Bo Horvat-Remember the name

yave1964

A couple of years ago when the Canucks were shooting themselves in the foot, in the middle of going from two goalies to none they dealt Schneider to the Devils in exchange for the Devils first rounder, the 9th pick in the draft which the Canucks used to draft Bo Horvat. I did not understand trading Schneider at the time (part of me still does not) but i REALLY like this kid. At only 19 he has not embarrassed himself in the NHL this year.mPARyupYqsiDUTtl4_e85qg.jpg

He was used sparingly to start the season, being worked in slowly over the first 30 games having only 2 goals and 5 assists (including a 3 assist game against the Hawks in November. But since January 16th playing only 14 minutes a night and most of that 5 on 5 he has:

29 games

11 goals

5 assists

240 faceoff wins and a .522 win pct.

I have watched more Canuck Hockey than usual this year and the kid absolutely stands out as a future star. He reminds me of Sean Monahan who has had a breakthrough season and is the unsung heart and soul of the Flames.

The Canucks could have bombed with the 9th pick or hit a home run, dealing Schneider was a risky proposition, IMHO with Horvat they hit it out of the park. Absolutely one of my favorite under the radar players to watch this year.

@yave1964   I agree with every single word in that post. Horvat is an absolute stud. I have no question in my mind that he becomes the Canucks captain in 3 years or so. He has a real shot at passing Trevor Linden's production while in Vancouver. He will have some good young linemates arrive in a year or so also, gonna be some real fun to watch this kid grow into a star.

@yave1964   I agree with every single word in that post. Horvat is an absolute stud. I have no question in my mind that he becomes the Canucks captain in 3 years or so. He has a real shot at passing Trevor Linden's production while in Vancouver. He will have some good young linemates arrive in a year or so also, gonna be some real fun to watch this kid grow into a star.

I actually thought of you when i put this down on here, I remember being critical of the Canucks for dealing Schneider and you speaking praises about Horvat.

I usually study the defensemen when I am watching teams other than the Wings play, I want to watch the more subtle things, how well a particular pair are  matching up, that type of thing, but I have enjoyed Monahan and his growth into a true number one in Calgary (HUGE props to Bob Hartley) and I have seen so much of the same thing with Horvat. He flipped a switch the second half of the year and seems to get it, an irreplaceable part of the Canucks lineup now. Looking forward to watching the duel at center ice between Horvat and Monahan for years to come.

@yave1964  Not sure who has Monahan in NAHANA, but they should be looking long and hard about protecting a 19 year old kid who is going to score 30 this year, the sky is literally the limit. Agreed, the decade+ battle between Monahan and Horvat is just about to begin. They will both eventually be the spiritual and physical leaders of their respective teams.

@Polaris922 If you don't protect Monahan, there is a very good chance I make him my 1st round pick....just say'in.....lol.

I'm going to be protecting Price, Crawford, Letang, Pacioretty... And PROBABLY Monahan. Daniel Sedin has been a let down this year, as has Henrik to some degree but I'm inclined to protect Henrik.

@Polaris922  For me, this is an instant no brainier. A 34 year old declining Henrik who has 65 pts, or a 20 Monahan who has 56 pts and can only go one way...up, up...up. This is the very last year that Henrik or Daniel gets more pts than Sean. Next year, I see Henrik at 60 pts, and Monahan at 70.....and that gap will grow bigger and bigger as the years pass.

You could see Horvat's high motor when he was in junior... i remember tuning into the Memorial Cup and hearing his name all damn game.  He created a bunch of chances back checked really effectively he stood out on a stacked London Knights team... the die is cast. he's a player, no question

You could see Horvat's high motor when he was in junior... i remember tuning into the Memorial Cup and hearing his name all damn game. He created a bunch of chances back checked really effectively he stood out on a stacked London Knights team... the die is cast. he's a player, no question

The highlight reel on NHL TV yesterday was all time with Canucks and looked impressive. Kid definitely has a bright future.

Horvat's coming out party was the under 17's tourny for Team Canada 4 years ago....he flat out dominated that tourny. Had something like 8 goals and 4 assists in 5 games, he never looked back. After that exposure, it was always where he was going in the 1st....not if...just when.

• 1 month later...

Archived