The Top 10 Scorers of All Time

ScottM

nhl-awards-presentation_medium.jpg

This is one of those lists that is purely subjective, and I have no doubt that there will be some disagreements with my list -- probably some big ones. The stats I give will combine NHL and WHA goal and game numbers. I tried to take the fact that the WHA was somewhat weaker into account, but at the same time, it didn't seem right to ignore it entirely. That said, on to the countdown!

#10 Gordie Howe

975 goals in 2,186 NHL and WHA games. 0.45 GPG

Mr. Hockey was in large part a playmaker, but 801 NHL goals and nearly 1,000 combined goals can't be ignored. He reached double digits in goals a ridiculous 31 times in major league play. He led the NHL in goals 5 times, and had a rivalry with Maurice Richard in the 1950's.

#9 Brett Hull

741 goals in 1,269 NHL games. 0.58 GPG

Like father, like son. The Golden Brett is one of only three NHLer's to score 80+ goals in a single season and is third on the leagues all-time goals list. I can't put him any higher on the list for one reason. Take away Adam Oates and a 70-80 goal scorer becomes a 50 goal guy. He's still impressive though.

#8 Wayne Gretzky

940 goals in 1,567 NHL and WHA games. 0.60 GPG

I know I'll probably take some heat for putting Gretzky this low on this list. Yes, he's the NHL's all-time leading goal scorer, but, believe it or not, several players have higher goals per game averages. Plus, Gretzky was far and away a playmaker more than a goal scorer. That said, if not for a back injury, he may be much higher. Still, the Great One cannot be ignored.

#7 Bobby Hull

913 goals in 1,474 NHL and WHA games. 0.62 GPG

The Golden Jet was the face of the NHL in the 1960's He was the first player in NHL history to score over 50 goals in a season and held the single-season record until Phil Esposito came along. He, Howe, and Gretzky are the only players to amass a combined 900+ goals.

#6 Pavel Bure

437 goals in 702 NHL games. 0.62 GPG

The Russian Rocket earned his comparison to "Rocket" Richard. Despite the brevity of his career, Bure led the NHL in goals three times and had seasons of 60, 60, 59, and 58 goals. In Soviet Russia, goal scores you!

#5 Alex Ovechkin

422 goals in 679 NHL games. 0.62 GPG (through the end of the 2013-14 season)

Too early? Maybe. I don't think so though. What Ovie has done in this low-scoring era is impressive. In the 2007-2008 season, he became the first player in 12 seasons to reach 60 goals. He didn't just reach it though, he smashed it, tallying 65 for the campaign.

#4 Phil Esposito

717 goals in 1,281 NHL games. 0.56 GPG

Remember that Bobby Hull record of 58 goals in a season? Yeah, well Esposito smashed it in 1970-71, lighting the lamp 76 times. Phil gave the NHL its first four 60+ goal seasons. He's a big reason for Boston's sucess in the 70's.

#3 Mario Lemieux

690 goals in 915 NHL games. 0.75 GPG

Super Mario has the second highest GPG average in the modern era. Like Gretzky, it's hard not to wonder what he would have accomplished if not for his cancer. Unlike Gretzky who simply saw his goal scoring greatly diminished, Lemieux was knocked out of the game for a while. Given that, those 690 goals are even more impressive than they appear at first glance,

#2 Mike Bossy

573 goals in 752 NHL games. 0.76 GPG

Injuries were the only thing that could stop Mike Bossy. He's tied with Wayne Gretzky for the most career 50 goal seasons (9) and 60 goal seasons (5), but he did it in a 10 year career. Who knows where his numbers would be if he hadn't been sidelined in his prime.

#1 Maurice Richard

544 goals in 978 NHL games. 0.56 GPG

Who else? They named the trophy after the guy. Richard was the first to score 50 goals in a season, doing it in a 50 game season, and was the first to score 500 goals in a career. Goals weren't as easy to come by back then as they were in the high-octane 1980's either. When looking purely at goal scoring ability, it will be hard to knock the Rocket off of his pedestal.

