Poll: who do you want to see miss the playoffs in the East?

yave1964

Who do you want on the outside looking in?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which Eastern conference team do you want to see miss the postseason?

• Bruins
    • Penguins
    • Red Wings
    • Senators

4 teams fighting for 3 spots, the Wings, Senators, Penguins and Bruins. Who do you want to see miss the playoffs among those four?

The Wings and their obnoxious fans who have grown and raised kids with no memory of the Wings missing the postseason? The Bruins and Lucic and Marchand? The Crosby crew? The upstart Senators?

My vote personally goes to the Bruins, since the days of Don Cherry I have detested this team, yes, i love and respect Raymond Bourque and have enjoyed quite a few of their players but I dfo not want them to make the postseason. Chara is among the most overrated players in the game, them missing the postseason would be a blessing.

Easy one for me...the Bruins...for LOTS of reasons.

1--Get that fanbase to pipe down just a bit.....just about every forum I've visited, seems Bruins fans feel they have this high power given RIGHT to be in the playoffs....pfftt...

2--Bruins are a bane to my Tampa Bay Lightning

3--Give Milan Lucic more time to work on his golf game

4--I'd rather see a more exciting team like the Sens get in instead.

I would have voted Pittsburgh too, but fact is, until this end of season swoon, I'd already accepted the fact the Pens SHOULD make the postseason.

Not a given now, but still, I'll take the B's out over the Pens at this point.

Wings?

Well, from a Bolts standpoint, if they get in, there is a good chance they play the Bolts in the 1st round and frankly, I like the way TB matches up with them, despite TB missing key defensemen at the moment.

So yea, Bruins...OUT with you already..... :)

I want to see Ottawa in. I would be ok with any of the other three missing - heck, even the Isles have an outside chance of falling out of the playoffs. But Boston is Boston, Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh and then I wouldn't have to root for either of them to get an upset to help the Flyers draft position. I have no real animosity for Detroit, but I believe Babcock is a FA as soon as his team's season ends, and if he's a guy the Flyers are targeting, I'd like them having an extra week or so to talk to him while any playoff teams that may fire coaches are still playing.

How about this Mark Stone kid....I remember him from a few years ago when he led Team Canada in goal scoring at the WJC with 7. He just looks like a very nice dynamic player who is a natural goal scorer...he's gonna top 40 in a few years....hell, maybe even next year. Another kid I really, really like from the Sens is Pageau....I think he's outright star, one of those guys who just has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time...and the puck just seems to always be around him...and WOW, can he skate. If the Sens don't move Pageau into the top 6 eventually, they will be wasting his immense talent.

If the Sens get in, Pageau might just be one of those guys who throws his team and his back and plays out of his mind. I think he's one of the most underrated guys in the entire league. I smell a star here, I really do.

4 teams fighting for 3 spots, the Wings, Senators, Penguins and Bruins. Who do you want to see miss the playoffs among those four?

The Wings and their obnoxious fans who have grown and raised kids with no memory of the Wings missing the postseason? The Bruins and Lucic and Marchand? The Crosby crew? The upstart Senators?

My vote personally goes to the Bruins, since the days of Don Cherry I have detested this team, yes, i love and respect Raymond Bourque and have enjoyed quite a few of their players but I dfo not want them to make the postseason. Chara is among the most overrated players in the game, them missing the postseason would be a blessing.

Quite frankly, I think the effort level of the sens deserves a playoff spot. Wings I like, but being in easy east might extend their playoff streak. If they missed, at least the sharks would not be the only ones ending a streak. Datz and Zett are getting old and oft injured, otherwise they would still be a strong team. Howard is kinda like Niemi. Just more expensive.

Bruins missing playoffs while in cap hell = good for prospective buyers. They gave Boychuk away and it is biting. Chara is overrated now, but he was elite 2 years ago. Age is badly burning him.

Pens missing would be the most funny. Crosby/malkin in their good years missing is hard to believe. Would be a bigger deal than the wings missing now

How about this Mark Stone kid....I remember him from a few years ago when he led Team Canada in goal scoring at the WJC with 7. He just looks like a very nice dynamic player who is a natural goal scorer...he's gonna top 40 in a few years....hell, maybe even next year. Another kid I really, really like from the Sens is Pageau....I think he's outright star, one of those guys who just has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time...and the puck just seems to always be around him...and WOW, can he skate. If the Sens don't move Pageau into the top 6 eventually, they will be wasting his immense talent.

If the Sens get in, Pageau might just be one of those guys who throws his team and his back and plays out of his mind. I think he's one of the most underrated guys in the entire league. I smell a star here, I really do.

I really like Stone. Some may argue I have this backwards, but I think he's made Turris better.

I really like Stone. Some may argue I have this backwards, but I think he's made Turris better.

He is starting to remind me of Couture. Skating is obviously his weak link, but he is making up for it in smarts. Very good smarts, possibly elite smarts.

He is starting to remind me of Couture. Skating is obviously his weak link, but he is making up for it in smarts. Very good smarts, possibly elite smarts.

