First line LWs the Flyers maybe can target...

OccamsRazor

Well slow day and today's conversations had my brain turning. Plus i have nothing at working going on so let's make prodcutive use of my company's time(i'm getting paid for this win/win).

So i was just think about some LWs the Flyers could target who are just getting to the NHL or are close so here goes thoughts are welcome.

My initial offer would be to send the Schenn brothers for them you have to give in order to get. So yes some of these guys you will have to sweeten it. But no matter what Giroux and Jake need a LW.

1- Jonathan Drouin 5-11 176

2- Nikolaj Ehlers 5-11 163

3- Johnny Gaudreau 5-7 155

4- Filip Forsberg 6-1 186

5- Michael Dal Colle 6-2 184

6- Andre Burakovsky 6-1 176

7- Kevin Fiala 5-11 195

That is a quick list of guys that are young and could be potential targets.

So why say you. I know they can always draft one still but that kid could be years away and after hearing Snider talk he wants to compete next year. So..................................my choice would be Micheal Dal Colle.michael_dal_colle_oshawa_generals-150x15

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no way the Flyers are getting Gaudreau or Forsberg. 

As for Dal Colle, Ehlers, etc, I mean, we can basically get the same thing with our 1st rounder this year, can we not? We pick around 6th, Dal Colle is a #5 last year, Ehlers #9. What's the point? This way we don't have to give up any assets. Put another way, would you give up our pick last year, Sanheim, for the Schenn brothers?

I had mentioned in another thread that Drouin would be interesting. I have no idea if TB would actually entertain such a trade - but given their offensive depth, they might be willing to ship off an unproven guy like Drouin for a defensively proven Couturier and their 1st rounder back.

I had mentioned in another thread that Drouin would be interesting. I have no idea if TB would actually entertain such a trade - but given their offensive depth, they might be willing to ship off an unproven guy like Drouin for a defensively proven Couturier and their 1st rounder back.

I just don't see the Bolts doing that. Drouin has an amazing skill set. Yep, he did struggle through this year, but I think this guy is a guaranteed star. I would not touch that Couts and their 1st back deal....that would not be nearly enough. They would start with the Flyers 6-10 picks and still want a tad more. At that point, why bother? You can get your own star. Maybe the Bolts are more inclined to deal Drouin if he has an attitude problem....but then why would the Flyers want to take on that mess? 

The guy from that list that would fit the Flyers needs the most is Dal Colle....but to get the Islanders to trade a cornerstone pick like that....AND in their own division....that is gonna take a whole lotta roster unraveling. The Islanders could watch him destroy them for the next 12 years or so....not a pleasant outcome for Mr.Snow.

1- Jonathan Drouin 5-11 176

2- Nikolaj Ehlers 5-11 163

3- Johnny Gaudreau 5-7 155

4- Filip Forsberg 6-1 186

5- Michael Dal Colle 6-2 184

6- Andre Burakovsky 6-1 176

7- Kevin Fiala 5-11 195

The Schenn Brothers and both firsts might get you in the door for most of these guys.

Most of these guys are on teams that are now building their future around these guys.  You'll have a better shot at trading up for McDavid.

@OccamsRazor   There are 2 young LW'ers that I would covet above all the others.....1st would be Nick Ritchie on the Ducks....then Dal Colle from the Islanders. I think it would take an insane amount of picks and NHL talent to pry them loose, but you would have to do your due diligence and at least explore the price. Ehlers would be a close 3rd....Johnny hockey and Forsberg (prob the rookie of the year) might cost more cause they are now considered "proven" NHL'ers with bright futures.

Can't say that when Gretzky was traded....but you're right it would be costly.

We pick around 6th, Dal Colle is a #5 last year, Ehlers #9. What's the point?

Simple they are closer to competing in the NHL i'm not saying trade for the guys to back to junior on the AHL i'm talking about playing on a rebuilding team next year...so they could come in and compete for a chance next year...i'm not saying they will but i'm talking about removing guys that really one are replaceable for a need...which is LW.

