Are We Playing Down to the Bad Teams or Having a Tough Time with Fast, Skilled Ones?

Howie58

Greetings:

I am not a walking analytics machine but watching last night's game against Carolina made me think: Is is really a matter of playing down to the bad teams, or do the young teams (possibly losing records nonetheless) have players that simply out-skate and out-maneuver us?  I don't think the Flyers were lazy (the Inquirer take).  I think Carolina's team had us bottled up at mid-ice and it took 6 on 5 skating in the last minutes to open up scorers.  

Playoff bound teams may play more defensive hockey.  That fits better with our system.  Maybe I'm wrong but this notion that we dumb down to the incompetent sounds simplistic.  I don't think a team takes 4 of 5 games in a season series because we don't respect them.  Something about the composition of that team gives us fits.

Howie

Stack them up in a series against a good team and they would lose... Weird as it is they are simply not that good.

That and they don't have the coaching to get them out of it....his answer is to skate harder and juggle the lines...and give Zac more minutes!!!! He is a moron and must be canned!

Greetings:

I am not a walking analytics machine but watching last night's game against Carolina made me think: Is is really a matter of playing down to the bad teams, or do the young teams (possibly losing records nonetheless) have players that simply out-skate and out-maneuver us? I don't think the Flyers were lazy (the Inquirer take). I think Carolina's team had us bottled up at mid-ice and it took 6 on 5 skating in the last minutes to open up scorers.

Playoff bound teams may play more defensive hockey. That fits better with our system. Maybe I'm wrong but this notion that we dumb down to the incompetent sounds simplistic. I don't think a team takes 4 of 5 games in a season series because we don't respect them. Something about the composition of that team gives us fits.

Howie

Really hard to say because against Carolina the flyers have NOTHING to play for. The you get guys on those teams, faster or not have the "prove themselves and their roster spot" motivation. Are their young guys faster than ours?

Why is that? The flyers are playing a lot of young guys right now. Why are ours so "slow" and everykne else's so fast on your estimation?

I don't disagree with you, I just am not sure I agree with the theory.

This flyers team obviously has motivational issues. The home / road records are the strongest evidence of that. That says to me that these guys just don't have a reliable focus to get them up for every game or a reliable system to lean on when they're not feeling hyper motivated like they always seem to be against the Penguins.

And contrary to the beliefs of some here, no team can be "on" 82 games a year and no team plays a full "60 minutes" every night. Good ones do it more often than not, but GREAT team have more than just their skills and their motivation going for them.

Right now we ain't great and we aren't even good.

coaching is definitely a problem, but the other thing that bad teams have younger faster players that the flyers cant keep up with. with the good teams they have alot of vet players and so does the flyers they seem to match up against because they are not fast.

which my point is this team to has to get younger and faster to beat those bad teams. berube is a problem because he wants to play vets which is hurting this team more than playing the young guys, if the flyers had younger and faster players and a good coach we could be in the playoffs because of mason playing so good.

i watched the game last night, you can tell how fast carolina was against the flyers.

you look at the sens, flames, they are young and fast, have coaches that want to play their young players and great goaltending, that's why they are playing at a high level and why the flyers arent.

hextall has to make alot of changes and be willing to play the young guys and get a coach that wants to play them and knows how to put them in position to win. i understand there might be mistakes but they are not playing any better with vets in the lineup, vets are hurting us more than the young guys.

Gosh, maybe I stuck foot in mouth on a Friday PM when I should be whetting whistle with Merlot. It's true--we've got some issues...many.  And the home/away record is interesting. Cam Ward was great last night.

King Knut may be on to a lot and I may be on to nothing. 

Howie

Why are ours so "slow" and everykne else's so fast on your estimation?

One thing i noticed with the Flyers (and i'm not saying this is the sole reason) is they skate with the puck a lot up the ice and instead of passing (because that is the quickest way of moving it) they keep it till the last second till one of two things happens....

1-the defender is already on them and sometimes they get a piece of the pass so it's sloppy or

2-they wait till the last second so it's not crisp and accurate there bouncing off the receivers stick a lot most times resulting in a turnover this dramatically hurts possession numbers.

Things are some of the things i've seen all year and it seems that a good coach would try to coach it out of them...but i have seen no change there.

1) The Flyers think they are "better" than the teams they have lost to

2) Playoff-bound teams think they are "better" than the Flyers

3) Teams that think they are "better" than their competition tend to take nights off, doubly so when they have essentially already clinched a playoff berth.

