What was Sutter thinking?

yave1964

With their season on the line and every point meaning life or death in the postseason, Darryl Sutter shocked the mB2mhbDmgRq-QD7zcSXrZXA.jpg hockey world by Starting Martin Jones against the lowly Oilers on Tuesday. It bblew up in his face, the Oilers played spoiler to a T defeating Jones and the Kings 4-2 leaving the Kings on the verge of elimination with 2 games to go.

The Kings have 93 points to the 95 of the Flames and 96 of the Jets, the biggest game of the year is tonight as the Kings take on the Flames. Even if they defeat the Flames Calgary owns the tiebreaker. And then on Saturday the season comes to an end against the rival Sharks who have nothing to play for except a chance to ruin the Kings chances to repeat.

Sutter defended his decision to start Jones who did shut out the Oilers twice last year.

"I think all of it. I mean, look at our schedule lately and what we still have left. Tonight’s three-in-four, the next one’s four-in-[six], and we play an afternoon game on Saturday, so you know what? You’ve got to use ‘em both. Jonesy played really well in Minnesota, and he had a strong game tonight. It certainly wasn’t an easy decision. It wasn’t a decision that was made yesterday. It was one we made a few days ago.”

Still, when you are staring down the eight ball with three games to go you win or lose with your best. I have enormous respect for Sutter and Lombardi but IMHO they blew it getting too cute and resting their starter with three games to go. If they miss the postseason, Quick will have plenty of time to rest.

Agree, @yave1964

Unless Sutter knew something about Quick that would really make him want to sit out the starter (aside from the condensed game schedule during this stretch), I think Quick SHOULD have been in.

Look no further than a team like Minnesota or Ottawa, who for the most part (particularly the Wild) have ridden their hot goalies to the point where they really don't dare change things up for fear of messing with a good thing.

Sens tried going to Anderson, suffered some bumps...back in goes Hammond.

Wild haven't even THOUGHT of swapping out Dubnyk.....and they don't care if its back to backs, three in fours, etc, etc...its all Dubnyk all the time because the Wild know it wouldn't have mattered resting Dubnyk if Minnesota didn't get in.

Now that the Wild DID clinch, MAYBE Dubes sees a game rest.

Same thinking should have been going on with Jonathan Quick.

Darryl Sutter would never admit it, but perhaps he underestimated the Oilers and thought, "Hey, this would be a good time to rest Quick...we are ONLY facing the Oilers..."

Obviously that didn't work out too well for the Kings.

Wanna bet Quick is starting the last two games even if the man is having chest pains, headaches, or on the verge of collapse?

You betcha........

Darryl Sutter would never admit it, but perhaps he underestimated the Oilers and thought, "Hey, this would be a good time to rest Quick...we are ONLY facing the Oilers..."

He also said that Jones had 2 shut outs against this same team. It was a risk but it was not a high risk using his previous games against the Oilers as a reference point. I have seen many coaches make much poorer decisions than that one. Quick also might have had some minor tweak which never made the news and Sutter was using the odds of this was the best game to give him a rest.

I trust Sutter to know his team. Jones is an excellent goalie - probably the best non-starter in the NHL no?

In these days of analytics-informed decision-making, how can Sutter not take seriously Jones's record against this same team (2 shutouts in last two starts vs)? 

Besides, if you're not good enough in a one-game match vs the Oilers with their best player out of the lineup and their backup in goal, do you deserve to be in the playoffs?

I trust Sutter to know his team. Jones is an excellent goalie - probably the best non-starter in the NHL no?

In these days of analytics-informed decision-making, how can Sutter not take seriously Jones's record against this same team (2 shutouts in last two starts vs)? 

Besides, if you're not good enough in a one-game match vs the Oilers with their best player out of the lineup and their backup in goal, do you deserve to be in the playoffs?

Sutter has shown his brilliance as a coach too often for me to immediately throw him under the bus on this. I think he's smart enough and calculating enough to do exactly that. I also can't help but wonder on top of this if @flyerrod may be correct about some minor something going on with Quick. Maybe Sutter just didn't want something like that to get out and give teams they're battling in the playoff race -- especially Calgary, considering they're about to play -- any encouragement from thinking Quick might be off of his game due to a minor injury. After all, Calgary is a tough team, and I have no doubt they'd try to get an extra shot in here or there if they had any reason to believe Quick wasn't on top of his game. Just say that the Kings did make the playoffs, but thanks to a little extra banging and bruising, Quick wasn't in top form. We all know what that would mean for the team. It's all speculation, of course, but I also trust Sutter to know his team, and if Quick isn't in top form, and I know I'll need him in top form to have any chance at a playoff run, I'll do what I have to do if I'm in Sutter's shoes. That's just my two cents, though.

@ScottM

Quick has played a lot of hockey in the last 6 weeks. And he's a goalie who relies considerably on his athleticism. So, yeah, he could have needed a rest. The Stanley Cup champs that we know should have been able to beat a lousy Oiler team.

I watched the 2nd half of that game and other than Doughty their play didn't look too inspired. They looked tired and ready for a rest - they've played a lot of hockey in the last 48 months.

But I still won't count them out....So, I hope the Jets are not counting on LA to lose to Calgary tonight. The Jets control their own fate, which is the way you want it to be. They need to go out against Colorado like they are a playoff team. If they do, they will win.

He also said that Jones had 2 shut outs against this same team. It was a risk but it was not a high risk using his previous games against the Oilers as a reference point. I have seen many coaches make much poorer decisions than that one. Quick also might have had some minor tweak which never made the news and Sutter was using the odds of this was the best game to give him a rest.

Bingo.  Sutter made a choice, that's what he's paid for.  Usually those choices work, but sometimes they don't.  And, as you point out, we seldom know what the real facts are.

One with multiple rings....one a confirmed back up, young but not a world beater.....your playoff spot and a shot at defending your crown is at risk....you start the one with multiple rings unless an injury throws a wrench into the equation.....a super easy question if there ever was one.

I'm perfectly comfortable with the decision to use Jones there. It was the right call; it just didn't work out.

The comparison to Minny is interesting because I think the Wild are a terrific example of a team that is actually going to ultimately suffer in the playoffs as their goalie flames out from exhaustion.

I can't blame Minny because, unlike the Kings, they really don't have a capable backup. Dubnyk is there BECAUSE the other goalies were destroying the season. Jones has proven capable and had shut out the Oilers twice before. If you see that match-up in the middle of a 4 in 6,you make that call.

It's not "cute." it's good asset management.

And with Sutter's resume, I'm guessing the guy has some idea what he's doing. It just didn't work out. When Mike Yeo has Sutter's experience and success, then I'll consider taking a second look at the wisdom of playing one goalie 37 straight games in all circumstances.

Pray Dubnyk doesn't get hurt because the (lousy) backups haven't played since 2014.

All that said, with Minnesota and the Peg getting in this year and LA and SJ not, I'm happy to see the new teams. I hope they both do well.

The Kings are dead. Long live the Kings.

One game does not a season make, the Kings have the most remarkable record over the past five years when facing elimination, this time there simply was nothing left in the tank.

Richards eroded. Voynov beat up his woman at the time that the league decided it was the worst sin possible and missed the season. Kopitar had a wretched start. Quick and Jones were not as good as last year.

Just not there year. They have treated the regular season as a scrimmage and a tuneup for the playoffs, this year it finally bit them as three Canadian teams were simply hungrier than they.

Archived