All-Time Toronto Maple Leafs Team

ScottM

toronto_maple_leafs.png

Time for the second installment in the series. Just like the Canadiens post, I expect some controversy here, but I suspect it will likely come for different reasons. One is that much of the squad is from the team's earlier years. However, I think that is to be expected when a team that has 13 Stanley Cups has gone through a 48 season drought. While it's no secret around here that I enjoy cracking jokes about the Leafs, there's no pun intended there. Quite simply, the team's entire glory period was decades ago.

I should also point out that in making these lists, I only consider the player's performance with the team in question. Therefore, a superstar who played for the team at some point in his career but didn't put up his best numbers during that period won't make the list. Terry Sawchuk, for example, played three seasons with Toronto, but was well past his prime and did not post dominant numbers, and thus wasn't considered. All that said, on to the list!

First Line: Frank Mahovlich, Ted Kennedy, Charlie Conacher

Second Line: Bob Pulford, Syl Apps, Babe Dye

Third Line: Busher Jackson, Darryl Sittler, Rick Vavie

Fourth Line: Dick Duff, Mats Sundin, Lanny McDonald

First Defensive Pair: Red Kelly, Borje Salming

Second Defensive Pair: Tim Horton, King Clancy

Third Defensive Pair: Babe Pratt, Hap Day

Goaltenders: Turk Broda, Johnny Bower, Curtis Jospeh

Coach: Punch Imlach

I have no doubt that the omission of Red Horner will cause some stir. I definitely acknowledge that he was a physical force on the ice, and he was the last cut from the defensive corps. The thing that led to his cut is the fact that he was always considered to be behind Clancy and Day (who is on the last pair) and the fact that it's generally thought that his election to the Hall of Fame rested primarily on his status as seven time penalty minute "champion."

Agree? Disagree? Who else would you have put on the team?

Again, IMHO hard to downright impossible to rate the pre War players against the post war era, statistical evidence is simply too difficult to adjust for things such as level of competition and the like.

I would have had Keon in there somewhere, ANYWHERE. No matter the era he absolutely was among the top 12 forwards in team history.

Red Kelly spent half of his long hall of fame career on the Toronto blue line after the first half as a hall of fame center for the Wings, I would have went Horton first team due to length of career at position/time with team but that might simply be splitting hairs. George Armstrong is first in all time games played in Leafs history and 5th in scoring, he would have absolutely cracked my top 12 forwards along with Keon.

Maybe the worst goalies of any storied franchise, the Turk and Bower are really about it, I probably would have taken Potvin over Cujo because I never really identified Cujo as a Leaf, more of a vagabond whereas Potvin spent a much larger portion of his career wearing the Blue and White.

The amount of old timers on this list says it all to the ineptitude within this organization over the past forty years.

Another great write up, keep them coming!

toronto_maple_leafs.png

Time for the second installment in the series. Just like the Canadiens post, I expect some controversy here, but I suspect it will likely come for different reasons. One is that much of the squad is from the team's earlier years. However, I think that is to be expected when a team that has 13 Stanley Cups has gone through a 48 season drought. While it's no secret around here that I enjoy cracking jokes about the Leafs, there's no pun intended there. Quite simply, the team's entire glory period was decades ago.

I should also point out that in making these lists, I only consider the player's performance with the team in question. Therefore, a superstar who played for the team at some point in his career but didn't put up his best numbers during that period won't make the list. Terry Sawchuk, for example, played three seasons with Toronto, but was well past his prime and did not post dominant numbers, and thus wasn't considered. All that said, on to the list!

First Line: Frank Mahovlich, Ted Kennedy, Charlie Conacher

Second Line: Bob Pulford, Syl Apps, Babe Dye

Third Line: Busher Jackson, Darryl Sittler, Rick Vavie

Fourth Line: Dick Duff, Mats Sundin, Lanny McDonald

First Defensive Pair: Red Kelly, Borje Salming

Second Defensive Pair: Tim Horton, King Clancy

Third Defensive Pair: Babe Pratt, Hap Day

Goaltenders: Turk Broda, Johnny Bower, Curtis Jospeh

Coach: Punch Imlach

I have no doubt that the omission of Red Horner will cause some stir. I definitely acknowledge that he was a physical force on the ice, and he was the last cut from the defensive corps. The thing that led to his cut is the fact that he was always considered to be behind Clancy and Day (who is on the last pair) and the fact that it's generally thought that his election to the Hall of Fame rested primarily on his status as seven time penalty minute "champion."

Agree? Disagree? Who else would you have put on the team?

ROFL!  Agree? I've been a Leafs fan for over 20 years and I don't know who any of these players are. They're just names. All of them (except for Sundin) played before I was even alive!  :rolleyes::lol:

Why don't we do this the proper way and consider your team above to be part of a different franchise (a successful one) that no longer exists. I'd be more interested to see what the best Leafs team of my lifetime looks like. So, let's say starting from 1980 and moving forward to today, do the same exercise:

Some players that jump to mind are:

• Gilmour
  • Andreychuk
  • Anderson
  • Sundin
  • Mogilny
  • Roberts
  • Tucker
  • Nieuwendyk
  • Clark
  • Thomas
  • Domi  (gotta have an enforcer right)
  • McCabe
  • Kaberle
  • McCoun
  • Ellett
  • Gill
  • Rouse
  • Joseph
  • Belfour
  • Potvin

:)

Again, IMHO hard to downright impossible to rate the pre War players against the post war era, statistical evidence is simply too difficult to adjust for things such as level of competition and the like.

