Greatest Coach/GM Who Were Once NHL Players

JagerMeister

I am not saying greatest.  But I will tell you that being a great players does not equal being a great coach as you all know.  Wayne Gretsky is one example though he did not really have a great team to work with.  Lindy Ruff was an average center who in my opinion is a very good coach.  He has proven that.  Al Arbor likely is the top guy.  Or one of them

you would think the smartest player to ever lace them skates up would make a great coach.....

Who is the greatest coach and GM who were once players

Jager, did they have to be a great player who later became a great coach/GM?  

Or just the greatest coach/GM that was once a player?

If it's the latter (and the way I read it initially), was once a player IN the NHL, right?

Jager, did they have to be a great player who later became a great coach/GM?  

Or just the greatest coach/GM that was once a player?

If it's the latter (and the way I read it initially), was once a player IN the NHL, right?

Greatest coach/GM that was once a NHL player(does not have to be a great player), but it also has to be some guy that spent a significant amount of time in his hockey career as an NHL player...not some guy that played just one or a couple of games in the NHL and became a coach...

Greatest coach/GM that was once a NHL player(does not have to be a great player), but it also has to be some guy that spent a significant amount of time in his hockey career as an NHL player...not some guy that played just one or a couple of games in the NHL and became a coach...

Cool.  That's the way I interpreted it to begin with but wanted to make sure I was on the right page.

I have to agree, then, with others' selection of Al Arbour.   I think to go more recent than 30 years ago, I would go with Dave Tippett, I think.

For GM, I think this becomes much harder.   I guess Glen Sather?

Toe Blake and Al Arbour are the first name that come to mind.

Toe Blake was first in my mind too.

Quenneville and Darryl sutter also. Quenneville is climbing the charts into rare territory as far as wins as a coach and has to be considered an elite coach at this point.

GM wise, I think most of these guys are more outside looking in, and former players are too close to the situation to be a great GM. Look at the top names, Lombard, Stan Bowman, non players who know the ins and outs of the game off the ice. Doug Wilson, if the Sharks had won a cup might be considered the best of the current batch who played in the NHL but that is not saying much. Yzerman is doing a Hell of a job in Tampa but it is early in his career. I think we can safely rule out MacTavish. And I am not a fan of Slats although he has his Rangers ready for another deep run so he does deserve props.

Toe Blake was first in my mind too.

Quenneville and Darryl sutter also. Quenneville is climbing the charts into rare territory as far as wins as a coach and has to be considered an elite coach at this point.

GM wise, I think most of these guys are more outside looking in, and former players are too close to the situation to be a great GM. Look at the top names, Lombard, Stan Bowman, non players who know the ins and outs of the game off the ice. Doug Wilson, if the Sharks had won a cup might be considered the best of the current batch who played in the NHL but that is not saying much. Yzerman is doing a Hell of a job in Tampa but it is early in his career. I think we can safely rule out MacTavish. And I am not a fan of Slats although he has his Rangers ready for another deep run so he does deserve props.

Quite a few ex-player GMs - Bobby (Bob) Clarke (not as bad as some people make him out to be), Paul Holmgren (not as bad as some people make him out to be), Hextall (TBD), John Davidson, Garth Snow...

Archived