What is wrong with the Penguins?

yave1964

351364717579_1.jpg The Penguins with two games remaining have yet to clinch a playoff spot, sitting one point ahead of both Boston and Ottawa with 2 games remaining in spite of the relative health of Crosby all year. Why? How is that possible?

First the good, Crosby, as mentioned has remained healthy all year and has 83 points in 75 games tied with Benn and Tavares for the league lead. Patric Hornqvist has performed well 50 points (25 goals) in 62 games as a replacement for James Neal. Malkin, when in the lineup is still a point a game player. Kris Letang has 54 points in 69 games showing off his offensive abilities from the back end.

Brandon Sutter is a solid third line center who plays tough minutes and combines with Spalling to do the underrated things. Downie has been solid, leading the league in PIMs and has 14 goals. Blake Comeau is as underrated and as tough of a customer as the league has, mucking it up in the corners, mowWGjXwA1A9Tz_BjNgM4Zw.jpg And Fleury has 33 wins and a .920 save pct.

Now the bad.

Health, as always in Pittsburgh is a problem, Spalling and Scuderi are the only Pens who will play all 82 games this year, joined by Crosby and Sutter as the only other players who havent missed at least ten games. It is difficult to gel when your lineup is in a constant state of flux.

The power play has been less than good, especially for the talent on this team. It has been ordinary and not exceptional as it should be.

Kunitz seems to have hot the wall, his skill level is eroding. David Perron whom I love and thought his 200 foot game would translate well in Pittsburgh has appeared lost at times. Christian Erhoff who risked it all by turning down bigger money to sign a one year deal has been less than advertised. Dupuis and Maatta, two solid spear carriers missed msot of the year. Beau Bennett has been given chance after chance and has 4 goals in 47 games. In fact none of the kids, Harrington, Farnham, Uher Wilson and Poulliot have shown much of anything. And Fleury belongs on this list as well, he has been inconsistent all year.

Going into next year, if I were Rutherford, I would look at Sutter, Spalling, Comeau and Downie as true assets for the third or fourth lines, with Sid and Geno and Hornqvist and Perron on the top two lines, try to move out Kunitz and bring in a sniper and allow the rebuilt defense to gel, hoping Poulliot takes a nice step forward.

But this year is far from over, the team is still among the most dangerous in the game. I would not want to face them, especially if Letang returns from his concussion for the playoffs. They are a dangerous team, IMHO because they are going to be playing scared, wondering if this is the end of the road for some of the players and the end of the road for them as serious contenders. When a team has their back against the wall and everyone starts counting them out, a lot of times they take on an us against the world mentality and I could see that here. Count them out at your own peril.

@yave1964

Can't disagree with any of that except maybe Pouliot.  He's had the ups and downs that you can  expect from a young defenseman (example - the SH goal that Ottawa scored to make it 3-1) but he's going to be a good one.

@yave1964

Can't disagree with any of that except maybe Pouliot.  He's had the ups and downs that you can  expect from a young defenseman (example - the SH goal that Ottawa scored to make it 3-1) but he's going to be a good one.

To be clear I like Poulliot but he has not done much this year, he has shown signs of his talent but made too many mistakes along the way. till, he should go into the offseason prepared to take a top four spot ini the defense rotation next year. Very talented kid.

Simple... They were overrated to begin with and Rutherford was a mistake.

I don't know how leading the conference till just before the all star game can be overrated to begin with. Two seasons of drastic injury time and some bad personnel moves definitely hurt them.

I'm more concerned about the moves made to strengthen secondary scoring seems to have hurt more than helped.

@Polaris922

For the life of me I do not understand what has happened to Perron, he has always been a favorite of mine going back to his St. Louis days, a two way player who can score, putting up good solid numbers with a wretched Edmonton team, I thought it was a no brainer that he would be a near point a game player with Pittsburgh. It didn't work out.

Lapierre is a body nothing more. Winnick has been good, not great but better than I thought he would be. Lovejoy and Cole have been meh.

So your right, the team went out and made a lot of in season moves but none have been that Butch Goring move that puts them over the top.

@yave1964

I think Johnston has shifted Perron around too much.

Cole has been a pleasant surprise, actually. Quite solid and showing an offensive upside nobody expected.

I think we'll be fine. This adversity will help.