I would have had Keon in there somewhere, ANYWHERE. No matter the era he absolutely was among the top 12 forwards in team history.

Red Kelly spent half of his long hall of fame career on the Toronto blue line after the first half as a hall of fame center for the Wings, I would have went Horton first team due to length of career at position/time with team but that might simply be splitting hairs. George Armstrong is first in all time games played in Leafs history and 5th in scoring, he would have absolutely cracked my top 12 forwards along with Keon.

Maybe the worst goalies of any storied franchise, the Turk and Bower are really about it, I probably would have taken Potvin over Cujo because I never really identified Cujo as a Leaf, more of a vagabond whereas Potvin spent a much larger portion of his career wearing the Blue and White.

The amount of old timers on this list says it all to the ineptitude within this organization over the past forty years.

Another great write up, keep them coming!

Potvin vs. Cujo was a very close call. Keon and Armstrong should have at least gotten honorable mention in my original post. My bad on not doing that much. The pre/post war split probably got us on that. And again, I very much understand your point. Then again, if I don't use those guys, could I get a full team for the Leafs? 48 years... Lol

ROFL!  Agree? I've been a Leafs fan for over 20 years and I don't know who any of these players are. They're just names. All of them (except for Sundin) played before I was even alive!  :rolleyes::lol:

Why don't we do this the proper way and consider your team above to be part of a different franchise (a successful one) that no longer exists. I'd be more interested to see what the best Leafs team of my lifetime looks like. So, let's say starting from 1980 and moving forward to today, do the same exercise:

Some players that jump to mind are:

• Gilmour
  • Andreychuk
  • Anderson
  • Sundin
  • Mogilny
  • Roberts
  • Tucker
  • Nieuwendyk
  • Clark
  • Thomas
  • Domi  (gotta have an enforcer right)
  • McCabe
  • Kaberle
  • McCoun
  • Ellett
  • Gill
  • Rouse
  • Joseph
  • Belfour
  • Potvin

:)

I'm good with anyone doing their list however they want. I understand your point about it feeling like a different franchise too. My intention in doing these is simply to pay homage to some of the great players through history. Who knows, maybe it'll even get some discussion going about some of the more forgotten guys. In doing these, I learn more about a lot of the guys who were little more than a Hall-of-Fame name to me. Hopefully, others will too.

Potvin vs. Cujo was a very close call. Keon and Armstrong should have at least gotten honorable mention in my original post. My bad on not doing that much. The pre/post war split probably got us on that. And again, I very much understand your point. Then again, if I don't use those guys, could I get a full team for the Leafs? 48 years... Lol

I'm good with anyone doing their list however they want. I understand your point about it feeling like a different franchise too. My intention in doing these is simply to pay homage to some of the great players through history. Who knows, maybe it'll even get some discussion going about some of the more forgotten guys. In doing these, I learn more about a lot of the guys who were little more than a Hall-of-Fame name to me. Hopefully, others will too.

Fair enough.  Carry on.  :)

Leaving Kessel out of your all time scorers list and now your all time maple leafs roster is downright unacceptable, inexcusable and unjustifiable.

It is quite obvious that you have not done any amount of research while making your lists. Do your research, Scotty.

:ph34r:

I almost thought you said "Alfred Bester" and immediately thought of Babylon 5

tumblr_ls0b4qNLHl1qdmdtd.jpg

Most well known for Star Trek of course, but this was his ultimate best role in any scifi.

Man, i didnt know Joe Thornton was such a nerd....... :ph34r:

Allan Bester?

Listing Bester without listing Wregget is like salt with no pepper. The worst tandem of all time are just meant to always be together. Man, I made literally thousands of dollars from Leaf fans in those days, Bester and Wregget were an actual cash flow you could count on. I used to make up budgets and include Bester and Wregget as assets....LOL!

Listing Bester without listing Wregget is like salt with no pepper. The worst tandem of all time are just meant to always be together. Man, I made literally thousands of dollars from Leaf fans in those days, Bester and Wregget were an actual cash flow you could count on. I used to make up budgets and include Bester and Wregget as assets....LOL!

Your neighbors didn't like you much, did they? Lol

Leaving Kessel out of your all time scorers list and now your all time maple leafs roster is downright unacceptable, inexcusable and unjustifiable.

It is quite obvious that you have not done any amount of research while making your lists. Do your research, Scotty.

:ph34r:

LOL. Never gets old........  :P

See? Scotty is ignoring me now because he knows im right  ;)

Actually, only two people I've ever known didn't get ignored when calling me Scotty. Lol.

One I had no choice about. I have no idea why I let the other guy go with it. Lol

Actually, only two people I've ever known didn't get ignored when calling me Scotty. Lol.

One I had no choice about. I have no idea why I let the other guy go with it. Lol

I wonder who that "other guy" is....

Why dont you like being called...Scotty?

I wonder who that "other guy" is....

Why dont you like being called...Scotty?

There was a guy that worked with me for a while, and for some reason he always called me Scotty and for reasons that are unknown to me, I just let it go. That fact even became a joke at the store.

Honestly, I don't know why I don't like it. I just never have.

There was a guy that worked with me for a while, and for some reason he always called me Scotty and for reasons that are unknown to me, I just let it go. That fact even became a joke at the store.

Honestly, I don't know why I don't like it. I just never have.

Ok.....

Scott

Archived