Philadelphia Flyers 2015 NHL draft...

The reason i created this thread is so we can have our draft discussions thoughts, mock draft info scouts info, fans info and any other things related to the subject instead of having many of these discussions scattered throughout many different threads.

Feel free to add anything here you think will be of use. Sad it is all us Flyers have to look forward too.

So to start some of this here is Craig Button's latest...

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-suspenseful-race-for-no-3-1.249965

A list of the upcoming draft picks...

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/3/2/8135871/taking-stock-of-philadelphia-flyers-draft-picks-after-the-2015-nhl

Looks like as of now the best the Flyers will be able to do for their first pick is 7th.

I guess BPA.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This mock has the Flyers taking...

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

#7-Mikko Rantanen

The Finnish Bull likes to go the net like a big man should; he also likes to erase the graffiti of ugly defenseman along the walls. This kid has got “game” in him and has decent skills to boot. He too is off to a slow start with just five points in eleven games. He will have to pick it up if he wishes to remain in the top ten. However, I would not expect for him to fall far if he does at all as his big man game is just too attractive to most teams.

And nothing against him but they have Nicolas Aube-Kubel last year whom is doing real well and i know he hasn't made it yet which goes against what i said about defensemen.

But here it's different because the Flyers are loaded currently with RWers Jake, Simmer and Read even....so i'd rather pass on another RW so soon plus defensemen are so valuable when you find a good one. If it's going to be a winger i'd rather it be a LW.

Plus like some say Mikko is a late ager.

But if they were planning to trade Jake (which i don't want) then i could see drafting him.

For those who didn't already know, the Frozen Four starts tonight. BU plays at 8:30 if you want to see Eichel.

Eff Eichel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I want to see Flyer prospect Michael Parks!!!!

I'm pulling for him to hoist the title for the Sioux!!!! 

He will be with the Phantoms next year!!!!

Eff Eichel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I want to see Flyer prospect Michael Parks!!!!

I'm pulling for him to hoist the title for the Sioux!!!! 

He will be with the Phantoms next year!!!!

Yeah, forgot about him. BU vs ND, I'll probably watch more of that than the Flyers tonight.

Yeah, forgot about him. BU vs ND, I'll probably watch more of that than the Flyers tonight.

I will as well.

I wonder are there any draft prospects other than Eichel playing in the final four. I will looking into it.

Another draft outlook/opinion............

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ryan-kennedys-2015-nhl-draft-rankings-at-the-quarterpole/

Here we go:
1. Connor McDavid, C – Erie Otters (OHL)
Potential NHL superstar thanks to his incredible vision and hockey IQ. Put up points at an amazing clip and helped Canada win gold at the world juniors.
2. Jack Eichel, C – Boston University Terriers (Hockey East)
Just a hair behind McDavid, Eichel will also give an NHL team its new No. 1 center. Size, speed and the ability to change the outcome of a game. Resurrected the Terriers.
3. Noah Hanifin, D – Boston College Eagles (Hockey East)
Size, poise and “jersey-flapping” speed. Hanifin got better as the year went on and has excellent offensive upside from the blueline.
4. Dylan Strome, C – Erie Otters (OHL)
The big No. 1 center that NHL teams all dream about. Strome is smart, skilled and defensively aware, to go along with the cherished 6-foot-3 frame.
5. Mitch Marner, RW – London Knights (OHL)
Slight-framed offensive dynamo has the potential to be a special producer at the NHL level. Could slide a bit due to size, but will make a team very happy.
6. Ivan Provorov, D – Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
He’s whatever you need him to be. Provorov can play it fast, he can play it physical and he can put up points from the blueline. Finalist for WHL defenseman of the year.
7. Lawson Crouse, LW – Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
He plays big, can do anything for a team and has a nice edge to his game. Surprise addition to Canada’s world junior team earned his gold medal.????????????????????   I just highlighted because it's the Flyers pick here.

