Draft picks for Hiring Opponent's Coaches under Contract

hf101

8380214-mmmain.jpg

Interesting... Apparently the NHL is bringing back draft pick compensation to teams that hire coaches and GM's currently under contract beginning this off season.

As per Pierre LeBrun:    

If it’s an offseason hire for either a president of hockey operations, a GM or a head coach, it’s a third-round pick that goes the other way for a guy that’s under contract. If it’s an in-season hire, it’s a second-round pick.

For a coach, the season ends as soon as his season ends but for a GM or president of hockey operations, the draft is the cutoff for in-season/offseason

This will mark the first time since 2006 compensation will be used; back then, it was the Senators receiving a conditional draft pick from Boston after the Bruins hired away their assistant GM, Peter Chiarelli.

The re-implementation will likely please Detroit GM Ken Holland. After losing a pair of executives in Jim Nill (to Dallas) and Steve Yzerman (to Tampa Bay) and a series of coaches (Todd McLellan to San Jose, Paul MacLean to Ottawa, Bill Peters to Carolina) Holland wouldn’t allow AHL Grand Rapids head coach Jeff Blashill to interview for other coaching gigs last year, saying he didn’t “want to be a development team for other people.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/31/nhl-bringing-back-draft-pick-compensation-this-offseason-for-hiring-away-coaches-gms/related/

8380214-mmmain.jpg

Interesting... Apparently the NHL is bringing back draft pick compensation to teams that hire coaches and GM's currently under contract beginning this off season.

Strange. I am assuming it is low picks. Does this affect coaches who are under a 3 year contract and are fired the first year? Still technically have to be paid their contract, but are just no longer coaching.

Or is this merely for people who plunder off a teams organizational depth and steal assistant coaches to be head coaches, etc?

@hf101

So i assume if you hire an assistant coach as your head coach there's no compensation?

From reading the whole article I think the the compensation is for all coaches, including assistants.  The rule is to stop poaching teams that develop their own coaches and systems.

The Board of Governors voted on and approved compensation last summer but, as LeBrun notes, the language wasn’t quite “set up” as to how things would work. This will mark the first time since 2006 compensation will be used; back then, it was the Senators receiving a conditional draft pick from Boston after the Bruins hired away their assistant GM, Peter Chiarelli.

@hf101

So i assume if you hire an assistant coach as your head coach there's no compensation?

I would hope that is how it would work.  I believe that is how the NFL does it.  If it is a lateral hire - the team can somehow refuse permission to interview their coach/front office employee....but not if it is a promotion.

I don't like this if it applies to a promotion. Lateral move, fine. But if a guy has earned a shot to move into a higher post, then the league shouldn't make it harder for him to get that shot. This will make for even more recycled coaches, as your good candidates will almost always be under contract - 2nd and 3rd round picks are nothing to sneeze at.

Imagine a blind bidding selection process for the services of Babcock?  Would you pay a 1st round pick....or a 1st + to secure the services of the guy that you think will lead you to the promised land....the guy who can get the very most out of the line-up he is given....tough call.

Archived