This list is SOOOOO MISLEADING.  Do you honestly believe that Ovetchkin, Bure or Hull were even half as good as the "great one"?  No way.  I saw him play.  I saw them all play.  The guys at number 3 and 8 could be argued as  the best two ever but I do not think you can label someone as the best.  Bobby Orr and Gilbert Perrault are not on this list but they are two of the greatest players to ever play the game.  Period.  Many others belong on the list, pure numbers mean nothing.  Some played far more games.  Mike Bossy?  Great great player.  But I question the accuracy of this because of his shortened career.. Oh, I just read your list is subjective and is not a true statistical list?  Ok.  That makes more sense.  So you think Bossy is the second best player of all time?  Better than Wayne or Mario or even Perrault or Orr?  Hell no.  

The list looks at the players as pure goal-scorers and nothing else. Sheer statistics play no role in this whatsoever. This is by no means a list of the top 10 players overall. On that list, I'd have Orr at #1. For much of his career, Gretzky was not a top goal scorer. Orr however was a playmaker and not a pure scorer.

I would agree but its hard to seperate Orra and Mario and Wayne and Howe.  Saw them all.  All great.  As for playmakers, Perrault is one my top five easily

The four you mentioned are my top 4. That list will come at some point. A playmakers list will too.

This is one of those lists that is purely subjective, and I have no doubt that there will be some disagreements with my list -- probably some big ones. The stats I give will combine NHL and WHA goal and game numbers. I tried to take the fact that the WHA was somewhat weaker into account, but at the same time, it didn't seem right to ignore it entirely. That said, on to the countdown!

#10 Gordie Howe

Mr. Hockey was in large part a playmaker, but 801 NHL goals and nearly 1,000 combined goals can't be ignored. He reached double digits in goals a ridiculous 31 times in major league play. He led the NHL in goals 5 times, and had a rivalry with Maurice Richard in the 1950's.

#9 Brett Hull

Like father, like son. The Golden Brett is one of only three NHLer's to score 80+ goals in a single season and is third on the leagues all-time goals list. I can't put him any higher on the list for one reason. Take away Adam Oates and a 70-80 goal scorer becomes a 50 goal guy. He's still impressive though.

#8 Wayne Gretzky

I know I'll probably take some heat for putting Gretzky this low on this list. Yes, he's the NHL's all-time leading goal scorer, but, believe it or not, several players have higher goals per game averages. Plus, Gretzky was far and away a playmaker more than a goal scorer. That said, if not for a back injury, he may be much higher. Still, the Great One cannot be ignored.

#7 Bobby Hull

The Golden Jet was the face of the NHL in the 1960's He was the first player in NHL history to score over 50 goals in a season and held the single-season record until Phil Esposito came along. He, Howe, and Gretzky are the only players to amass a combined 900+ goals.

#6 Pavel Bure

The Russian Rocket earned his comparison to "Rocket" Richard. Despite the brevity of his career, Bure led the NHL in goals three times and had seasons of 60, 60, 59, and 58 goals. In Soviet Russia, goal scores you!

#5 Alex Ovechkin

Too early? Maybe. I don't think so though. What Ovie has done in this low-scoring era is impressive. In the 2007-2008 season, he became the first player in 12 seasons to reach 60 goals. He didn't just reach it though, he smashed it, tallying 65 for the campaign.

#4 Phil Esposito

Remember that Bobby Hull record of 58 goals in a season? Yeah, well Esposito smashed it in 1970-71, lighting the lamp 76 times. Phil gave the NHL its first four 60+ goal seasons. He's a big reason for Boston's sucess in the 70's.

#3 Mario Lemieux

Super Mario has the second highest GPG average in the modern era. Like Gretzky, it's hard not to wonder what he would have accomplished if not for his cancer. Unlike Gretzky who simply saw his goal scoring greatly diminished, Lemieux was knocked out of the game for a while. Given that, those 690 goals are even more impressive than they appear at first glance,

#2 Mike Bossy

Injuries were the only thing that could stop Mike Bossy. He's tied with Wayne Gretzky for the most career 50 goal seasons (9) and 60 goal seasons (5), but he did it in a 10 year career. Who knows where his numbers would be if he hadn't been sidelined in his prime.