Bylsma did the same thing. I hated it then and I hate it now.  I understand the injury issues but for the love of Mary - set your lines and stick to them when everyone is healthy!!!

Penguins forced to use 5 d-man tonight, Pouliot out vs NYI.  It will be Chorney, Martin, Scuderi, Cole and Lovejoy.

This game does not fair well for the Pens as the Islanders play a similar style as the Flyers against them.  However with Boston playing Tampa they may just still slide into the playoffs.

Penguins forced to use 5 d-man tonight, Pouliot out vs NYI.  It will be Chorney, Martin, Scuderi, Cole and Lovejoy.

This game does not fair well for the Pens as the Islanders play a similar style as the Flyers against them.  However with Boston playing Tampa they may just still slide into the playoffs.

Whoa! That's one  grim-looking D lineup there. Interesting scenarios: you know Ottawa is gonna beat the Flyers. So I'm saying they are in. So if Boston wins their last game and the Pens only get one point in their last two (possible given their skid), they are tied, including tied fro ROW. So who gets in?

351364717579_1.jpg The Penguins with two games remaining have yet to clinch a playoff spot, sitting one point ahead of both Boston and Ottawa with 2 games remaining in spite of the relative health of Crosby all year. Why? How is that possible?

First the good, Crosby, as mentioned has remained healthy all year and has 83 points in 75 games tied with Benn and Tavares for the league lead. Patric Hornqvist has performed well 50 points (25 goals) in 62 games as a replacement for James Neal. Malkin, when in the lineup is still a point a game player. Kris Letang has 54 points in 69 games showing off his offensive abilities from the back end.

Brandon Sutter is a solid third line center who plays tough minutes and combines with Spalling to do the underrated things. Downie has been solid, leading the league in PIMs and has 14 goals. Blake Comeau is as underrated and as tough of a customer as the league has, mucking it up in the corners, mowWGjXwA1A9Tz_BjNgM4Zw.jpg And Fleury has 33 wins and a .920 save pct.

Now the bad.

Health, as always in Pittsburgh is a problem, Spalling and Scuderi are the only Pens who will play all 82 games this year, joined by Crosby and Sutter as the only other players who havent missed at least ten games. It is difficult to gel when your lineup is in a constant state of flux.

The power play has been less than good, especially for the talent on this team. It has been ordinary and not exceptional as it should be.

Kunitz seems to have hot the wall, his skill level is eroding. David Perron whom I love and thought his 200 foot game would translate well in Pittsburgh has appeared lost at times. Christian Erhoff who risked it all by turning down bigger money to sign a one year deal has been less than advertised. Dupuis and Maatta, two solid spear carriers missed msot of the year. Beau Bennett has been given chance after chance and has 4 goals in 47 games. In fact none of the kids, Harrington, Farnham, Uher Wilson and Poulliot have shown much of anything. And Fleury belongs on this list as well, he has been inconsistent all year.

Going into next year, if I were Rutherford, I would look at Sutter, Spalling, Comeau and Downie as true assets for the third or fourth lines, with Sid and Geno and Hornqvist and Perron on the top two lines, try to move out Kunitz and bring in a sniper and allow the rebuilt defense to gel, hoping Poulliot takes a nice step forward.

But this year is far from over, the team is still among the most dangerous in the game. I would not want to face them, especially if Letang returns from his concussion for the playoffs. They are a dangerous team, IMHO because they are going to be playing scared, wondering if this is the end of the road for some of the players and the end of the road for them as serious contenders. When a team has their back against the wall and everyone starts counting them out, a lot of times they take on an us against the world mentality and I could see that here. Count them out at your own peril.

I've been trying to say that about Fleury all year!

Is it working yet, the adversity? When does it kick in?

We'll know in the first playoff series. ;) They've been outplaying the opposition in a lot of recent games, just not finishing. They've also squandered opportunities. We'll see how tonight goes. If they falter then they get what they deserve.

We'll know in the first playoff series. ;) They've been outplaying the opposition in a lot of recent games, just not finishing. They've also squandered opportunities. We'll see how tonight goes. If they falter then they get what they deserve.

I don't think I have ever cheered this hard for the Sabres, lol. It's making me queasy.

He was saying how GOOD Fleury has been. I think you misunderstood that one.
he yea right inconsistent is inconsistent good for 1 or 2 games, bad for 2 or 3 games. FLEURY SUCKS PERIOD. We already had this discussion.

Archived