You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Kraken Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

yave1964

What an awful organization

Dave Tippett has a well deserved reputation as a solid NHL head coach. Don Maloney earned a reputation for taking over an owner-less team with little in the way of talent and squeezing out 2 100 point seasons and a few years later a post season first round victory over the Blackhawks. Sean Burke has a reputation as a goalie coach extraordinaire. mopvwbNwF9VZmUB2XRxVcRQ.jpg

So what the Hell has happened?

I was looking through the roster the other day, yes i know they just dealt Michalek and Yandle and all, but my God what a horrible team. There are better teams in the AHL right now then what the 'Yotes are throwing out there.

Maloney preferred to use the word "reboot" after realizing the organization was trending the in wrong direction having missed the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of the last three seasons, including this year's woeful 47-point campaign, which is the third-worst total in the NHL.

"We didn't expect to be here," he said. "We certainly thought we could be much more competitive. When it became clear that we weren't, after missing the playoffs barely two years ago and last year but missing by a country mile this year, internally, we had a lot of soul searching and realized this isn't working."

No kidding Don. It is not working at all.

Ekman-Larsson leads the team with 20 goals and 38 points. Shane Doan is on year two fo his farewell tour. Nobody else is vvery good or very interesting.

Hanzal and Boedker took forever to get the career going, are second liners on a good team and cannot stay healthy.

Mike Smith replaced Bryz and Burke salvaged his career long enough for Smith to sign a long term contract, now Smith with his 3.17 goals against may be the worst starting goalie in the game.

David Moss bombed in Calgary. Mark Arcobello was released by 3 teams this year. THIS YEAR. Now he is their number one center. Martin Erat is in hiding and will forever be known a sthe guy who demanded a trade out of Washington because they didnt love him after his 3 goal season and being dealt for Filip forsberg.

Sam Gagner continues his one good, one bad, one wretched game way of playing in the NHL, so bad that the Oilers threw up their hands and gave up on him, he plays top line minutes in Arizona.

Tye McGinn, Craig Cunningham and Andrew campbell were let go this year by other teams, told, go find employment elsewhere, we cannot find anyone willing to trade for you, they found employment in the desert and play regular minutes.

B.J. Crombeen, Kyle Chipchura and Joe Vitale have formed a semi-regular line most of the season. Really. They play for the Coyotes because the French Foreign Legion turned them down.

An absolutely awful organization devoid of talent from top to bottom. Oh, they do have Samuelsson and Domi and a few other prospects who may have solid careers and the truth is I think a lot of Michael Stone as a hard hitting defenseman but they do not have ten players in the entire organization who I would want.tumblr_mmy695B0Oq1qec8b2o1_1280.jpg

Maloney, IMHO needs to go. The Success they had may have went to his head, he seems to think that after reclamation projects such as Smith and Bryz that he can do it with anyone. He signed Dubnyk this year, Burke fixed him and they donated him to the Wild. Now Burke is looking for greener pastures.

Bad times in Arizona. The team has never really caught on, other than a few years ago when they rode the shootout to abnormal success and a few years of Roenick. With a talent pool such as this, i wonder where they will wind up. And if anyone would want them.

@yave1964  They are crappy, but with Domi, Duclair and Perlini on the way, plus this years draft haul, things just have to get better for the Yotes in the coming years. I feel bad for Domi, great Canadian kid going and wasting his career in the desert....he did not deserve that fate.

@jammer2

I'm guessing you can throw one of McDavid/Eichel/Hanifan/Marner to that list. Not sold on Perlini yet, the skills there but he's soft. 

they do not have ten players in the entire organization who I would want.

They may not have 10 players in the organization I would want but there aren't 10 players in the NHL that I would want more than OEL. He's a Norris caliber talent being wasted out there. I honestly hope they get McDavid.

They may not have 10 players in the organization I would want but there aren't 10 players in the NHL that I would want more than OEL. He's a Norris caliber talent being wasted out there. I honestly hope they get McDavid.