This way we don't have to give up any assets

I'm just throwing names out there the older guys who maybe closer to playing full time would be Ehlers and Burakovsky. Plus some of these team need a center and defensemen. And yes some it make take sweetening the deal. But Snider said he want to compete next year so that is being taken into consideration and they need a LW. Not saying any of these guy can just come in and play on G's LW...but it's worth looking into.

The guy from that list that would fit the Flyers needs the most is Dal Colle....but to get the Islanders to trade a cornerstone pick like that....AND in their own division....that is gonna take a whole lotta roster unraveling.

Just send them a cornerstone defenseman also in Mcdud to sweeten it!!!! :ph34r:

The Schenn Brothers and both firsts might get you in the door for most of these guys.

Most of these guys are on teams that are now building their future around these guys.  You'll have a better shot at trading up for McDavid.

I wouldn't blink at the Schenns but the 2 1st would be costly. Like i stated this is just for conversation purposes i'm not saying let do it let's trade everything for these guys....just something new to talk about some of the other stuff for me is just getting stale.

My initial offer would be to send the Schenn brothers for them you have to give in order to get. So yes some of these guys you will have to sweeten it. But no matter what Giroux and Jake need a LW.

Honestly, I don't think you could get to the top 5....maybe even top 6 on that list with the Schenn brothers. Why would anyone want Luke....first and foremost, he's a slow pylon with no upside...and his brother, despite his very respectable 20 goal season, he does nothing elite, not his skating, toughness, vision....it's all "meh" middle of the road mediocrity. I would not want to bother with the cap hit on those 2...much less give up a potential star to get them....I just don't see it.

Honestly, I don't think you could get to the top 5....maybe even top 6 on that list with the Schenn brothers.

Yes i stated it would more than likely have to be sweetened...but if you're wanting to compete next year where is this 1st line LW going to come from...the market looks bleak.

Why would anyone want Luke....first and foremost, he's a slow pylon with no upside

No but he is only signed for one more year so it could be a nice rental who once again may be traded at next year's deadline if the said team doesn't like him.

I would not want to bother with the cap hit on those 2

I think both have reasonable price tags not that horrible and they are both relatively young.

I wouldn't blink at the Schenns but the 2 1st would be costly. Like i stated this is just for conversation purposes i'm not saying let do it let's trade everything for these guys....just something new to talk about some of the other stuff for me is just getting stale.

Agreed.  I mean having the two firsts is fun... and it would be nice to imagine we could draft a Gudreau in there someday... but I guess we got our Giroux... and our Carter...  and Gagne before them.  We draft okay sometimes.  Sometimes.  It ould be fun to imagine a Forsberg type coming to the FLyers this year.  Pipe dreamy maybe... but fun.

I just don't see the Bolts doing that. Drouin has an amazing skill set. Yep, he did struggle through this year, but I think this guy is a guaranteed star. I would not touch that Couts and their 1st back deal....that would not be nearly enough. They would start with the Flyers 6-10 picks and still want a tad more. At that point, why bother? You can get your own star. Maybe the Bolts are more inclined to deal Drouin if he has an attitude problem....but then why would the Flyers want to take on that mess? 

Exactly. I don't see it happening either for the reasons you mention.

A list of the free agent LW.....all seem costly to me or not that good with limited cap space.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2014/11/25/2015-nhl-free-agents-unrestricted-left-wingers/

