Scuderi calls them out... Finally someone speaks up

Polaris922

http://www.hockeyfeed.com/penguins-veteran-calls-out-his-own-team-for-being-soft/

Things are getting very bad in Pittsburgh, and the late season collapse is at the center of a lot of issues.

Today one of the teams veteran players made comments to the media indicating that he believes his team is soft, and that fact has allowed the Penguins to find themselves in their current predicament.

“I think we’ve been a fragile group for the last couple of weeks,” said Rob Scuderi. “This is depressing right now.”

Scuderi is a 10+ year NHL veteran, and the second oldest player on the team, so you can bet that he’s not making these comments lightly, more than likely he’s speaking out because he’s incredibly frustrated.

Just last night the Penguins blew a 3-0 nothing lead in the third period, something that now has Ottawa just 1 point behind them with 2 games left to play for each team. The Penguins will need to toughen up and do it quickly because Ottawa has shown no signs of giving up their shot at a playoff spot without a fight.

http://www.hockeyfeed.com/penguins-veteran-calls-out-his-own-team-for-being-soft/

Things are getting very bad in Pittsburgh, and the late season collapse is at the center of a lot of issues.

Today one of the teams veteran players made comments to the media indicating that he believes his team is soft, and that fact has allowed the Penguins to find themselves in their current predicament.

“I think we’ve been a fragile group for the last couple of weeks,” said Rob Scuderi. “This is depressing right now.”

Scuderi is a 10+ year NHL veteran, and the second oldest player on the team, so you can bet that he’s not making these comments lightly, more than likely he’s speaking out because he’s incredibly frustrated.

Just last night the Penguins blew a 3-0 nothing lead in the third period, something that now has Ottawa just 1 point behind them with 2 games left to play for each team. The Penguins will need to toughen up and do it quickly because Ottawa has shown no signs of giving up their shot at a playoff spot without a fight.

What changes do you think will take place after this season? Assuming the unthinkable happens and they miss the final spot?

"Finally somebody speaks up".....Isn't that Sid's job?  I thought Crosby was supposed to be a leader....why does Scuderi have to do it?

Don't be silly. You know darn well that it is the captian's job to...........oh, wait. Nevermind.......

Has no one told Scuderi that he is supposed to be quiet while they get the coach fired? :unsure[1]:

What changes do you think will take place after this season? Assuming the unthinkable happens and they miss the final spot?

I would assume they'll try to remedy the Kinitz contract. A contract that actually looked decent when signed, maybe a hair high, that quickly spoiled as his capabilities seemingly evaporated. I expect Erhoff gone, unless he takes another $1 mill deal. I expect Martin gone, sadly, unless he takes a big salary cut due to his age. Scuderi probably goes too, IF they can find a way.

Hoping Johnston is gone, Babcock is in. Hoping Rutherford is gone, don't really care who replaces him.

@jammer2

@ruxpin

Crosby is a lead by example player. Much like Lemieux was, and that works great IF you have a veteran guy to say what needs said. The Pens have always used a Roberts or Guerin to fill that role. He does criticize the team occasionally but I think everyone looks to him to be DOING rather than saying. And looking at his numbers this year, he's doing great. His defensive numbers are the best in the league while still winning or tied for the scoring race. And I still say injured.

Don't be silly. You know darn well that it is the captian's job to...........oh, wait. Nevermind.......

Has no one told Scuderi that he is supposed to be quiet while they get the coach fired? :unsure[1]:

How's that working out for Giroux? ;). Two 5 on 5 goals in 43 games? Oh wait... Go Flyers! Beat the Sens!

I think the response by the players to Scuderi will say a lot about the state of that locker room, wouldn't you think? If they rally around his statement, and the leaders lead by example on the ice, that says to management that it's a tight group. And the coach would be a dead man walking.

On the other hand, a non-response by the players might say that there's something not right in the locker room and it's time to swap out some personalities.

@brelic

I think it will say a lot about the secondary players. Crosby has been a beast if late, so he's definitely leading on the ice. If we can make the cut and get Letang back it would make a huge difference. We lose far more without him than with.

But I think Scuderi is respected enough to earn a little faith in his words. Time will tell.

@jammer2

Malkin actually spoke up but no one understood him.

In all seriousness, that's just not Crosby's MO.  The Pens could certainly use that kind of player right now (the Guerin or Gary Roberts).  Looks like Scuderi is trying to fill that role but I don't see that as stepping on Crosby's toes.  Dupuis would fit that niche, too.

How's that working out for Giroux? ;). Two 5 on 5 goals in 43 games? Oh wait... Go Flyers! Beat the Sens!

OK, Post about Scuderi...check...references Pens lockerroom issues.......check...On the Pens forum.....check again.

Now can you tell me what exactly Giroux's even strength scoring has to do with a post about Scuderi speaking out in the pens lockerroom?

Oh wait! I got it!! He was there to "butt" in..... :rolleyes:

OK, Post about Scuderi...check...references Pens lockerroom issues.......check...On the Pens forum.....check again.

Now can you tell me what exactly Giroux's even strength scoring has to do with a post about Scuderi speaking out in the pens lockerroom?

Oh wait! I got it!! He was there to "butt" in..... :rolleyes:

Hahahaaaa! Well played! Just pointing out that different captains use different styles. One isn't necessarily better than another. Giroux doesn't strike me as a big talker either. Maybe I'm wrong but never gets sold that way that I've heard.

Hahahaaaa! Well played! Just pointing out that different captains use different styles. One isn't necessarily better than another. Giroux doesn't strike me as a big talker either. Maybe I'm wrong but never gets sold that way that I've heard.

There have been occasions where Giroux has been the speaker in some of those closed door meetings at least according to some of the other players. Speaking for your team or about your team is one of the duties of the captains. Mike Richards hated the media side of it and left the lockerroom talking to Pronger and Timmonen. I don't see Crosby speaking out or cheering/berating players either but he does appear to put forth a solid effort whenever he is on the ice. That said, just because he is your best player, does not mean he should be the Captain. Sometimes I think he has the "C" just so he can yell at the refs. :o

@flyerrod

By all accounts he's pretty solid in the locker room and nobody can doubt his efforts on the ice, especially in light of his defensive stats. I think he may reel in the emotional criticism of the team because of his place in the NHL spotlight. But the players speak highly if him so I don't know if Scuderi is starting that talk or just helping along the closed doors meeting.

Hummm, I'm not sure how we go from “I think we’ve been a fragile group for the last couple of weeks,”

said Rob Scuderi. “This is depressing right now" to Scuderi calling someone out. Bit of a stretch there.

Now, if he said some on our defense aren't holding up their end, and need to start to put forth a little better, or maybe

ANY, effort, THAT would be calling someone out.

This is much ado about nothing.

@nossagog

I don't see calling your team fragile as nothing. Was it an all out ass-ripping? No... But that's not necessarily productive or his place here. It's a positive in my eyes though.

The first part of solving the problem is admitting you have one ;)

Archived