Bold statement. Not ten players in the entire NHL you would take over OEL?

I would easily go not ten defensemen, Oel is special, he ran Yandle out of town and deserves to the accolades as one of the top 10 d-men in the game. But I would not consider him one of the top ten players in the game. Not ripping on him, he could play for me any day of the week and twice on Sunday, i just don't consider him one of the ten best players in the entire game.

Oh hell no!

There will be an army of angry hockey fans from Toronto burning down the NHL head office if another star Canadian player goes to prop up that bankrupt, floundering, crap franchise. Toronto fans are not going to pay for Connor McDavid to play in Arizona... which is exactly what we currently do for many floundering franchises through revenue sharing. I'd rather see another lockout to get rid of the salary cap and floor before that day comes.  :angry:

Bold statement. Not ten players in the entire NHL you would take over OEL?

Personally the only d-man I like more than OEL right now is Doughty. So that's one. Ekblad may get there. Given the importance that I place on having a franchise d-man who excels at both ends, and factoring age into the equation, I'm pretty comfortable saying that OEL would be one of the first 10 players in the league that I'd choose. And if I'm the Flyers, given their needs, there probably aren't three players in the league I'd rather have than OEL.

Edited by JackStraw

Oh hell no!

There will be an army of angry hockey fans from Toronto burning down the NHL head office if another star Canadian player goes to prop up that bankrupt, floundering, crap franchise. Toronto fans are not going to pay for Connor McDavid to play in Arizona... which is exactly what we currently do for many floundering franchises through revenue sharing. I'd rather see another lockout to get rid of the salary cap and floor before that day comes.  :angry:

You're not thinking it through. If McDavid goes to Arizona eventually one of two things has to happen (imo), either the 'yotes start making money or they get moved. And if they get moved, well I'm sure Quebec would be willing to overlook the fact that McDavid isn't French.

You're not thinking it through. If McDavid goes to Arizona eventually one of two things has to happen (imo), either the 'yotes start making money or they get moved. And if they get moved, well I'm sure Quebec would be willing to overlook the fact that McDavid isn't French.

Aren't they stuck in a 10-year lease on that building?  ie: They can't escape. I thought that's primarily why nobody wanted to buy the team. It wasn't moveable. :(

Bettman would move them to Las Vegas before moving them to Quebec City. And even if they do start drawing fans, it's still not fair to fans in hockey markets like Toronto, Buffalo, Edmonton, etc... because they have fans that support their team good or bad. You can't have a team playing in a market where nothing short of McDavid allows them to survive. It isn't sustainable. I hate the Coyotes. They never should have left Winnipeg. They've had 20 years of hockey and the fans have never supported them. The Coyotes (with all the off-ice nonsense that has gone on over the years) are an embarrassment to the league.

Aren't they stuck in a 10-year lease on that building?  ie: They can't escape. I thought that's primarily why nobody wanted to buy the team. It wasn't moveable.

Oh, I don't know the details. You could be right. I would think the NHL could get something done if they really wanted to though.

And even if they do start drawing fans, it's still not fair to fans in hockey markets like Toronto, Buffalo, Edmonton, etc...

tumblr_lsj2pj8iPt1qhw4wvo1_500.gif

• Like 1

LOL. Columbo!  :D

@WordsOfWisdom

For all of the reasons that @JackStraw gave, I wouldn't be against McDavid going to Arizona. That team is so badly in need of a face to the organization, they are non-descript, they need someone, something for the fans to rally around. I know the Leafs are doing their level best to get there but it will likely be either Buffalo (with a loyal if rather unintelligent fan base) or Arizona (with a fanbase of about three people) who lands him. Of the two, hands down no questions asked I would rather see the 'Yotes finally catch a break. and if it does not work out, well, Quebec would love to have him. Symmetry for Colorado stealing their cup.