#1 Maurice Richard

Who else? They named the trophy after the guy. Richard was the first to score 50 goals in a season, doing it in a 50 game season, and was the first to score 500 goals in a career. Goals weren't as easy to come by back then as they were in the high-octane 1980's either. When looking purely at goal scoring ability, it will be hard to knock the Rocket off of his pedestal.

Wasn't that during World war 2? Half the league was gone to fight with shrubs unfit for service replacing them?

Wasn't that during World war 2? Half the league was gone to fight with shrubs unfit for service replacing them?

It was at the end of the war -- the 1944-45 season -- but Richard, who was only 23 at the time completely dominated that season. The second place scorer that year had only 32 goals. Even in the lean years of WW2, no one else even came close to putting themselves that far ahead of the pack.

It was at the end of the war -- the 1944-45 season -- but Richard, who was only 23 at the time completely dominated that season. The second place scorer that year had only 32 goals. Even in the lean years of WW2, no one else even came close to putting themselves that far ahead of the pack.

That's cause most of the skilled guys were away at war ;p

#10 Gordie Howe

#9 Brett Hull

#8 Wayne Gretzky

#7 Bobby Hull

#6 Pavel Bure

#5 Alex Ovechkin

#4 Phil Esposito

#3 Mario Lemieux

#2 Mike Bossy

#1 Maurice Richard

I dont think its fair to punish Brett Hull for having Oates, because you can say the same thing for most players on this list.

Bossy had Trottier, Ovechkin has Backstrom, Esposito had Orr, Bobby Hull had Mikita.

I know Esposito proved himself winning his first art ross when Orr was not even a ppg player, but even then. Esposito had 49 goals that season, and then with a prime Orr had 76, gg and 68 respectively. Esposito was still a great player with or without Orr(Summit series) yet it is fairly questionable if Esposito even reaches the 70 goal mark without a prime Orr.

Ovechkin had his one rookie season without Backstrom, but im sure they both have improved each others play.

Hull never in his prime proved himself without Mikita. ALthough i have heard they played in different lines most of the time.

And Bossy and Trottier were butt buddies, so there's that.

Gretzky had Kurri, Lemieux had Rob brown  :ph34r:

I dont think its fair to punish Brett Hull for having Oates, because you can say the same thing for most players on this list.

That's true, and as I said, Hull was impressive anyway. If he weren't, he wouldn't be on the list. My comment was more intended to mean that if his numbers had stayed higher after being separated from Oates, he would have been higher on the list. I just couldn't put him much higher because there was such a sharp dropoff. The others would drop off without the teammates you mentioned, I just don't imagine it would have been as steep.

Gretzky had Kurri

Kurri almost made the list too. Those two had each other. Add the toughness and defense of the "Grate One," and that was an impressive line.

That's true, and as I said, Hull was impressive anyway. If he weren't, he wouldn't be on the list. My comment was more intended to mean that if his numbers had stayed higher after being separated from Oates, he would have been higher on the list. I just couldn't put him much higher because there was such a sharp dropoff. The others would drop off without the teammates you mentioned, I just don't imagine it would have been as steep.

Kurri almost made the list too. Those two had each other. Add the toughness and defense of the "Grate One," and that was an impressive line.

It is also important to note that Hull outscored Oates in those 3 years everytime.

Brett Hull

gp  g   a   p

80 72 41 113

78 86 45 131

73 70 39 101

231  228  125  353

Adam Oates

gp  g   a   p

80 23 79 102

61 25 90 115

80 20 79  99

221  68  248  316

Hull outscored Oates by 37 points in 10 more games, based on these stats, i think its safe to say Hull was the better player during their time together.

Im not saying Oates didnt help at all though...

The thing is, we didnt really get to see Mike Bossy play without Trottier, By the time Esposito played without Orr, he was past his prime, same thing with Hull and Mikita.

BTW, where is Kessel?

:ph34r:

It is also important to note that Hull outscored Oates in those 3 years everytime.

