Flyers Versus Blackhawks, 3/25 -- Timonen Tribute

Howie58

Greetings:

I am hoping that HF and others will allow me to get a thread started. I know the Berube situation seems to be grabbing a lot of attention.

Food for Thought: We are just under five years from extending the Blackhawks to six games in the SCF. Time really does fly. But think a second about the direction of these two teams. It's interesting. Other than Giroux, who the heck is even left from our squad. On the other hand, Chicago had to let Niemi (I think) and Byufglen (sp.) go but their core is intact and still strong.

Maybe there's a lesson. They built patiently through the draft with some smart pickups (yeah, Sharp), and we had a collection of folks, largely built via trade...who are gone. So...regardless of score, this game is kind of an interesting reminder of design strategy, and our strategy seems to result in random, fluke deep playoff runs with lots of inconsistent mediocrity in the mix. Yes, Berube should go. But I don't think the mess we see is all of his making. My brother told me that Snider made another remark about being a few players away...OMG.

Best,

Howie

Good morning Howie,

I agree. I believe there is a dysfunction going on right now with the direction of the team. As I said in the shout box, you have Murray and Hexy publicly not on the same page about Ghost a few weeks back, the whole Reese mess, and now Snider in the article this morning acting like we are a few moves away from a cup and that "patience is the wrong thing to be preaching" (his words as close as I recall them). Berube must be drinking with his decisions in the past month. Berube, Hextall and Snider are all reading different books much less the same page. 

What I got out of that article this morning is that Snider is going to ( or already has) pressured Hextall to make "big" moves for the sake of moves to win a cup next year which IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN! (should never say never but really....)

And your point about the Hawks verse the Flyers is spot on. Hextall is trying to do the right thing but I have become skeptical to a large degree as to whether he will be allowed to do it his way. 

I fear there will be major moves this summer that are not gonna please us and put us in mediocrity for many more years to come. 

The formula has to change and the first tweak is to get Snider to stop meddling around and shut up.

Hommer created allot of this mess but must be happy at this point not to be Hexy. And, if Hexy deviates from his vision this summer we know it will be because of pressure from Snider. Then , one has to wonder how much of Hommer's decisions were really his...

of design strategy, and our strategy seems to result in random, fluke deep playoff runs with lots of inconsistent mediocrity in the mix.

There in lies a root cause... The management team has considered those deep fluky runs in the playoffs as the norm when they should be concerned that mediocrity is the real norm.

""So there's a question of potential trades, free-agent signings, draft picks surprising you. I don't like to give the impression that, 'Hey, we aren't going to win.' It's Ron's job to analyze why. Why did this same team that made the playoffs fall?"

The above quote from Snider boggles my mind.   It does not take nuclear scientist to figure out and "analyze" this this team sucks.   Frankly, it is Ed himself and Homer...     

""So there's a question of potential trades, free-agent signings, draft picks surprising you. I don't like to give the impression that, 'Hey, we aren't going to win.' It's Ron's job to analyze why. Why did this same team that made the playoffs fall?"

The above quote from Snider boggles my mind.   It does not take nuclear scientist to figure out and "analyze" this this team sucks.   Frankly, it is Ed himself and Homer...     

Because it's not the same team, Ed. You lost experience and leadership on the blueline in Timonen, and grit, sandpaper, and a top-line LW in Hartnell. Timonen was unforeseen and the Hartnell move was done with an eye on the future. The team is in need of something somewhere between a tinkering and a bombing. When you lose two important pieces and replace them with lesser parts (No offense to MDZ, I think he's been great this season, but he doesn't fully replace what Timonen brought. Umberger doesn't need an explanation) it should be no surprise that the team dips.

it should be no surprise that the team dips.

There's no reason to call them all dips! Oh, you mean the team dipped... I got it.

Seriously though, Snider made it sound like Hextall/Fans/Media should NOT have patience and all we need is a tweak. I'm not sure what planet he's on...

this is off-season should be very telling...

Honestly, if there is a blessing is that Ed cant really do much b/c of the cap situation.   They are pretty much screwed for the next year.   As long as VLC, McDud, RJ and the likes are on the roster there is not a lot of money to go around.

"I don't think we've ever really been impatient with the kids." Really??

Anyhow, I'm torn, since I'm going to be at tonight's game. Want them to play well, but I want them to have the best chance of drafting an impact player as possible.

This is why I hate Ed so much. I can see him fire Hextall this offseason if Hextall doesn't make trades to gey this team in the playoffs for $$$$. I swear I will quit being a Flyers fan until he is dead.

Greetings:

It's funny, at 57 I wonder if I will live to see another Cup.  So I put myself in Snider's shoes and understand the impatience...at least a bit. 

Impatience is part of the problem.  So is inbreeding.  Hexy is sort of "hybrid" who's spent time outside the Flyers, but he may be tainted too.  I hope not..maybe the years in LA left their mark.  But I would feel much better if we started getting people from Detroit or Chicago to GM and coach.  

The DNA of this team is still Cup-year related.  And that may take the passing of Snider, Homer, Clarkie, et. al from the scene.  But having control in the hands of people who grew up outside the organization is another step we need to take. 

Howie

Why couldn't we have more efforts like this earlier this year?

Because they are dysfunctional....they need to lay on the couch and talk to an expert...sad looks like they will be stuck at the 8th pick if they don't fall back further.

Like many have said they don't even know how to lose right.

Where was this effort when they were fighting the Bruins for a playoff spot?

Awesome game to be at. Anyone see how the fight between Carcillo and Bellemare started?

Yeah Carcillo ran into him and lead with his shoulder when Bellemare was headed towards the bench...i wish he would have KO'd Carcillo...he did ok though.

Archived