If Your Team Is Out of the Playoffs, How Do You Enjoy Your NHL?

16 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Watch Your Playoffs If Your Team Is Out or Didn't Make It?

• Watch as a Pure Spectator
    • Find Another Team to Root For
    • Won't Care. No more NHL for Me Till Next Season

11578672-large.jpg

Just curious...

I asked another poster this and thought it would be interesting to get people's takes on how they treat their NHL Spring if their team either never made the playoffs or is eliminated.

Personally, I first try to find another team to root for (its not that hard to do that for me really...there is ALWAYS a Cinderella or a Villain!).

But in lieu of that, I will watch as a pure spectator...probably not keeping up with the playoffs as closely as if I did have a team in it, but still knowing what's going on.

I can honestly say I NEVER completely shut the NHL down till next season.

As long as hockey is played, I am interested, even if not to the same degree as I would be had I a dog in the fight.

How bout the rest of you?

I just like hockey so its not hard to follow the playoffs even if the Flyers aren't in. Actually, it's a lot less stressful. Plus this year the draft is pretty good, so not making it will still have some light at the end of the tunnel.

I just like hockey so its not hard to follow the playoffs even if the Flyers aren't in. Actually, it's a lot less stressful. Plus this year the draft is pretty good, so not making it will still have some light at the end of the tunnel.

Same. Although sometimes I have other teams I strongly root for because I like their young players and they are exciting.

Provided it is not a team i hate like Toronto, Montreal, Oilers(Oilers in the playoffs? HAHAHA), Kings, Ducks, Stars. Then I will watch just to see them lose.

Same. Although sometimes I have other teams I strongly root for because I like their young players and they are exciting.

Provided it is not a team i hate like Toronto, Montreal, Oilers(Oilers in the playoffs? HAHAHA), Kings, Ducks, Stars. Then I will watch just to see them lose.

You know, I was told some tales that THESE types of things existed at one point....you know, an Oiler in the playoffs....  :ph34r:

In all seriousness though, it is kinda fun to watch some up n comer grow up right before my eyes in a post season run.

Then next season, you can see whether he was a fluke in those playoffs or the real deal.

As an Oilers fan, I speak with some credibility in this area.

You don't enjoy it.

You find yourself hoping that Seattle doesn't get a team, because man..... You'd be tempted to switch.

But you don't.

You just keep watching the games and hoping for a pulse.

This, I found, to be true to a degree.

If one just watches a playoff series, with not really an interest in who actually is winning, but rather just for the competition of it all, it CAN be a relaxing thing.

Being a diehard fan of one's team CAN age you a bit...no doubt..  :P

This, I found, to be true to a degree.

If one just watches a playoff series, with not really an interest in who actually is winning, but rather just for the competition of it all, it CAN be a relaxing thing.

Being a diehard fan of one's team CAN age you a bit...no doubt..  :P

Its waaaay more relaxing when your team isn't in. When Philly is playing in the playoffs, i don't even sleep very good after a tight game. I'm too hyped up or something. And I don't get like that when I play hockey.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Speaking as a Detroit fan, the ground rules were explained to me thus:

Rule Number 1 - Stick with the Six.  Once Detroit has been eliminated, your loyalty lies within the Original Six.  The choice of that team is completely up to your own judgement and can be based on any reasoning but cannot include, if applicable, the Original Six team that actually eliminated Detroit.  

Rule Number 2 - If no Original Six teams remain in contention, you may choose to follow any other team for which you can provide evidence for membership in its fanbase (i.e. I live in New Jersey, so I could conceivably root for the Devils, if I so chose) with the exception of heated/hated rivals of the day (i.e. Colorado 10 years ago, or more recently, Pittsburgh).  The following caveats also apply:

Rule Number 2.1 - If the Stanley Cup is determined not to spend the summer in Hockeytown, it must return home to Canada.

Rule Number 2.2- If the Stanley Cup is determined to spend the summer in the US, then it's baseball season.

The Leafs are never out.