Dave Tippett has a well deserved reputation as a solid NHL head coach. Don Maloney earned a reputation for taking over an owner-less team with little in the way of talent and squeezing out 2 100 point seasons and a few years later a post season first round victory over the Blackhawks. Sean Burke has a reputation as a goalie coach extraordinaire. mopvwbNwF9VZmUB2XRxVcRQ.jpgThe problem is Gary Bettman. He has done everything possible to make sure, his decision to keep a team in Arizona,, not a failure. There is no way this team has produced a profit when they are pretty much giving away tickets to get fans into the arena. He should of got a clue when Gretzky bailed because he knew there was no way it was going to work in Arizona. This Franchise should have been moved a long time ago. Luckily the Jets are back in Winnipeg now, so I think this franchise should head back to the Great White North and plant themselves in Quebec City. As us puck heads realize it's wishful thinking but it's a matter of time.

So what the Hell has happened?

I was looking through the roster the other day, yes i know they just dealt Michalek and Yandle and all, but my God what a horrible team. There are better teams in the AHL right now then what the 'Yotes are throwing out there.

Maloney preferred to use the word "reboot" after realizing the organization was trending the in wrong direction having missed the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of the last three seasons, including this year's woeful 47-point campaign, which is the third-worst total in the NHL.

"We didn't expect to be here," he said. "We certainly thought we could be much more competitive. When it became clear that we weren't, after missing the playoffs barely two years ago and last year but missing by a country mile this year, internally, we had a lot of soul searching and realized this isn't working."

No kidding Don. It is not working at all.

Ekman-Larsson leads the team with 20 goals and 38 points. Shane Doan is on year two fo his farewell tour. Nobody else is vvery good or very interesting.

Hanzal and Boedker took forever to get the career going, are second liners on a good team and cannot stay healthy.

Mike Smith replaced Bryz and Burke salvaged his career long enough for Smith to sign a long term contract, now Smith with his 3.17 goals against may be the worst starting goalie in the game.

David Moss bombed in Calgary. Mark Arcobello was released by 3 teams this year. THIS YEAR. Now he is their number one center. Martin Erat is in hiding and will forever be known a sthe guy who demanded a trade out of Washington because they didnt love him after his 3 goal season and being dealt for Filip forsberg.

Sam Gagner continues his one good, one bad, one wretched game way of playing in the NHL, so bad that the Oilers threw up their hands and gave up on him, he plays top line minutes in Arizona.

Tye McGinn, Craig Cunningham and Andrew campbell were let go this year by other teams, told, go find employment elsewhere, we cannot find anyone willing to trade for you, they found employment in the desert and play regular minutes.

B.J. Crombeen, Kyle Chipchura and Joe Vitale have formed a semi-regular line most of the season. Really. They play for the Coyotes because the French Foreign Legion turned them down.

An absolutely awful organization devoid of talent from top to bottom. Oh, they do have Samuelsson and Domi and a few other prospects who may have solid careers and the truth is I think a lot of Michael Stone as a hard hitting defenseman but they do not have ten players in the entire organization who I would want.tumblr_mmy695B0Oq1qec8b2o1_1280.jpg

Maloney, IMHO needs to go. The Success they had may have went to his head, he seems to think that after reclamation projects such as Smith and Bryz that he can do it with anyone. He signed Dubnyk this year, Burke fixed him and they donated him to the Wild. Now Burke is looking for greener pastures.

Bad times in Arizona. The team has never really caught on, other than a few years ago when they rode the shootout to abnormal success and a few years of Roenick. With a talent pool such as this, i wonder where they will wind up. And if anyone would want them.

