Which Sutter brother has had the best career?

ScottM

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the top Sutter?

• Brent
    • Brian
    • Darryl
    • Duane
    • Rich
    • Ron

sutters.jpg

Which one of the Sutter brothers has had the best career? In asking the question, I'm thinking about their entire hockey careers, not just their playing careers, so consider coaching success as well.

Career stats:

Brent: 1,111 games, 363 goals, 466 assists, 829 points, 1,054 PIM, 215-146-49 record as a coach.

Brian: 779 games, 303 goals, 333 assists, 636 points, 1,786 PIM, 451-417-140-20 record as a coach, Jack Adams Award in 1991.

Darryl: 406 games, 161 goals, 118 assists, 279 points, 288 PIM, 507-387-109-46 record as a coach, Stanley Cup coach in 2012, 2014

Duane: 731 games, 139 goals, 203 assists. 342 points, 1,333 PIM, 22-35-8-7 record as a coach

Rich: 874 games, 149 goals, 166 assists, 315 points, 1,411 PIM

Ron: 1,093 games, 205 goals, 328 assists, 533 points, 1,352 PIM

First off, this thread title should have read a Bill Pidto-like, "Which Sutter Brutter had the best career?"

:)

Ok, that's out of the way...

From a standpoint of playing and coaching, will go with Brent Sutter who not only played the most games, but was the most productive AND still had a winning record as a coach.

From a purely "reaching the pinnacle" standpoint, albeit as coach, not player, hard not to go Darryl, because as Yave pointed out, it's the Cup.

That said, since the thread title is about both playing and coaching, will go with the combination of playing/coaching of Brent Sutter.

Now, what isn't clear, at least to me, did any of the Sutter Brutters win a Cup as players?

And if so, were they an integral part of the team, or the 24th man, so to speak?

Also, side note:

That age old saying that "Those who cannot do become coaches" seems to hold true here.

Darryl Sutter, while playing the LEAST amount of games and having the least amount of production as a player, nonetheless, reached the highest rank a coach can, and that is of course, leading his teams to two Cups and coaching overall, the most games.

Now, what isn't clear, at least to me, did any of the Sutter Brutters win a Cup as players?

And if so, were they an integral part of the team, or the 24th man, so to speak?

I don't know how I left that out, other than the fact that I was coming up to the end of my lunch break and was trying to get the thread up.

Duane was a member of the Islanders during their four-peat, and Brent was there for the second half of it.

I don't know how I left that out, other than the fact that I was coming up to the end of my lunch break and was trying to get the thread up.

Duane was a member of the Islanders during their four-peat, and Brent was there for the second half of it.

I see...well, in that case, my pick for Brent is solidified.

Most productive player AND winning a Stanley Cup as player, if not coach in the NHL.

Did a bit of digging since my last post, and it seems he has had success as a Juniors coach as well winning two World Juniors championships.

So taken in all, I stand by my pick, Brent Sutter.  :D

Archived