Player Team 2014-15 Cap Hit 2014-15 Salary
Martin Erat ARI $4,500,000 $2,250,000
Erik Cole DAL $4,500,000 $4,000,000
Mats Zuccarello NYR $3,500,000 $3,500,000
Nick Foligno CLB $3,083,000 $3,750,000
Sean Bergenheim FLA $2,750,000 $2,750,000
Curtis Glencross CGY $2,550,000 $2,500,000
Daniel Cleary DET $2,500,000 $1,500,000
Brenden Morrow TBL $1,550,000 $1,550,000
Martin Havlat NJD $1,500,000 $1,500,000
Matt Beleskey ANA $1,350,000 $1,400,000
Dan Paille BOS $1,300,000 $1,300,000
David Booth TOR $1,100,000 $1,100,000
Dany Heatley ANA $1,000,000 $1,000,000
Jesse Joensuu EDM $950,000 $1,000,000
David Moss ARI $800,000 $800,000
Eric Boulton NYI $775,000 $650,000
Tom Sestito VAN $750,000 $850,000
T.J. Galiardi WPG $750,000 $750,000
Frazer McLaren TOR $700,000 $700,000
John Scott SJS $700,000 $700,000
Ryan Malone NYR $700,000 $700,000
Will Acton EDM $680,000 $680,000
Jay Rosehill PHI $675,000 $675,000
Kael Mouillierat NYI $675,000 $675,000
Mike Angelidis TBL $650,000 $650,000
Rob Klinkhammer ARI $625,000 $650,000
John McCarthy STL $600,000 $600,000
Ryan Hamilton EDM $600,000 $600,000
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare PHI $600,000 $600,000
Simon Gagne BOS $600,000 $600,000
Harry Zolnierczyk NYI $600,000 $600,000
Stephane Veilleux MIN $588,000 $575,000
Bryan Lerg SJS $575,000 $575,000
Aaron Volpatti WAS $575,000 $600,000
Kevin Henderson NAS $550,000 $550,000
Daniel Carcillo CHI $550,000 $550,000
Pierre-Cedric Labrie CHI $550,000 $550,000
Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond PIT $550,000 $550,000
Matt Ellis BUF $550,000 $550,000
Tim Kennedy WAS $550,000 $550,000

Agreed.  I mean having the two firsts is fun... and it would be nice to imagine we could draft a Gudreau in there someday... but I guess we got our Giroux... and our Carter...  and Gagne before them.  We draft okay sometimes.  Sometimes.  It ould be fun to imagine a Forsberg type coming to the FLyers this year.  Pipe dreamy maybe... but fun.

Yes like i said i'm ok just standing pat using the draft picks and still going with the 3-4 year window to compete....but this isn't what Snider mentioned he said he wants to utilize G, Jake, Simmer and Mason pime and try to compete next year so this is with that in mind...so the 3-4 window doesn't apply with him.

The only real impact player from that very crappy list is Nick Foligno....and I don't expect him to be UFA at all, the Blue Jackets will sign him up for sure. After that, the only guys that are really useful are Cole, Zuccarello and Glencross...and to a lesser extent, Bergenheim....other than those guys, I would not touch the rest. Another factor is, they all come with some types of warts and all will get vastly overpaid on the FA market.

As for Dal Colle, Ehlers, etc, I mean, we can basically get the same thing with our 1st rounder this year, can we not? We pick around 6th, Dal Colle is a #5 last year, Ehlers #9. What's the point? This way we don't have to give up any assets. Put another way, would you give up our pick last year, Sanheim, for the Schenn brothers?

Drouin (apart from the fact that he hasn't been that impressive from what I've seen) does not have the skill set that would compliment Giroux and Voracek. He'd be another playmaker on a line that already has two pass-first kind of players. And he's not going to be crashing the net and scoring the dirty goals.

Yes like i said i'm ok just standing pat using the draft picks and still going with the 3-4 year window to compete....but this isn't what Snider mentioned he said he wants to utilize G, Jake, Simmer and Mason pime and try to compete next year so this is with that in mind...so the 3-4 window doesn't apply with him.

Well he's old.  I'm not sure he's planning too much in his life 4 years from now. 

and if by "compete" he means squeak into the playoffs and see what happens, yeah totally I'm all for that.  I don't think they're a cup contender style competitive team, but I do believe this team will look much much different (better) with a different coach.    Even just the past two games, they've really started passing and outletting differently.  I honestly don't know what that's all about, but I like watching it.

unless we are lucky and get in the top 5 and get a top lw in lawson crouse, a move has to be made to get a top line winger. this team cant go into next season without a top line left winger, schenn, raffl is not working, something has to be done.