Hull outscored Oates by 37 points in 10 more games, based on these stats, i think its safe to say Hull was the better player during their time together.

Im not saying Oates didnt help at all though...

I tend to agree that Hull was the better player, personally, but whoever was better, Hull was the scorer, and Oates was the playmaker. Hull himself said that he wasn't the same without Oates. Again, I'm not knocking Hull as a scorer at all. If I was, I would have left him off the list. The reason he's there is that I think he belongs there with or without Oates. If anything, the decline in goals that Hull had after he no longer had Oates to set him up is a testimony to the ability that Oates had.

I tend to agree that Hull was the better player, personally, but whoever was better, Hull was the scorer, and Oates was the playmaker. Hull himself said that he wasn't the same without Oates. Again, I'm not knocking Hull as a scorer at all. If I was, I would have left him off the list. The reason he's there is that I think he belongs there with or without Oates. If anything, the decline in goals that Hull had after he no longer had Oates to set him up is a testimony to the ability that Oates had.

Fair enough.

Also, how about Teemu Selanne and Jaromir Jagr?

I know Jaromir Jagr never led the league in goals. However, he had the consistency of Mike Gartner ( bothh have the most 30 goal seasons, 15 season to be exact) and Jagr had his prime in the dead puck era while Gartner had his prime in the 80s...IMO thats pretty darn impressive when you take into consideration that Jagr was primarily a playmaker.

And Teemu Selanne still has the greatets rookie season of all time, who did he have? Phil Housley?

Winning the rocket richard three times, only once officially, if i where to put one finnish player in, it wouldnt be Kurri.

Fair enough.

Also, how about Teemu Selanne and Jaromir Jagr?

I know Jaromir Jagr never led the league in goals. However, he had the consistency of Mike Gartner ( bothh have the most 30 goal seasons, 15 season to be exact) and Jagr had his prime in the dead puck era while Gartner had his prime in the 80s...IMO thats pretty darn impressive when you take into consideration that Jagr was primarily a playmaker.

And Teemu Selanne still has the greatets rookie season of all time, who did he have? Phil Housley?

Winning the rocket richard three times, only once officially, if i where to put one finnish player in, it wouldnt be Kurri.

I considered Selanne too, but his biggest problem was that he never again came anywhere near the 76 goals of his rookie year. In fact, he only ever reached 50 on two other occasions. It would be very close, but i'd probably put Kurri ever so slightly ahead of Selanne. Kurri had four fifty goal seasons to Selanne's three and broke the 60 goal barrier twice. Kurri has an ever so slightly larger GPG average too, 0.48 to 0.47. It's splitting hairs, I know, but you can't make a list like this without splitting some hairs. I don't have any gripe with you putting Selanne as the top Finn, though. I don't think there's a definitive answer between the two of them; they're pretty evenly matched.

As for Jagr, to some degree, his career goal total is a testimony to his longevity. I know that's true of Howe too, but Howe also led the league in goals five times. Jagr has had three fifty goal seasons, but he's never put up eye-popping numbers of goals year in and year out. What he has done, however, is lead the league in assists four times, and break the 100 assist mark five times. He would be much more at home on a list of playmakers than a list of pure goalscorers. 

I considered Selanne too, but his biggest problem was that he never again came anywhere near the 76 goals of his rookie year. In fact, he only ever reached 50 on two other occasions. It would be very close, but i'd probably put Kurri ever so slightly ahead of Selanne. Kurri had four fifty goal seasons to Selanne's three and broke the 60 goal barrier twice. Kurri has an ever so slightly larger GPG average too, 0.48 to 0.47. It's splitting hairs, I know, but you can't make a list like this without splitting some hairs. I don't have any gripe with you putting Selanne as the top Finn, though. I don't think there's a definitive answer between the two of them; they're pretty evenly matched.

As for Jagr, to some degree, his career goal total is a testimony to his longevity. I know that's true of Howe too, but Howe also led the league in goals five times. Jagr has had three fifty goal seasons, but he's never put up eye-popping numbers of goals year in and year out. What he has done, however, is lead the league in assists four times, and break the 100 assist mark five times. He would be much more at home on a list of playmakers than a list of pure goalscorers. 

