Schenn and Coots

King Knut

Really seem to be producing in the last week or so.

I've been noticing that Coots has been on the ice in the thick of things for more goals, but not getting points necessarily.  But lately both he and Schenn have been putting a few things together and pointing points n the board.

Are they figuring things out?  Is the team just saying the hell with it and abandoning Chief's "system"?  What's going on here?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be a few things. Could be no pressure anymore. Could be that Schenn is feeling comfortable on that RW. I think Schenn is better at carrying the puck than Couturier and Simmonds, so that may have something to do with it. Small sample size though, could just be a hot streak.

Could be a few things. Could be no pressure anymore. Could be that Schenn is feeling comfortable on that RW. I think Schenn is better at carrying the puck than Couturier and Simmonds, so that may have something to do with it. Small sample size though, could just be a hot streak.

I don't know.  I'm seeing the same stuff from Coots I've been seeing for a while now, just that he's been on the ice with people and in situations that can finish.

Until proven otherwise, I'm willing to bet it's just one of Schenn's hot streaks that will cool off with the new moon cycle.  Coots is just benefiting from the temporary hot streak of a winger.

@King Knut

i have noticed this since they've been paired together with Read.  That line was pretty dynamic against the Pens and just as soon as i start typing Schenn sucks, well he goes and really plays well , making power moves to the cage, finding linemates.... he's been carrying the puck (as someone else noted ) @AJgoal  and i think that suits him better, he's able to be more creative and in turn create opportunities for his linemates.

Couturier never had a problem seeing the play this past two weeks he's been making them too... too bad they waited until the season was over to start playing like they were expected to.... better late than pregnant i suppose.

i have noticed this since they've been paired together with Read.  

I haven't been watching the Flyers for the past few weeks - is Schenn playing on Couturier's line with Read? Is that only on the PP or ES too?

I've been noticing that Coots has been on the ice in the thick of things for more goals, but not getting points necessarily.  But lately both he and Schenn have been putting a few things together and pointing points n the board.

Are they figuring things out?  Is the team just saying the hell with it and abandoning Chief's "system"?  What's going on here?

How anyone could be unhappy with Schenn or Cooter I just don't know.

They are becoming favorites of mine. They play hard, play with grit, are are stillnot even in their primes yet.  The future is bright, IMO.

They are becoming favorites of mine. They play hard, play with grit, are are stillnot even in their primes yet. The future is bright, IMO.

I tend to agree but people here love to hate on them. Schenn can be vexing has he has been given top 6 minutes and line mates all year, but Coots I think has been pretty impressive handing the Defemsive side as well as he had while producing as much as he has with Umberger and Read (who we now know we're both playing injured all year). I still think Coots and simmer should remain line mates, but it's going okay right now.

Until proven otherwise, I'm willing to bet it's just one of Schenn's hot streaks that will cool off with the new moon cycle. Coots is just benefiting from the temporary hot streak of a winger.

Disagree. coots is doing what he's done all year. Just getting some help finally instead of stone hands and torn abs and sore feet.

Disagree. coots is doing what he's done all year. Just getting some help finally instead of stone hands and torn abs and sore feet.

My post was meant more as a swing at Schenn than Couturier. I agree with your post.

But until proven otherwise I think that help will be short lived because I've seen these brief periods of success from Schenn before only for him to go back to sleep for two months.

Schenn and Coots are likely to be question marks on this team as long as they fail to score 30 goals or achieve 50 point seasons.  We know Coots is good defensively but wonder if there's a sacrifice the team makes given offensive problems. Schenn as some note here has been a slow grower.  

I suspect a part of their problems has been inconsistent teammates. Putting aside injuries---other than the first line, who the heck has grown together or played together for any stretch.  I have a tough time even remembering pairings.  

My gut says that if cap management comes to the fore, Coots is kept over Schenn. Sean's defensive work is impressive, especially in playoffs.  But Schenn shows flashes of Homer's expectations.  If he fetched a high draft pick and/or a good LW I might say bye. 

Howie

They'll both cool off in about a week... :ph34r:

They are becoming favorites of mine. They play hard, play with grit, are are stillnot even in their primes yet.  The future is bright, IMO.

Couturier plays hard, I would agree. And he excels at his role.

Maybe Schenn does too, but there's just something about his game to me that looks like he's going through the motions for long stretches. Could be inexperience. 

Couturier plays hard, I would agree. And he excels at his role.

Maybe Schenn does too, but there's just something about his game to me that looks like he's going through the motions for long stretches. Could be inexperience.

Could be Schenn dogs it for weeks at a time. 76 games of the year I don't see this alleged grit. And you can always count on him when there isn't a damn thing to play for.

Until proven otherwise, I'm willing to bet it's just one of Schenn's hot streaks that will cool off with the new moon cycle.  Coots is just benefiting from the temporary hot streak of a winger.

Couturier n White give-n-go looked like the Sedins in action, one of the best i've seen all year..check out this play:

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=801055

Couturier n White give-n-go looked like the Sedins in action, one of the best i've seen all year..check out this play:

I obviously needed to write my post a little more clearly.  You're the second person (at least) to interpret my post as taking a swing at Coots.  I was firing at Schenn.

I mean, that was a nice play, but Sedins?  Best all year?   It was a goal off the cycle with a blind pass at the end.  It was nice.  It's not an ESPY winner.

Archived