@JackStraw

Okay, lets see, who would I personally take over OEL, and again,I would take him on my team any day of the week:

Boston: none

Buffalo: none

Detroit: none

Florida: none, maybe Ekblad

Montreal: Price, Subban

Ottawa: Maybe Karlsson

Tampa: Stamkos

Toronto: none

Carolina: none

Columbus: Johansson

Devils: Maybe Schneider

Isles: Tavares

Rangers: Lundqvist

Flyers: Giroux

Penguins Crosby Malkin

Capitals: Ovie

Hawks Kane Toews maybe Keith

"Lanche: Maybe Mackinnon

Stars: Benn Seguin

Wild: none

Predators: Rinne Weber

Blues: none

Jets: none

Ducks: Getzlaf Perry

Flames: Monahan

Oilers: none

Kings: Doughty, maybe Kopitar maybe Quick

'Yotes: none

Sharks: none

Canucks: none

And McDavid

So that is, lets see....21 players who I would take before him (if you include McDavid) with half a dozen maybes.

Defenseman who I would take before him are: Doughty, Weber and Subban, with Ekblad, Keith, Karlsson all being in the category that I would consider equals.

So somewhere between 20-28 and around 4th overall among defenseman. Nothing to be ashamed of, the problem with the Coyotes is they do not have anyone else in the top 300, maybe the top 400 in the NHL. Who is their second best player? OEL should be able to sue Don Maloney for Non support.

@yave1964 - well, without getting into detail (because it would require me to think too much) my general thinking is this- first, there is no winger in the game that I would take over OEL (or any other franchise d-man for that matter). I just value that position (wing) less than any of the others. Second, considering the fact that OEL is only 23, I wouldn't want any older (say, 30 or over) player over him. Obviously that could depend on the situation, if you're a contending team and missing one piece who happens to be a 32 year old winger then the thinking could be different. But thinking in vague, general terms, I'll take the 23 year old stud defenseman over pretty much any 30+ year old player. So again, without going into details my field is narrower than yours.

I'm not really arguing that OEL is one of the 10 best players in the league, just that it would probably be tough for me to say that there are 10 players that I would really rather have than him. Obviously, "your mileage may vary".

@yave1964 - well, without getting into detail (because it would require me to think too much) my general thinking is this- first, there is no winger in the game that I would take over OEL (or any other franchise d-man for that matter). I just value that position (wing) less than any of the others. Second, considering the fact that OEL is only 23, I wouldn't want any older (say, 30 or over) player over him. Obviously that could depend on the situation, if you're a contending team and missing one piece who happens to be a 32 year old winger then the thinking could be different. But thinking in vague, general terms, I'll take the 23 year old stud defenseman over pretty much any 30+ year old player. So again, without going into details my field is narrower than yours.

I'm not really arguing that OEL is one of the 10 best players in the league, just that it would probably be tough for me to say that there are 10 players that I would really rather have than him. Obviously, "your mileage may vary".

Fun talk.

I threw a few Wingers in, Ovie, Perry, maybe a couple of more with the same reservations as you.

It was rather depressing, as a Wings fan, realizing there was no Wing I wouldn't give up even up for him any day. But like I said other than him there is absolutely nothing there at the NHL level right now. Anyway, good chat. Peace.

@WordsOfWisdom

For all of the reasons that @JackStraw gave, I wouldn't be against McDavid going to Arizona. That team is so badly in need of a face to the organization, they are non-descript, they need someone, something for the fans to rally around. I know the Leafs are doing their level best to get there but it will likely be either Buffalo (with a loyal if rather unintelligent fan base) or Arizona (with a fanbase of about three people) who lands him. Of the two, hands down no questions asked I would rather see the 'Yotes finally catch a break. and if it does not work out, well, Quebec would love to have him. Symmetry for Colorado stealing their cup.

I know what you're saying but I could say the same thing about the Leafs x 10, or about the Sabres, or the Oilers, etc.  Those are all franchises whose fans haven't had anything to cheer about for decades. The only difference between them and Arizona is fan interest.

In Toronto, Buffalo, and Edmonton, people care about hockey. In Phoenix/Arizona/Las Vegas, they don't.

I understand that people feel sorry for the situation the Coyotes find themselves in, but all of those people live outside of Arizona! Nobody in the Coyotes market knows who McDavid is, who the Coyotes are, or what is going on. Nobody is watching the NHL draft in Arizona. If the Coyotes lost out on McDavid, NOBODY in Arizona would even know about it! You could move the team and nobody would even notice it was gone!