Here is Asst. G.M. Ron Jeremys plan for improving our team at the draft and getting a left wing. Right now we have our first round pick ,around  7th and a late first rounder from Tampa probably around 25 or higher. We also have four good young centers, Coots ,Schenn, Cousins and Laughton, and there just isnt any room for all of them,If we planned to make Cousins or Laugton into left wingers, they should have done that from their first day in the AHL. Schenn is not looking all that good as a left wing either.

So the coaching staff needs to determine which two of the four centers we want to keep and who we want to use as trade bait. Obviosly we want to keep one offensive center and one defensive center. I would say Coots and Laugton are the defensive guys and Cousins and Schenn are the offensive guys. So lets assume we decide to keep Coots and Cousins that means we have the following pieces to make some moves at the draft.

7th pick

25-30th pick

Laugton and B Schenn

We can also use L Schenn, Streit and Grossman as trade chips if we can get good value for any of them

Scenario one-  Lighting strikes and we win the draft lottery we pick McDavid and then we can offer one of our young centers B Schenn or Laughton plus L 

Schenn for a top 10 pick and grab big power left winger. Lawson Crouse. We still have Tampa Bays pick and some excess players where we can try and move up again if there is a player we really like.

Scenario two- we offer our # 7 , Laugton and  L Schenn to another team for the third  or fourth pick and we grab Noah Hanfin, if we have to throw in something else then do it. Hextall offered alot for Ekblad last year, including two first round picks, B Schenn and Simmonds. 'i dont think the price for Hanfinin will be as high and we have amuch higher pick to offer this year  .Then we offer Tampas pick plus B Schenn for a top 10 pick and we grab Lawson Crouse.

These are just some ideas, package it up however you want, but we should target Hanfinin and Crouse They fit our needs and we can still trade two of our young centers and it wont hurt the team at all. For Laugton or Cousins to play someone else has to go, so somebody will surely be traded.

I think that with our extra centers, extra defensmen and two first round picks, there is no reason why we cant move up in the draft and get a power left winger and an NHL ready dman who can be the eventual leader on our blueline. We have to be realistic, there is no way we are keeping all our centers when we need help elsewhere. This is the stongest draft since 2003. We can land two top notch players that can help this team more than a bunch of centers playing in the AHL or out of position

Scouting report ----Hanfinin is supposed to be ready to step in and play in the NHL right away

The 2015 draft’s top defenseman…a smart and powerful two-way force… big, but very mobile… moves well with good speed and agility…uses his strength and reach very well when he rushes the puck, and he is tough to contain when he gets going…is skilled and confident with the puck and has the ability to take it end-to-end…used his size and body well to contain players and box them out on the walls…is smart and makes great defensive decisions…has an instinctive knack for knowing where his teammates are on the ice…supremely skilled quarterbacking the power play.

Scouting Report-- Lawson Crouse .A big-bodied forward who gives opposing defenses headaches with his effort on the forecheck…tough to contain with his huge frame and strength…impossible to separate from the puck and consistently is successful winning pucks and generating scoring chances through his hard work…moves the puck well with good vision and passing skill…a strong net-front presence… has decent speed for his size, though he could improve his quickness…plays hard on defense; forces plays and takes away angles…uses his size to play physical, including laying some devastating hits…is a moose along the wall down low…tremendous potential going forward. (August 2014)

Scouting Report-- Lawson Crouse .

Well if it's Crouse you want he should be there at say #7 or #8. No need to move assets to get him you'd only move assets say to move up to #3 to get Hanifin...which i'm not sure of.

Now if it's is say Brayden and Luke and the late Tampa pick to move up to #3 i'd do that just not sure another team would.

Archived