I agree with what you said about Jagr.

You have to take into consideration that Kurri had the greatest hockey IQ beside him while having his prime in the high scoring 80s.

Selanne had his prime in the dead puck era.  

Also, Selanne played like 200 more games than Kurri...so lets make this a bit more fair...

in 1251 games, Kurri had a gpg of 0.48 playing with the greatest hocke mind of all time and playing in the highest scoring decade of all time...

While in 1259 games, Selanne had a ppg of 1.50 while spending his prime in the dead puck era and then this generation...

For goalscoring? Selanne over Kurri no doubt.

I agree with what you said about Jagr.

You have to take into consideration that Kurri had the greatest hockey IQ beside him while having his prime in the high scoring 80s.

Selanne had his prime in the dead puck era.  

Also, Selanne played like 200 more games than Kurri...so lets make this a bit more fair...

in 1251 games, Kurri had a gpg of 0.48 playing with the greatest hocke mind of all time and playing in the highest scoring decade of all time...

While in 1259 games, Selanne had a ppg of 1.50 while spending his prime in the dead puck era and then this generation...

For goalscoring? Selanne over Kurri no doubt.

I'll play devil's advocate a little more. Both players had 70+ goal seasons. Props to anyone who does that in any era since only eight players have ever done it. But look at the second best season for each. Kurri's second best season was 68 goals, whereas Selanne's was "only" 54. There's a pretty big difference there. It's oh so close, but I still think Kurri at his peak was a little better scorer than Selanne at his peak. This is probably one of those "agree to disagree" points. That said, there are strong arguments for your points, and I readily acknowledge that. I also give major props to two incredible goal scorers.

I'll play devil's advocate a little more. Both players had 70+ goal seasons. Props to anyone who does that in any era since only eight players have ever done it. But look at the second best season for each. Kurri's second best season was 68 goals, whereas Selanne's was "only" 54. There's a pretty big difference there. It's oh so close, but I still think Kurri at his peak was a little better scorer than Selanne at his peak. This is probably one of those "agree to disagree" points. That said, there are strong arguments for your points, and I readily acknowledge that. I also give major props to two incredible goal scorers.

No scotty, i will do everything i can to convince you otherwise!!!!

Now, lets compare the leage averages from the 80s to the 90s..

Throughout the 80s, the league average for goals was never below 3.50

While the when Teemu started his career, scoring was only ever in the 3.00 range three times...and it was pretty low compared to the 80s.

Then the fact that it stayed around 2.70 during most of his prime

I mean, Kurri was on far better team's, played with Gretzky during his prime for 9 years. And this was when goalie's equipment was not upgraded yet...Surely..that has to convince you, right?

scotty

I don't think we can be friends anymore. Lol

I mean, Kurri was on far better team's, played with Gretzky during his prime for 9 years. And this was when goalie's equipment was not upgraded yet...Surely..that has to convince you, right?

I looked at all of the stats earlier when I made the post. I just think Kurri was slightly better.

I don't think we can be friends anymore. Lol

I looked at all of the stats earlier when I made the post. I just think Kurri was slightly better.

lol, I just think it is fairly obvious Teemu was the better goal scorer..... but agree to disagree :)

If this was better player though....i think i would give the nod to Kurri, he was actually a really good two way player back in his day.

Bossy had Trottier, Ovechkin has Backstrom, Esposito had Orr, Bobby Hull had Mikita.

I know Esposito proved himself winning his first art ross when Orr was not even a ppg player, but even then. Esposito had 49 goals that season, and then with a prime Orr had 76, gg and 68 respectively. Esposito was still a great player with or without Orr(Summit series) yet it is fairly questionable if Esposito even reaches the 70 goal mark without a prime Orr.

Ovechkin had his one rookie season without Backstrom, but im sure they both have improved each others play.

Hull never in his prime proved himself without Mikita. ALthough i have heard they played in different lines most of the time.

And Bossy and Trottier were butt buddies, so there's that.

