Flyers Officially Eliminated

hf101

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello:

I think this was expected by most of us on the board. Sadly, for a number of reasons, I don't next year will be much different,  

Now we can focus on cleansing de or re-rostering.  We have a functioning goalie and a handful of top-tier forwards. After that, it is anybody's guess what happens with this crew.  

The discussion here will be more intelligent than most of the Inquirer stuff.  I'd almost like to write Hexy to become a regular poster--he might learn more from us than his professional staff.  

Best,

Howie

Hello:

I think this was expected by most of us on the board. Sadly, for a number of reasons, I don't next year will be much different,  

Now we can focus on cleansing de or re-rostering.  We have a functioning goalie and a handful of top-tier forwards. After that, it is anybody's guess what happens with this crew.  

The discussion here will be more intelligent than most of the Inquirer stuff.  I'd almost like to write Hexy to become a regular poster--he might learn more from us than his professional staff.  

Best,

Howie

Hey Howie,

That might not be a bad idea. I think most Flyers fans realized going into this season that Holmgren had set this team back and screwed Hextall with the cap situation. It looks like Hextall is trying to rebuild the farm system while trying to find ways to get cap space. His first of business is finding a new head coach and it wouldn't surprise me to see him go after John Stevens since they have history together in LA plus Stevens coached in Philly before. Next is finding a way to get rid of Vinny and RJ.

Hey Howie,

That might not be a bad idea. I think most Flyers fans realized going into this season that Holmgren had set this team back and screwed Hextall with the cap situation. It looks like Hextall is trying to rebuild the farm system while trying to find ways to get cap space. His first of business is finding a new head coach and it wouldn't surprise me to see him go after John Stevens since they have history together in LA plus Stevens coached in Philly before. Next is finding a way to get rid of Vinny and RJ.

Lindbergh:

Good to hear from you. I was thinking yesterday that quite a few of us are 3-year vets after the migration from Philly.com.  Gosh, that place was a disaster.

Stevens came up in a thread yesterday. I wouldn't mind his reappointment. He is developmental and would probably be in a better position than after Hitchcock's firing. He would probably be good with the youngins given his experience with the Phantoms. 

Time will tell.

Howie

@Claude Monet@Howie58

Apparently Stevens was promoted last summer to Associate Coach as the Kings wanted to keep their coaching staff.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/522574

I couldn't find anything on the length of that contract.

Thanks...interesting he coaches the defense. We could use some of that...

Howie

First, I'm glad they're officially eliminated.  Maybe now the reality-deniers can get their heads out of their [shopping carts] and dispense with the "not mathematically out of it"/"they still have a chance" crap.

Second, can we PLEASE stop talking about John Stevens?  Seriously, let's get rid of one flipping moron and bring in another!  Jesus Christ, I had to put up with a couple seasons of him already.  

HE IS NOT AN NHL HOCKEY COACH!  JUST FLIPPING STOP ALREADY!

I swear to God I'll go find another team if another Flyers' GM has an aneurysm and hires this guy.  Stop talking to me about his winning percentage.  BERUBE has a good winning percentage.  This is the NHL.  You get a positive winning percentage as a door prize.  As horrible as this season has been, the FLYERS have a winning record.  God!  

I lived through the first time.  We all did.  What is with everyone's memory?  And don't give me this crap about how he went to Los Angeles.  *I'VE* been to Los Angeles.  I cannot coach the Flyers.  In all seriousness, he did NOTHING out there to indicate he's any better than a sock puppet.  Nothing.  Nadda.  Not a damn thing.  Zilch.  Zip.  Nothing.

Get off Stevens already and let's get a god damned NHL hockey coach!

@ruxpin

While I'd prefer one of the elite that are either leaving or getting let go, I'll also say its possible Stevens has learned a thing or two since  he left Philly. He did always have a good relationship with his players, which is valuable in todays spoiled brat pro athlete world. And they have won 2 cups in 3 years.

I've heard more than one person who knows more about hockey than me call him a smart hockey man. Even if it was only two.

@ruxpin

While I'd prefer one of the elite that are either leaving or getting let go, I'll also say its possible Stevens has learned a thing or two since he left Philly. He did always have a good relationship with his players, which is valuable in todays spoiled brat pro athlete world. And they have won 2 cups in 3 years.

I've heard more than one person who knows more about hockey than me call him a smart hockey man. Even if it was only two.

I've visited Yale. I do not have a Yale education.

Enough with smart hockey guys. We are about to fire the smartest hockey guy Paul Holmgren knows. I want a guy who has the foggiest idea how to coach.

Stevens is a decent lieutenant. He's not a general. Please don't put him in that role again. I swear to God I start the countdown to the obviously and painfully inevitable before the ink even dries on his contact if they hire him.

If that's the plan they shouldn't even bother firing Berube.

@ruxpin

Again, I'm not in the "hire Stevens" corner. But coaches are no different than players. Some develop and some don't. I'm just saying its possible a guy Stevens age could have learned a few things since leaving the Flyers. I mean just the fact he lost Homer as his gm likely raised his hockey IQ ten points.

Sorry boys. Tough season.

Thanks Pol. Sadly, I'm not convinced next year will be a whole lot better. Even if our defense gets better (which right now, it looks like it won't), there's a pretty big offensive void in the middle six forwards. I love Simmonds, but half his points (25) are on the PP with G, Jake, and Streit feeding him the puck for garbage and doorstep goals. He needs better linemates 5 on 5 to make things happen. Simmonds won't do that on his own.

THe rest of the crew, I'm not sure. Schenn, 39 points. Couturier, 30 points. Any way you slice it, those are very disappointing numbers for young players who were expected to take a step forward. At least Couturier does something valuable for the team. Schenn is mostly useless if he's not contributing offensively.

I'm just saying its possible a guy Stevens age could have learned a few things since leaving the Flyers.

In the way that it was possible just last week that the Flyers could still make the playoffs because they "weren't mathematically eliminated."

THe rest of the crew, I'm not sure. Schenn, 39 points. Couturier, 30 points. Any way you slice it, those are very disappointing numbers for young players who were expected to take a step forward. At least Couturier does something valuable for the team. Schenn is mostly useless if he's not contributing offensively

This won't be popular, but I'm willing to blame nearly everyone stepping back on Berube.   The thing that sucks about that logic is that I probably have to give Berube some credit for Voracek.

I'm not going to.

On a related story, Ottawa police have begun issuing Kevlar butt protectors to their male police officers.  :ph34r:

But really, its sad to see the Flyers not in the playoffs.  A series between the Flyers and the Pens in the playoffs is something that grows the game of hockey.  Tough year for you guys, I did not expect it with the way that Giroux and Voracek have put up numbers.  Changes coming that will hopefully make the team a contender again next year.

In the way that it was possible just last week that the Flyers could still make the playoffs because they "weren't mathematically eliminated."

Stevens is in charge of LAs defence and PK. I'd say he's doing a heck of a lot better job at developing those than the Flyers are of making the playoffs. The Kings made him an "associate coach" because they didn't want to lose him. Sutter said he was good enough to coach LA. I agree he wasn't ready when he was here in Philly. There was a time when every head coach wasn't ready. I'm not sure if he is yet either, but someones going to give him a chance in the next year or two I believe.

@nossagog

They are fun series to watch....though they really aren't what you'd call textbook hockey. 

Now can you guys just do us a favor and win a game in your own fracking arena on Wednesday?

What? And help you guys get a better draft pick?

Archived