stanley cup is the most important thing but when you win trophies that have you as the best player in the world, it certainly does mean something) And Hasek almost has an identical GAA to Brodeur despite playing on far worse teams and also has a better save percentage.

For further proof, Hasek faced far more shots than Brodeur ever did. 

For me, the ultimate test of a goalie is reliability.  We've all seen goaltenders make great save after great save, but let in a floater when it really hurt.    The great goalie makes the expected saves, night after night.  That's Brodeur.  His ability allowed his teammates and their coach to play whatever style of game they chose, with confidence that he wouldn't let them down.  Flyer fans, probably more than anybody, have seen the effect that distrust of goaltending wreaks upon play.

I don't like to compare players from one era to another.   Different game.   The hockey of today is played at a much faster pace.  Puck moves at lightning speed shot by guys who outweigh yesterday's stars by 100 pounds.  So, the Glenn Halls, Johnny Bowers,  and Terry Sawchucks can't be compared with modern players.  

So, it's a choice among the best of the last few years.  Game in and game out, that's Brodeur.

For me, the ultimate test of a goalie is reliability.  We've all seen goaltenders make great save after great save, but let in a floater when it really hurt.    The great goalie makes the expected saves, night after night.  That's Brodeur.  His ability allowed his teammates and their coach to play whatever style of game they chose, with confidence that he wouldn't let them down.  Flyer fans, probably more than anybody, have seen the effect that distrust of goaltending wreaks upon play.

I don't like to compare players from one era to another.   Different game.   The hockey of today is played at a much faster pace.  Puck moves at lightning speed shot by guys who outweigh yesterday's stars by 100 pounds.  So, the Glenn Halls, Johnny Bowers,  and Terry Sawchucks can't be compared with modern players.  

So, it's a choice among the best of the last few years.  Game in and game out, that's Brodeur.

Hasek wasn't reliable? lol. Reliable enough to keep the buffalo sabres (far worse team than njd) in the playofs. im pretty sure Hasek made the great saves and expected saves lol.

Anyways, no one has really answered the question, if Brodeur was the better goalie than Hasek. Why does Hasek have far more individual trophies that show his domination in his position playing against a prime Roy and Brodeur.

Yes, you can stick to your stanley cups all you want. But lets not use that to compare INDIVIDUAL talents please, only great teams can win stanley cups(proven when Hasek was only able to win one in Detroit) but Hasek carried his bottom 3 team to the playoffs almost every time.

All the while, he is the only goalie to win the pearson trophy as well as only goalie to win the Hart twice,  while winning 6 vezinas. Ignore the trophies all you want but that again, shows how much he dominated his position.

While playing on far worse teams might i add.

Seriously, Broduer might have had the longevity with a great team that used the trap system, which enabled him to get all those goalie records, along with his talent ofc. But Peak and prime, Hasek wins that hands down, dominated for almost a decade.

btw, im surprised no one has made an argument for Patrick Roy, does no one like him on this thread...

Hasek wasn't reliable? lol. Reliable enough to keep the buffalo sabres (far worse team than njd) in the playofs. im pretty sure Hasek made the great saves and expected saves lol.

Anyways, no one has really answered the question, if Brodeur was the better goalie than Hasek. Why does Hasek have far more individual trophies that show his domination in his position playing against a prime Roy and Brodeur.

Yes, you can stick to your stanley cups all you want. But lets not use that to compare INDIVIDUAL talents please, only great teams can win stanley cups(proven when Hasek was only able to win one in Detroit) but Hasek carried his bottom 3 team to the playoffs almost every time.

All the while, he is the only goalie to win the pearson trophy as well as only goalie to win the Hart twice,  while winning 6 vezinas. Ignore the trophies all you want but that again, shows how much he dominated his position.

While playing on far worse teams might i add.

Seriously, Broduer might have had the longevity with a great team that used the trap system, which enabled him to get all those goalie records, along with his talent ofc. But Peak and prime, Hasek wins that hands down, dominated for almost a decade.

btw, im surprised no one has made an argument for Patrick Roy, does no one like him on this thread...

I've listed individual stats.  And I still give him Peak and prime vs. Peak and prime.

And seriously, while both were playing Hasek was picking out a tux for his award acceptance while Brodeur was still playing for a Cup.   I know you don't want to hear about Cups, but that's what the game is played for.   Trap or not, the Devils don't have a Cup without him.

I've listed individual stats.  And I still give him Peak and prime vs. Peak and prime.

And seriously, while both were playing Hasek was picking out a tux for his award acceptance while Brodeur was still playing for a Cup.   I know you don't want to hear about Cups, but that's what the game is played for.   Trap or not, the Devils don't have a Cup without him.

Yet those NJD teams would still be playoff teams, how about Hasek without Buffalo...not so much. Im aware of the stats you showed me, however the wins stat is more team oriented as is GAA, he definitely benefited greatly from playing on a trap system oriented team with 2 HHOF defenseman. And even then, Hasek was able to win more individual awards on a far worse team. Career vs Career for me is arguable since Brodeur has all the records. Peak and prime however, i give the nod to Hasek fairly easily. Btw from ages 29-34, Hasek faced 1000 approx more shots than Brodeur, yet gave up 41 fewer goals.

Modern era:

1 Hasek

2 Roy

3 Brodeur

Classic era:

1. Parent

2. Dryden

3. Esposito

(non-Flyers fans can swap Dryden and Parent if they really want to)

Vintage era:

1. Sawchuck

2. Plante

3. Glen Hall?

Antiquities era:

1. Vezina

2, 3. Don't know anyone else

Classic era:

1. Parent

2. Dryden

3. Esposito

(non-Flyers fans can swap Dryden and Parent if they really want to)

I honestly don't think Dryden was that good. Aziz (where is he?!) could have played goal in front of that Defence and won a Cup. Plus, Dryden wrote that smarmy, trite, self-congratulatory book of his, which isn't even that good, and then became a lawyer and a politician. I hate that guy.

I honestly don't think Dryden was that good. Aziz (where is he?!) could have played goal in front of that Defence and won a Cup. Plus, Dryden wrote that smarmy, trite, self-congratulatory book of his, which isn't even that good, and then became a lawyer and a politician. I hate that guy.

I haven't read the book and I'm not Canadian so those things don't bother me. I agree that he is pretty smarmy though... 

He pretty much won that first Cup on his own, Boston threw everything but the kitchen sink at him (in fact I think I did see a kitchen sink fly by there somewhere). And then in the finals Chicago was definitely a better team than Montreal that year but Dryden did outplay Esposito. Not by much but enough. I understand not liking his personality but I think he was pretty damn good.

Archived