Gretzky had Kurri, Lemieux had Rob brown  :ph34r:

One of these names is not like the others lol

I'll give a different look at this, coming from the numbers, to see if we get some different perspectives. Rather than use raw goal stats, I opted for era-adjusted goals, to minimize as much of the distortion as possible, because one thing is for sure: everything above is badly tilted in favor of players who played

* In eras in which more games were played

* In much more offense-friendly environments

* Or who have large holes in their history

I took every player in NHL history that has ever led the league in goal scoring, and compared them in: career adjusted goals, adjusted goals per year, how many times they lead the league, and the percentage of the time they were the league leader in adjusted goals. Everybody is compared to the leader in each category, and a score is generated, based on how many they had.

For example: Gordie Howe is the all-time AG leader, at 925, and gets 100 points. Wayne Gretzky finished with 758 AG (this is down from his raw total, because tons of cheap goals were scored in that era), which is 81.9% as much as Howe, so he gets 81.9 points.

The same thing is done for each player in each remaining category. Additionally, I attempted to account for holes in history, as in the case of Bill Cook. In 1927, Cook came over to the Rangers from Saskatoon in the WCHL, where he had been the league leader in goals two years earlier (playing against greats like Newsy Lalonde, Duke Keats, Frankie Frederickson, etc), and led the NHL in goals 3 times between the ages of 30 and 36. These years alone qualify him as an all-time great goal scorer, but we're completely missing his prime years.

My solution, inelegant  as it may be, is to give players half of these system points generated on a per year basis for each undocumented season, such as the Cook example cited above. More may be fair, less may be fair... Who knows for sure? The big caveat: NO CREDIT IS GIVEN FOR SEASONS MISSED DUE TO INJURY. League wars, again like above, global politics, etc. But not injury.

The list as generated:

1. Bobby Hull - 644 AG, lead the NHL more times than any other player. This is always pretty much completely forgotten when this topic comes up.

2. Phil Esposito - 671 AG, league leader 6 times in 17 years, all in a row. The only player to do this.

3. Wayne Gretzky - 758 AG, led the leauge over 1/4 of the time while he played. His goal scoring ability is given short shrift because of the laser-guided passing.

4. Gordie Howe - 925 AG. *7* different Presidents were in office during his career.

5. Rocket Richard - 653 AG, was NHL leader about 1/3 of the time he played. Is he the most popular man in Quebec's history?

6. Charlie Conacher - 393 AG, led the NHL in goal scoring 5 of 6 years, between 1931 and 1936.

7. Bill Cook - 422 AG, came to the NHL past his prime and still was the best goal scorer of his era.

8. Mario Lemieux - 616 AG, but for the injuries, he would probably have been number 2 or 3.

9. Newsy Lalonde - 170 AG, another guy who was old by the time the NHL decided to take it's bat and ball, and play with Eddie Livingstone anymore. Could very well deserve to rank higher than this.

10. Joe Malone - 189 AG, The Phantom...

I'll round it out to 20:

11. Brett Hull

12. Teemu Selanne

13. Pavel Bure

14. Nels Stewart

15. Mike Bossy

16. Jarome Iginla

17. Babe Dye

18. Peter Bondra

19. Cy Denneny

20. Jean Beliveau

Oh, and... It will be interesting to see what happens with Alex Ovechkin during the decline phase of his career, because he's currently on pace to finish #1 in this.

I'll give a different look at this, coming from the numbers, to see if we get some different perspectives. Rather than use raw goal stats, I opted for era-adjusted goals, to minimize as much of the distortion as possible, because one thing is for sure: everything above is badly tilted in favor of players who played

* In eras in which more games were played

* In much more offense-friendly environments

* Or who have large holes in their history

I took every player in NHL history that has ever led the league in goal scoring, and compared them in: career adjusted goals, adjusted goals per year, how many times they lead the league, and the percentage of the time they were the league leader in adjusted goals. Everybody is compared to the leader in each category, and a score is generated, based on how many they had.

For example: Gordie Howe is the all-time AG leader, at 925, and gets 100 points. Wayne Gretzky finished with 758 AG (this is down from his raw total, because tons of cheap goals were scored in that era), which is 81.9% as much as Howe, so he gets 81.9 points.