8. Mathew Barzal, C – Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
Whip-smart producer is stronger than he looks and tough to knock off the puck. Injury limited his exposure, but if you need a pivot, he’s a great bet.
9. Zach Werenski, D – University of Michigan Wolverines (Big Ten)
Michigan’s best defenseman this season and he did it as a 17-year-old. Plays in all situations while bringing size, speed and calmness.
10. Pavel Zacha, C – Sarnia Sting (OHL)
Scouts love the power forward’s 200-foot game, which he matches with grit and competitiveness. Had a pretty good showing for Czechs at world juniors.
11. Kyle Connor, C – Youngstown Phantoms (USHL)
12. Mikko Rantanen, RW – TPS Turku (Fin.)
13. Timo Meier, RW – Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
14. Brock Boeser, RW – Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL)
15. Nick Merkley, C – Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
16. Evgeny Svechnikov, LW – Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL)
17. Paul Bittner, LW – Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
18. Nicolas Roy, C – Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL)
19. Colin White, C – U.S. NTDP (USHL)
20. Oliver Kylington, D – Farjestad (Swe.)
21. Jansen Harkins, C – Prince George Cougars (WHL)
22. Thomas Chabot, D – Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
23. Travis Konecny, C – Ottawa 67′s (OHL)
24. Daniel Sprong, RW – Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL)
25. Jakub Zboril, D – Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
26. Jeremy Roy, D – Sherbrooke Phoenix (QMJHL)
27. Joel Ek Eriksson, C – Farjestad (Swe.)
28. Jake DeBrusk, LW – Swift Current Broncos (WHL)
29. Gabriel Carlsson, D – Linkoping (Swe.)
30. Filip Chlapik, C – Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL)

This mock has the Flyers taking...

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

#7-Mikko Rantanen

The Finnish Bull likes to go the net like a big man should; he also likes to erase the graffiti of ugly defenseman along the walls. This kid has got “game” in him and has decent skills to boot. He too is off to a slow start with just five points in eleven games. He will have to pick it up if he wishes to remain in the top ten. However, I would not expect for him to fall far if he does at all as his big man game is just too attractive to most teams.

And nothing against him but they have Nicolas Aube-Kubel last year whom is doing real well and i know he hasn't made it yet which goes against what i said about defensemen.

But here it's different because the Flyers are loaded currently with RWers Jake, Simmer and Read even....so i'd rather pass on another RW so soon plus defensemen are so valuable when you find a good one. If it's going to be a winger i'd rather it be a LW.

Plus like some say Mikko is a late ager.

But if they were planning to trade Jake (which i don't want) then i could see drafting him.

Read's been playing LW for at least two years. For most of the year your top 3 RWs were Jake - Simmonds - Umberger.

Flyers need depth everywhere. If there's no Ovechkin-esque LW who's going to step in and have a significant impact on the 1st line in the next two seasons, you have to draft the guy rated best by your scouting staff when you pick. If you have two guys rated equally and one fills a need, ok, then pick the "need" guy.

LW

1. Taylor Leier AHL
2. Oskar Lindblom ???? Will he come over???
3. Radel Fazleev CHL 
4. Danick Martel AHL
5. Andrew Johnston AHL Will he be resigned??? MEH
6. Tyrell Goulbourne AHL

RW

1. Nicolas Aube-Kubel CHL 
2. Michael Parks AHL
3. Cole Bardreau AHL
4. Jason Akeson AHL??? Will he be resigned
5. Petr Straka AHL
6. Brandon Alderson AHL
7. Petr Placek NCAA
8. Derek Mathers AHL

C

1. Scott Laughton AHL/NHL
2. Nick Cousins AHL/NHL

So after looking closer at the depth....wow center is really really thin hell if Laughton and Cousins were to make the BIG club the Phantoms would have no natural centers...so unlike the Flyers to be thin at center.

Here's NHL Central Scouting's final rankings. They have Provorev - Zacha - Werenski 7-8-9 amongst NA skaters. I don't like that they're broken down by NA and International players, makes it hard to gauge who is really where  - not like this isn't how they've always done it, but it's still annoying.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761663

Here's NHL Central Scouting's final rankings. They have Provorev - Zacha - Werenski 7-8-9 amongst NA skaters. I don't like that they're broken down by NA and International players, makes it hard to gauge who is really where  - not like this isn't how they've always done it, but it's still annoying.

I think since Zach Werenski spent some time in the development league and even though he is going to Michigan he has to be signed by the end of his junior year versus waiting till his after his senior year if i remember correctly how i read the rule.