Not a bad comparison.

It seems like the same eight teams every year.

I want to see Buffalo, Toronto, Florida, Columbus, New Jersey, and Philadelphia in next year's playoffs.  :D

Teams that I'm sick of already: Pittsburgh, Washington, Detroit, Montreal, and Boston.

It seems like the same eight teams every year.

I want to see Buffalo, Toronto, Florida, Columbus, New Jersey, and Philadelphia in next year's playoffs.  :D

Well, sure, of course, no problem.

As soon as those teams put on their 'big boy' pants and play from game 1 to game 82 like they SHOULD be in the playoffs...then yea, you can see different teams.  ;)

@TropicalFruitGirl26

The comment you made about the Bolts matching up well with the Wings, well, regular season is one thing, postseason another. I know that is not something most Lightning fans are aware of more than once a decade or so :).

I wrote elsewhere in here today talking about potential matchups with the Wings boys, I feel the Lightning are a very good match for us. We have physical d-men who could slow down your elite skilled forwards, Helm, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are all dynamic two way players and with Hedman among others on the blue line beat up, I really think that provided we sort the damn netminding out we could take you. Of course, it could also be a four game sweep for the Bolts because your boys are so ridiculously skilled but experience matters. And the three netminders we might possibly face, Bishop, Price or Lundqvist I would absolutely rather face Bishop until he proves otherwise.

@yave1964

Hmm...well, we each seem to think the other is a good matchup for the other to win....we have a problem...because only ONE of us can be right.  ;)

Aaaannnnnd cue the divisional playoff rivalries! The gloves WILL be coming off if these two meet in a playoff series, my friend.

That said, yes, I will agree that the Wings defense is more physical than the Bolts (even when fully healthy), but honestly, in watching Bolts-Wings games this year, I feel the Wings would RATHER play a skate first type game...using the physicality as needed.

Both sides should be aware the playoffs are a different animal and it will be on the vets on both sides to remind their young players of that fact.

Detroit has many non-tested NHL playoff guys as the Bolts do in the lineup along with their vets, so no real advantage, IMO, in extended playoff battle tested experience there.

The Wings WILL try to slow the Bolts forwards...that is a foregone conclusion...but trying it and actually doing it are two different things.

Wings failed miserably for the most part doing that the first three meetings.....but they did a masterful job of it in the final meeting to win via shut out against TB.

And I credit much of that win to Peter Mrazek who looked like a Vezina candidate that game....covering up for Detroit gaffes in coverage big time.

The Bolts PP, which has admittedly struggled down the stretch and Steven Stamkos himself will be keys on offense.

Both, when right, can absolutely make mincemeat of the Detroit defense...physical or no.

TB will roll out 4 lines, and each of those 4 lines is capable.....Detroit defense, choose who yer gonna cover, because 12 guys all playing right far outnumber your 6 guys on D trying to cover them all! ;)

Ben Bishop.

Yes, the least proven of the three goalies you mentioned in the post season.

Bishop was set to possibly shine last season, but obviously, injury saw to it he didn't.

He is coming into this post season as a relative rookie to the playoff scene so yea, there will be some proving to do.

Oh, but if the Wings go Mrazek, HE will need to prove he has the playoff chops too, eh?

Or you can go Jimmy Howard....which, I suspect, the Bolts offense will salivate over.....

Finally, the Bolts defense IS banged up and currently missing key pieces.

Hedman, Garrison, Coburn, and Sustr.

All 4 of those guys bring something to the table that can't easily be replaced by callup rookies.

Detroit could possibly exploit that with their skilled forwards.

In their place are guys like Luke Witkowski, Slater Koekkoek, Nikita Nesterov, and more ice time to Mark Barberio.

Ironicially, the first three young D-men ARE more physical than the vets they are replacing, though they lack big time in overall skill and experience.....they will simply need to grow up REAL fast if they are called upon for extended minutes.

Victor Hedman and Andrej Sustr may be available for the 1st round....Jason Garrison and Braydon Coburn, unfortunately may have to wait till the 2nd round (assuming there is one for TB) to possibly see a return.

So, I stand by my assertion:

I LIKE the matchup, if it turns out that way, of Detroit against Tampa Bay.

Bring it! :D

I think both sides have been true in this stretch run. Those guys are just perfect linemates for one another. Over the last two months, they seem to have been nearly perfectly in sync with one another.

Yarp. Ottawa controls their own destiny, one point and they're in. Boston needs to win and hope both Pittsburgh and Ottawa lose out. Not terribly likely.

Yarp. Ottawa controls their own destiny, one point and they're in. Boston needs to win and hope both Pittsburgh and Ottawa lose out. Not terribly likely.

Boston needs Ottawa and Pittsburgh to both lose out in regulation. Even less likely. Pittsburgh holds the ROW on Boston.

@AJgoal  Imagine if a playoff tested team like Boston, full of talented vets and young wickedly talented kids like Spooner and Pasternek somehow got a hold of McJesus....WOW....that would not be good for the Eastern Conf.

Archived