...wait, you mean there's hockey after the season ends? What in the actual heck?

Love the first round, lose interest in the latter half of the second, and watch most of the finals. I usually follow Detroit because I like them, so I guess that's my bandwagon.

Just curious...

Here is what i'm doing hoping for Tampa to lose first round, sorry but I'm thinking about my Flyers 1st round pick from Tampa.

And i'll pulling for the Hawks to get to the finals once again i'm thinking about the Flyer draft picks...after that i don't care....as long as the Rags or Pens don't win it.

So i'm not sure who that would leave to be there in the finals versus the Hawks. I need to look at the seeding and stuff.

Love the first round, lose interest in the latter half of the second, and watch most of the finals.

Same here. I love the first round even if the Flyers aren't in it.

But I've become a Jets fan too - it just happened, I can't explain it - so will be gravely disappointed if they don't make it, in part because they "deserve it." (they'd be in if they weren't in the toughest division in hockey).

Its waaaay more relaxing when your team isn't in. When Philly is playing in the playoffs, i don't even sleep very good after a tight game. I'm too hyped up or something. And I don't get like that when I play hockey.

Way way WAAAAAYYYYYYYY more relaxing.

I find it easier to root for a team than against a team.  

it is more relaxing for me when the flyers are eliminated... they and Penn State are the two teams that i can't seem to watch at arms length.

I think this year i'll follow the Isles I like that Travis Hamonic and the 'Hawks, I like that Brandon Saad... so kind of like joe th0rnton I like find the exciting young players or teams to follow.

I have certain other teams that I pull for when the Senators are out. Otherwise, I might pick an underdog and get behind them. If it gets to a point that I can't stand the surviving teams (2003 for example), I still watch, but I'm a pure spectator at that point.

I enjoy watching and rooting for teams with the least amount of divers on it.....Needless to say I can't ever see myself rooting for a Bruins team that has Brad Marchand playing........

I enjoy watching and rooting for teams with the least amount of divers on it.....Needless to say I can't ever see myself rooting for a Bruins team that has Brad Marchand playing........

I know...don't you just HATE it when puck drops get delayed while they sort out their scuba gear? Ugh...

I have certain other teams that I pull for when the Senators are out. Otherwise, I might pick an underdog and get behind them. If it gets to a point that I can't stand the surviving teams (2003 for example), I still watch, but I'm a pure spectator at that point.

^^

This

Hmmm, not to often can a Flyer fan answer this post....here goes...

1)I *usually* just enjoy the playoffs as a passionate spectator....BUT...there are years when a particular team wins me over with guts and determination. This year in particular, I intend to cheer for the Jets, like that teams make up and with the kids they have coming up, I just know there is some LONG runs coming their way, so it will be fun to watch guys like Trouba etc get their feet wet.

2)I always cheer against certain teams to loose....I never have to worry about the Leafs being in the post season, but if the impossible does happen, their opponent becomes first and foremost as a team to cheer for....

Team I root against whole heartedly...

1)Leafs

2)Habs

3)Pens

4)NYR

I am fortunate enough this year to have two teams, one in each Conference, with a legit shot to win this year, but should either the Wild or Lightning (or both) be eliminated, I wouldn't mind seeing a team like Smashville bring a Cup to the beautiful state of Tennessee.

Of course, there IS the possibility that the Preds and Wild meet in the post season...so would I feel that way if it were the Preds who bounced out the Wild?

Good question...guess will have to wait and see.

But looking at it now, I would be ok with the Preds taking it all.

Over in the Pacific, boy, a Calgary run to the Finals and a win on top of it would be some damned story....I could root for that.

In fact, if Calgary gets in, even whilst I root for Minnesota (unless they meet), I will be rooting Flames this post season!

And BTW, @WingNut722 , just so you see why guys take so long....the sheer variety and decision making.

Just terrible. You'd think they'd have this figured BEFORE the game starts, right?  :cool[1]:

The nerve of these guys!  We're supposed to be professionals here!

Archived