You know what's weird? If you look at the international skaters, there are two guys named Sebastion Aho. One from Sweden (ranked 13) and one from Finland (ranked 18). How weird is that?

Lots can happen between now and Hextall being called to the mike. Past Flyer history at the draft is not so good. Hexy has a chance in the next 2 drafts to build a contender. Lets all cross our fingers and hope Snider and Holmgren stay out of his way.

Past Flyer history at the draft is not so good.

2010 was the last year the Flyers didn't have a good draft (only pick worth mentioning Michael Parks) they since then.

2011- Saw them select 1st Coots, 3rd Cousins missed on 4th picks Suellentrop and Noebels 6th pick Petr Placek is still in college and 7th pick Mathers is on the Phantoms.

2012- 1st Laughton, 2nd Stolarz, 3rd Ghost, 4th round picks Larsson (missed) Leier, 5th Wilcox still in college, 7th Vasiliev in KHL

2013- 1st Morin will be in AHL, 2nd Hagg AHL, 3rd Goulbourne will be in AHL, 5th Amorosa in college, Merrick Madsen in college, Drake in college.

2014- 1st Sanheim juniors lead all defenseman in WHL in points, 2nd Aube-Kubel in junior nice season, 3rd Mark Friedman in college, 5th Oskar Lindblom in SHL may come over, 6th Radel Fazleev in junior, Jesper Pettersson in AHL.

To me since 2010 they have drafted damn well a few questionable ones like the Goulbourne one over Bjorkstrand or Duclair is the one i question most but i believe Goulbourne may turn into a nice player just no where as skilled as the two i mentioned they could of had.

What do you mean? We see that from the Flyers all the time. Oh wait, you're not talking about the defense getting abused?   :ph34r:

HAHA very tricky....yes i've seen enough of that from the Flyers already one of the reasons i'm glad Coburn is gone.

The reason i created this thread is so we can have our draft discussions thoughts, mock draft info scouts info, fans info and any other things related to the subject instead of having many of these discussions scattered throughout many different threads.

Feel free to add anything here you think will be of use. Sad it is all us Flyers have to look forward too.

So to start some of this here is Craig Button's latest...

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-suspenseful-race-for-no-3-1.249965

A list of the upcoming draft picks...

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/3/2/8135871/taking-stock-of-philadelphia-flyers-draft-picks-after-the-2015-nhl

Looks like as of now the best the Flyers will be able to do for their first pick is 7th.

I guess BPA.

Want to come away with in first round winger and a d/man to make team in two years. Second round one of the top goalies .After that size and speedy wingers. Might be coming your way to check out Myrtle Beach to move too

I think the cut off for quality players with not a lot of risk is somewhere around the 10-11 mark with Meier and Rantanen. So, the Flyers are safely nestled in the middle of that pack...we will get a nice young player out of this deal.

I think the cut off for quality players with not a lot of risk is somewhere around the 10-11 mark with Meier and Rantanen. So, the Flyers are safely nestled in the middle of that pack...we will get a nice young player out of this deal.

Yeah and they are still in the lottery too so Mcdavid can go a long way.....though Rick won't like it!!!

Ocams, my point was that the Flyers had fewer picks than most every other team, but since you beg to differ, your rebuttal is full of hope. Since 2010 there is only 1 player playing regularly in the NHL. I hate to argue with you but the history of this team drafting and developing talent is abysmal. Ownership and the GM's office have had zero patience and pro scouting has been mediocre at best evaluating UFAs.

Ocams, my point was that the Flyers had fewer picks than most every other team, but since you beg to differ, your rebuttal is full of hope. Since 2010 there is only 1 player playing regularly in the NHL. I hate to argue with you but the history of this team drafting and developing talent is abysmal. Ownership and the GM's office have had zero patience and pro scouting has been mediocre at best evaluating UFAs.

I understand what you are saying from a historical perspective, but this is indeed a fresh new start....no Clarke, no Homer....Hexy has shown he has some serious smarts, so I hold faith that he will improve the Flyers draft status...even though Homer was pretty decent at finding diamonds in the rough...as long as there are no trades invloved...ie 1st for that crappy d-man a few years back.

Archived