Simmonds (LBI), MacDonald (UBI) done for season

AJgoal

Per Meltzers twitter: Flyers announce after the game that Wayne Simmonds (left foot) and Andrew MacDonald (upper-body).will miss remainder of season.

Simmonds took a shot off the foot during the late pp. I didn't see MacDonald get hurt, might have been when he got upended late.

Yeah, that is what I thought also.  Damn broken leg.  That sucks.

Just as Jake is back tied with Tavaras and Crosby for the most points in the league.

Fractured leg for Simmonds? Ouch, that's not good at all. 

Any chance MacDud's injury can be long-term? Maybe 5 seasons or so?

Not thrilled about the Akeson recall. I'd rather see someone like Leier.

Not thrilled about the Akeson recall. I'd rather see someone like Leier.

Yes, I agree, Leier would have been the correct recall. A one or two game try out would not hurt anything....and would be a nice reward for his stellar all round play. Plus, he has more upside than Akeson, so he gets his feet wet and show him up close just how fast the NHL game is, so he knows what to work on over the summer.

Plus, he has more upside than Akeson, so he gets his feet wet and show him up close just how fast the NHL game is, so he knows what to work on over the summer.

I guess they're giving Akeson the chance because he's been up here a few times before. I'm with you, though, in thinking Leier has higher upside (in terms of value to the team, not necessarily offensive output).

@brelic  Agreed. Akeson is not exactly chopped liver or anything, but Leier's value lies in the all round game (even though I believe he will badly outscore Akeson at the NHL level also). Even from a checking line, Leier is gonna have both offensive and defensive impact. Our penalty killing was so very brutal this year, that wholesale changes MUST be made to our core group of pk guys....this gives Leier a leg up on some of the other prospects going into training camp next year. One of the HUGE needs of the Flyers are smart, fast tenacious forwards who can play both ways, and those particular skills are right in Leier's wheelhouse.

@brelic  Agreed. Akeson is not exactly chopped liver or anything, but Leier's value lies in the all round game (even though I believe he will badly outscore Akeson at the NHL level also). Even from a checking line, Leier is gonna have both offensive and defensive impact. Our penalty killing was so very brutal this year, that wholesale changes MUST be made to our core group of pk guys....this gives Leier a leg up on some of the other prospects going into training camp next year. One of the HUGE needs of the Flyers are smart, fast tenacious forwards who can play both ways, and those particular skills are right in Leier's wheelhouse.

Do you think maybe they're going with Akeson to give him a "make it or break it" opportunity?   I mean, you mentioned he's not chopped live, but he's nothing particularly impressive either.  This may just be his opportunity to show something or be a career AHLer.

Do you think maybe they're going with Akeson to give him a "make it or break it" opportunity?   I mean, you mentioned he's not chopped live, but he's nothing particularly impressive either.  This may just be his opportunity to show something or be a career AHLer.

With another team of course as he is a FA this summer.   ;)  Personally, I don't thnk the Flyers have room for him next season.

With another team of course as he is a FA this summer.   ;)  Personally, I don't thnk the Flyers have room for him next season.

So, quite possibly, they're letting him have an audition for free agency?   That's awfully neighborly of him.   If he hurries up and tears his ACL perhaps Chip Kelly will sign him.

I'd keep him around on the Phantoms. He's one of the leading scorers down there and could help the team win with the influx of new, young guys next year. There are a bunch of players I'd let go before Akeson.

That being said, I think he's an AHLer, but that's ok. The overwhelming majority of players in the world are not NHLers. Someone's gotta play on the farm, and it may as well be a guy who can score a lot.

I'd keep him around on the Phantoms. He's one of the leading scorers down there and could help the team win with the influx of new, young guys next year. There are a bunch of players I'd let go before Akeson.

That being said, I think he's an AHLer, but that's ok. The overwhelming majority of players in the world are not NHLers. Someone's gotta play on the farm, and it may as well be a guy who can score a lot.

That's the way I see it also. I don't think Akeson has shown enough at the NHL level to leverage a 1 way contract out of any other team.....so he would be wise to resign with the Flyers on a 2 way deal...and be prepared to ride the buses unless a lot of injuries plague the Flyers. He's the kind of guy who can be a successful AHL scorer, which helps build a winning atmosphere on the Phantoms. Plus, the Flyers know what they are getting, so no real surprises. I'd be ok with him sticking around and adding to the Phantoms depth.

So i was reading Hexy was saying that after the trade deadline teams are allowed only 4 recalls but what would happen if you had used all of the recalls and then injuries happen??? Would you have to skate a man down there must be some kind of emergency situation or something.

Teams have 4 non-emergency recalls. Cousins is a non-emergency recall because VLC is still able to skate, but is scratched. If a team falls below 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies due to injury or suspension, they can utilize an emergency recall which does not count against this number.

Teams have 4 non-emergency recalls. Cousins is a non-emergency recall because VLC is still able to skate, but is scratched. If a team falls below 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies due to injury or suspension, they can utilize an emergency recall which does not count against this number.

Ok so there are emergency recalls ok that makes since.

hmmm, learn something every day...did not know that, or at least did not know the exact number.

hmmm, learn something every day...did not know that, or at least did not know the exact number.

Which to me i don't see the need for limiting it. I think teams should be given unlimited call ups they are in the midst of trying to find the best lineup for the playoffs. And having unlimited call ups maybe it would cause teams to not come up players so much earlier in the season and instead let them settle in with their AHL team and let them develop chemistry with said team. Because when it's limited it seems teams would be forced to call them up early know they have limited chances later when they may need more.

After the deadline guys get called up to try and find the best lineup before the playoffs. To me it's backwards.

Which to me i don't see the need for limiting it. I think teams should be given unlimited call ups they are in the midst of trying to find the best lineup for the playoffs. And having unlimited call ups maybe it would cause teams to not come up players so much earlier in the season and instead let them settle in with their AHL team and let them develop chemistry with said team. Because when it's limited it seems teams would be forced to call them up early know they have limited chances later when they may need more.

After the deadline guys get called up to try and find the best lineup before the playoffs. To me it's backwards.

Totally agree, the NHL is making some pretty stupid rules as far as I'm concerned. All call ups should be unlimited at all times. These guys are all Flyers prospects, they should full and total control where they play ....if they want to send them up and down like yo-yo's ...so be it. I guess you might be able to circumvent the cap with unlimited call ups...but who cares, let the players fly back and forth I say!!

Emergency call ups have a 48 hour limit. Remember what happened when Mason came back from surgery? The flyers had an emergency call up goalie on the roster (Stolarz?) who had to be sent back to Lehigh Valley because of the 48 hour rule. I think you are only allowed two emergency call ups.

Emergency call ups have a 48 hour limit. Remember what happened when Mason came back from surgery? The flyers had an emergency call up goalie on the roster (Stolarz?) who had to be sent back to Lehigh Valley because of the 48 hour rule. I think you are only allowed two emergency call ups.

Just to many stupid little rules.

That was a goalie exemption, and it was before the deadline. Two different things.

Archived