Top Ten Russian Hockey Players In NHL History.

JagerMeister

My list for NHL players only

1. Alexander Ovechkin

Has the potential to become the greatest left winger of all time. Has lead the league in scoring 4(soon to be 5) times and has five(soon to be six) 50 goal seasons in an era where goalies are at their finest(equipment wise) , was arguably the greatest player from 2005-2009 and is the greatest goal scorer of his generation of players.

Awards

1 calder

4 Rocket Richard

3 MVP

3 Pearson

1 Art Ross

2. Evgeni Malkin

had the best playoff run (2008) of any player of his generation, arguably the last 20 years...

Still a great playoff performer, and the best Russian point producer of all time(best PPG of any Russian player in NHL history). And on a purely offensive standpoint, he is only second to Crosby from players of his generation.

But the reason he is not number one on my list is due to the fact that he has been fairly inconsistent and has always struggled with injuries.

Awards

1 Conn smythe

1 Calder

2 Art ross

1 Hart

1 Pearson

3. Pavel Datsyuk (ik some are gonna question how high he is on my list but let me explain first...)

The best two way NHL Russian player (excluding Fedorov) Datsyuk may not have been as great offensively as Ovechkin or Malkin, But Pavel Datsyuk came pretty close to their offensive production, while being 10 times better defensively, he had two 97 point seasons while being one of the best two way players in the entire game( and they say Toews is a great two way player..) Ever since 2002, he has never been on pace for less than 60 points while maintaining his two way play.

His only downside is that his playoff career has not been among the best of them.

Awards

4 lady byngs

3 selke 

4. Sergei Fedorov

This guy was everything you wanted in a player, and was arguably one of the most complete players ever. Hell, Bowman would put him on defense sometimes, thats how complete of a player he was.

He had one of the best seasons by any player ever, in 1993, he won the MVP, Pearson and the selke... and was probably the closest player to win all 5 trophies that were based on playing ability that any forward could win ( 10 points shy from the art ross and 4 goals less than the leading goal scorer..) . not to mention, he was a great playoff performer. 4 straight times in a row, he had 20 points in the playoffs ( i believe was one of only 4 players to accomplish this if memory serves me correctly, not even a feat Gretzky accomplished...) So why is he this low you may ask, well...besides two great seasons, he never accomplished much after that in the regular season. Had a great but very short peak and definitely underperformed during the most of his regular seasons

Awards

2 selke

1 pearson

1 hart

5. Pavel Bure

The most electrifying player of all time, He had back to back 60 goal seasons playing with mediocre linemates, in fact, his entire career he had mediocre linemates yet still managed to hit surpass the 50 goal mark five times, not to mention he came so close getting another back to back 60 goal seasons (58 and 59). No doubt in my mind, the greatest Russian goal scorer of all time..for now. really unfortunate injuries messed him up, because before his injuries, he was not a liability defensively...

Awards

3 richards

6. Alexander Mogilny

peaked with 76 goals in 77 games with 127 points, most goals and points of a russian player in a single season, unfortunately just like Fedorov, he only had two amazing years and never came close to that kind of production again. But unlike Fedorov, he was not as good a playoff performer and was not as good defensively ( still decent though)

Awards

Lady Byng

7. Sergei Zubov

Greatest Russian offensive defenseman

8. Ilya Kovalchuk

Great combination of playmaking ability, goal scoring,= and physicality, was the best russian player until Ovechkin and Malkin came along, Left for the KHL during his prime, which certainly does not help him in this case

9. Sergei Gonchar

Dead mans Zubov, probably the second greatest offensive defenseman, but was not as good offensively or defensively( ok, this is arguable) as Zubov

10. Alexei Kovalev

Probably the best stickhandler of all time, His talent is what gets him on this list, while stepping his game up during the playoffs.

So what would your list look like and what would you change on my list.

HM: Evgeni Nabokov, Alexei Yashin, Igor Larionov, 

I'd put Igor Larionov on there. Maybe Bure.

Re Ovie. I heard an interesting stat the other day: after scoring 2 the other night he now has 13 multiple-goal games (MGGs) this season. The 4th time he has 13 or more MGGs in a season. No other player in the modern era has more than one!

I'd put Igor Larionov on there. Maybe Bure.

Re Ovie. I heard an interesting stat the other day: after scoring 2 the other night he now has 13 multiple-goal games (MGGs) this season. The 4th time he has 13 or more MGGs in a season. No other player in the modern era has more than one!

well I did put Bure, and igor larionov was quite old when he came to the league, he was definitely past his prime. Alex ovechkin is that good of a goalscorer!!!

well I did put Bure, and igor larionov was quite old when he came to the league, he was definitely past his prime. Alex ovechkin is that good of a goalscorer!!!

Sorry, I somehow missed the Bure. Fair point about Larionov. He was the smartest Russian to ever play the game IMHO

Sorry, I somehow missed the Bure. Fair point about Larionov. He was the smartest Russian to ever play the game IMHO

I mean, if this was not only NHL, he would definitely be on the list, but if i were to put him on this list, i might as well add in Makarov and Kozlov.

He actually won an award in Toronto out of all places  :lol:

He and Doug Gilmour are the only two Leafs in my lifetime to win an individual award. (Gilmour won the Selke trophy I believe.)

So yeah, that sort of stuff gets you remembered in Toronto.  :)

Although players never like to win the Lady Byng.

Archived