The same thing is done for each player in each remaining category. Additionally, I attempted to account for holes in history, as in the case of Bill Cook. In 1927, Cook came over to the Rangers from Saskatoon in the WCHL, where he had been the league leader in goals two years earlier (playing against greats like Newsy Lalonde, Duke Keats, Frankie Frederickson, etc), and led the NHL in goals 3 times between the ages of 30 and 36. These years alone qualify him as an all-time great goal scorer, but we're completely missing his prime years.

My solution, inelegant  as it may be, is to give players half of these system points generated on a per year basis for each undocumented season, such as the Cook example cited above. More may be fair, less may be fair... Who knows for sure? The big caveat: NO CREDIT IS GIVEN FOR SEASONS MISSED DUE TO INJURY. League wars, again like above, global politics, etc. But not injury.

The list as generated:

1. Bobby Hull - 644 AG, lead the NHL more times than any other player. This is always pretty much completely forgotten when this topic comes up.

2. Phil Esposito - 671 AG, league leader 6 times in 17 years, all in a row. The only player to do this.

3. Wayne Gretzky - 758 AG, led the leauge over 1/4 of the time while he played. His goal scoring ability is given short shrift because of the laser-guided passing.

4. Gordie Howe - 925 AG. *7* different Presidents were in office during his career.

5. Rocket Richard - 653 AG, was NHL leader about 1/3 of the time he played. Is he the most popular man in Quebec's history?

6. Charlie Conacher - 393 AG, led the NHL in goal scoring 5 of 6 years, between 1931 and 1936.

7. Bill Cook - 422 AG, came to the NHL past his prime and still was the best goal scorer of his era.

8. Mario Lemieux - 616 AG, but for the injuries, he would probably have been number 2 or 3.

9. Newsy Lalonde - 170 AG, another guy who was old by the time the NHL decided to take it's bat and ball, and play with Eddie Livingstone anymore. Could very well deserve to rank higher than this.

10. Joe Malone - 189 AG, The Phantom...

I'll round it out to 20:

11. Brett Hull

12. Teemu Selanne

13. Pavel Bure

14. Nels Stewart

15. Mike Bossy

16. Jarome Iginla

17. Babe Dye

18. Peter Bondra

19. Cy Denneny

20. Jean Beliveau

Oh, and... It will be interesting to see what happens with Alex Ovechkin during the decline phase of his career, because he's currently on pace to finish #1 in this.

Interesting approach. I'll be honest with you. I considered Malone, Lalonde, Dye, and Denneny, but it was kind of hard to know how to handle them. IIRC, Malone was the next to last guy I cut, and Conacher was fourth from last.

As for Ovie, I was hesitant to include him since he's still active and theoretically has a lot of time to fall off, but it was hard not to include him. The pace he's on is ridiculous for today's game.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear more about your method.

Bwahahaha!!! Thanks for making me spill my drink this morning!  :D

It is a fascinating top 10 list that the op has created though.

I hope it wasn't Dr Pepper. That stuff is too valuable to spill.

• 1 month later...

Looking back at this, I put Bobby Hull too low. If I did this again, I'd move him up two spots.

I didnt even notice how low he was, i would have definitely given you **** for that....

But in all honesty, he has a pretty decent argument for top 3, or maybe even 1st place.

Just look at how much he had over the next leading scorer.... that alone could put him in an argument for top 3, and not alot of people mention it, but Hull was a very good goalscorer for a very long time, he had longevity that should put him over Bossy in my opinion. As i said, the margins between Hull and the next best goal scorer is also something Bossy does not have, even when removing Gretzky out of the mix. 

@JagerMeister I decided to take a look back at some of my lists to see if I still agreed with them, and when I saw that, I looked at my buddy at work and asked, "What on Earth was I thinking?!" I think putting him right behind Esposito would be proper, considering the seismic shift that the 76 goal season and the string of 60+ goal seasons represented, but 7th?! I must have been sleep deprived to have done something that stupid. Lol

Archived