I try to draw parallels between this situation and other pro sports leagues, and there aren't any. Imagine if Derek Jeter played his entire career for the Pittsburgh Pirates instead of the New York Yankees. Is it better to spoil a great player's career by having him play in mostly meaningless games in front of empty stadiums, never making the playoffs, or would you rather have an all-time great player on a great franchise, playing on the biggest stage of all?

Having McDavid in Toronto (if he becomes the next Crosby) doubles the value of the Leafs... which basically increases the value of the entire NHL by about 25%. The Leafs rising tide would lift all the "boats" in the NHL. Having McDavid in Arizona does nothing but delay the inevitable. You avoid bankruptcy by 10-15 more years. The league saves a few dollars on revenue sharing. Maybe the Coyotes break even for a change instead of losing money hand over fist. It doesn't do anything for the other 29 franchises. You're still losing eyeballs in Toronto, Buffalo, Edmonton, and other core hockey markets.

A double whammy is that he'd be playing out West... where half the population in the continent can't even see the games because they're on at 1am.

It would be a real shame to see such a great talent waste his skills in front of no audience. Consider this: McDavid gets more media coverage now (as a junior) than he will get in the NHL if he plays in Arizona.

Speaking of awful (NTTAWWT), check out the Sabres fans cheering their beloved home team's loss to the Yotes in OT last night:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

#tankgate

Give it a couple of years you will compete. This weekend you'll win your second game against the Pens!

@JackStraw

Okay, lets see, who would I personally take over OEL, and again,I would take him on my team any day of the week:

Boston: none

Buffalo: none

Detroit: none

Florida: none, maybe Ekblad

Montreal: Price, Subban

Ottawa: Maybe Karlsson

Tampa: Stamkos

Toronto: none

Carolina: none

Columbus: Johansson

Devils: Maybe Schneider

Isles: Tavares

Rangers: Lundqvist

Flyers: Giroux

Penguins Crosby Malkin

Capitals: Ovie

Hawks Kane Toews maybe Keith

"Lanche: Maybe Mackinnon

Stars: Benn Seguin

Wild: none

Predators: Rinne Weber

Blues: none

Jets: none

Ducks: Getzlaf Perry

Flames: Monahan

Oilers: none

Kings: Doughty, maybe Kopitar maybe Quick

'Yotes: none

Sharks: none

Canucks: none

And McDavid

So that is, lets see....21 players who I would take before him (if you include McDavid) with half a dozen maybes.

Defenseman who I would take before him are: Doughty, Weber and Subban, with Ekblad, Keith, Karlsson all being in the category that I would consider equals.

So somewhere between 20-28 and around 4th overall among defenseman. Nothing to be ashamed of, the problem with the Coyotes is they do not have anyone else in the top 300, maybe the top 400 in the NHL. Who is their second best player? OEL should be able to sue Don Maloney for Non support.

Not to be picky, but I think you left out the young St.Louis Blues phenom Mr.Tarasenko.

Don't forget the Pens! They are striving to miss the playoffs so they would have a chance to draft someone like mcdavid

One week left in the season and only TWO teams have clinched a playoff spot. #ThisMuchParitySucks

:(

@yave1964

I Like OEL. But I think you guys are overrating him a bit. I watch more Yotes games than i care to. Most of the yotes fans are heartbroken to see Yandle leave and think he was the better player. They also thought he deserved the all star selection more lol.

Mind you, at his age, he is a bargain and sure to improve

@jammer2

Crap missed Taresenko. Absolutely right sir.

@J0e Th0rnton A lot of the argument brought forth by @JackStraw is based around age, specifically he has a difficult time giving the edge to anyone over 30 when a young studly d-man like OEL puts up solid numbers like he has. I am a huge fan of Yandle, I waited for years for the Wings to deal for him, but eh, never was meant to be. OEL is the center piece of the rebuild in Arizona and if I were in their position I would be comfortable with that.