Best non playoff team in Hockey

yave1964

Who is the best non playoff team in Hockey  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best non-playoff team in Hockey?

• Flyers
    • Devils
    • Jackets
    • Panthers
    • Stars
    • Avalanche
    • Sharks

Leaving the teams in the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes out of the equation, of the teams that are out of it for this year but arent downright rotten, who is the best team out there going forward?

For this discussion I thew the Flyers, Devils, Stars, Jackets, Panthers, Avalanche and Sharks into the mix.

To me the worst is the Devils. Aging and ordinary with a poor farm system.

The Flyers and Stars have Star power but gaping holes that have no answers within the organization. The Sharks have a mixed bag of young talent and no goaltender and skilled players on the wrong side of 30.

So to me, the choice comes down to 3 teams, the Avalanche, Jackets or Panthers.

Florida has come a long way, Ekblad gave the defense instant credibility, Bjugstad stepped up and some of the other high draft pick forwards are finally showing promise.

Colorado has as many 20-somethings that are worth coveting as most any team in the game among their forwards. The defense is anonymous and lacks depth, when Erik Johnson went down so did all hope. If they can get one, maybe even two defenseman, (Dangling surplus O'Reilly) they could be a 100 point team next year.

But to my way of thinking the team with the highest hopes entering next year among the non contenders would have to be the Jackets. A surplus of young skilled forwards bursting at the seams, Ryan Murray, Jack Johnson and Savard among others on defense and Bob between the pipes. A snakebit injury plagued start to the year killed them early. I see them, as currently built  with the hopes that they retain Dubinsky (An UFA) and that he returns healthy as challenging for the top of the division next year.

Other trhoughts?

The Devils are in the Poll?

Nice Joke

Schneider has them in the 'quasi-contender' role pretty much all by himself. They are to good to be bad, too bad to be good, all because of him.

Schneider has them in the 'quasi-contender' role pretty much all by himself. They are to good to be bad, too bad to be good, all because of him.

That leaves them in the worst position of all. Not good enough for contention, yet not bad enough to get a high draft pick. And this won't stop happening anytime soon.

The Panthers feel upwardly mobile to me, when i watch them, they don't look like a bad hockey team.  They have good size and speed, Bobby Lou keeps things close when they do **** the bed, They have some anchor players in place in important positions.... I think Tallon is doing a good job of building that team.

I also agree that if not for a hellacious year with injuries, the Jackets would be a playoff team, they play fast and heavy, they have good skill, i'm still not sold on Bobrovsky in a pressure cooker atmosphere.  However, I think of the teams listed they will be in the mix to contend the in the shortest time frame.

Archived