4) The Flyers LIVE in the heads of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Rent free. And they're painting the walls and putting up curtains without permission.

One thing i noticed with the Flyers (and i'm not saying this is the sole reason) is they skate with the puck a lot up the ice and instead of passing (because that is the quickest way of moving it) they keep it till the last second till one of two things happens....

1-the defender is already on them and sometimes they get a piece of the pass so it's sloppy or

2-they wait till the last second so it's not crisp and accurate there bouncing off the receivers stick a lot most times resulting in a turnover this dramatically hurts possession numbers.

Things are some of the things i've seen all year and it seems that a good coach would try to coach it out of them...but i have seen no change there.

both of these in my estimation are not because of skating speed (though i don't mean to say it's not possible our guys skate more slowly) but because of a lack of or an inferior system. 

they skate with the puck because the guys they'd pass to are not in position and are skating up ice themselves.

This could be because the defense sucks and they're all back trying to help out and it could be because they're not sure where they're supposed to be

They wait til the last second because they don't have options because no one's in position to receive a pass because they're all back behind their own red line or deeper.

Is it Chief having a terrible idea of how to coach hockey or is it Chief deciding to put his offense on defense because his defense is so bad and he doesn't think his offense can out-gun teams in an all offense type of game.

I look at the blackhawks game a week back to one where I thought I saw a LOT more really nice crisp passing and it resulted in a lot of back and forth exciting hockey and a lot of goals.

That was an anomaly. 

Long story short, the defense sucks and Chief is coaching them into a crappy transition game.  The question of whether he needs to or not is up for debate I guess. 

they skate with the puck because the guys they'd pass to are not in position and are skating up ice themselves.

In some cases and in some it almost seems to be puck hoggish not completely but the windows when to pass close quickly and that too is a maturity thing...the windows that would be open say for ever in junior close quickly in the NHL but some comes down to coaching and like i said ii just haven't seen improvement in that area some of that is on the players and some is on the coach.

In some cases and in some it almost seems to be puck hoggish not completely but the windows when to pass close quickly and that too is a maturity thing...the windows that would be open say for ever in junior close quickly in the NHL but some comes down to coaching and like i said ii just haven't seen improvement in that area some of that is on the players and some is on the coach.

I agree. I just think the coach should be part of the players improving in addition to giving them a system within which they're set up to accomplish it. This one does neither IMHO and a better coach is achievable. Better players can't be acquired right now they have to be developed... Which leads us back to needing the right coach for that.

I agree. I just think the coach should be part of the players improving in addition to giving them a system within which they're set up to accomplish it. This one does neither IMHO and a better coach is achievable. Better players can't be acquired right now they have to be developed... Which leads us back to needing the right coach for that.

I suggested in another thread Dave Lowry as a head coach candidate are you familiar with him and if you are what is your thought about him?

He is the coach of the Victoria Royals in the WHL.

How would Chief motivate Giroux,Jake,Bd Schenn,Cooter,put em' in the Pizza Box with Vinny? Super Soft Flyers,whats with all the slow starts? In the beginning of the season,most every game for the last three seasons,you can go to the bank with it. If some players don't want to play three periods a game,get rid of em'.

I suggested in another thread Dave Lowry as a head coach candidate are you familiar with him and if you are what is your thought about him?

He is the coach of the Victoria Royals in the WHL.

I'm actually not. I don't have a ton of time to watch a lot of other leagues. I'd be curious to hear about him. What is it you like about him?

How would Chief motivate Giroux,Jake,Bd Schenn,Cooter,put em' in the Pizza Box with Vinny? Super Soft Flyers,whats with all the slow starts? In the beginning of the season,most every game for the last three seasons,you can go to the bank with it. If some players don't want to play three periods a game,get rid of em'.

Yeah.. Trade them for someone like Luke Schenn maybe?

I'm actually not. I don't have a ton of time to watch a lot of other leagues. I'd be curious to hear about him. What is it you like about him?

From everything i've read he sounds like a good coach with the youth and is suppose to be a coach who likes to coach within his system a defensive oriented one but with offensive potential.

I think Canada selected him as an assistant coach to their upcoming junior squad so that is a sound endorsement i say.

He has coached juniors now for 4 year his first with Calgary and then the last 3 with Victoria.

Mediocre goalies and world-beating play; or 'Steve Mason for Vezina'

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/mediocre-goalies-and-world-beating-play--or--steve-mason-for-vezina---trending-topics-220440384.html

HHHHhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Archived