Manning Hired on One Year NHL Contract for '16

Howie58

Yes i imagine this is the precursor to move that may go down at the draft...who well that is anyone's guess.

Prefer not MDZ or Streit, but I won't shed tears over anyone else.

Could also be that they just don't think they'll come to terms with Carlo.

Prefer not MDZ or Streit, but I won't shed tears over anyone else.

Could also be that they just don't think they'll come to terms with Carlo.

No i expect if they can it will be Luke and/or Nick more than likely.

The Nik or Luke is interesting.  Nik has our best plus minus but in last year...could be trade bait at deadline. Luke has more potential return. Question with him is whether management views the brothers as Siamese Twins who are paired....not that sentiment should matter. 

Best,

Howie

I like CC--Manning is younger and I doubt they could hire CC at $625K.  That said the O and B did CC a favor may have led to his reboot.  

Howie

@Howie58,

Agreed. Once CC cracked the lineup, he played pretty well. I would think that he would try to stay with the Flyers just like Schultz did/is.

I like CC--Manning is younger and I doubt they could hire CC at $625K.  That said the O and B did CC a favor may have led to his reboot.  

Howie

I thought he played well too in fact i like his game better than Schultz whom they already resigned...i'd love for them to be able to move Mcdud first but his contract is a HUGE obstacle Hexy won't be able to get around....thanks Homer you f**king d!ck!!!!

Here's the article on the signing.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Manning-signed-to-one-way-deal.html

The Flyers signed defenseman Brandon Manning to a one-year contract extension on Friday, general manager Ron Hextall announced.

Manning, 24, has appeared in 10 games for the Flyers this season. His contract is a "one-way" deal, meaning it does not have an AHL component.

Based on his age and experience, Manning was due to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Now, he will fight for a full-time NHL job in September, possibly turning down more lucrative offers overseas for a shot at the best league in the world.

With Manning signed, the Flyers now have seven defensemen on one-way contracts for next season - and that does not include restricted free agent Michael Del Zotto.

Mark Streit - $5.25 million
Andrew MacDonald - $5 million
Luke Schenn - $3.6 million
Nick Grossmann - $3.5 million
Nick Schultz - $2.25 million
Radko Gudas - $992,000
Brandon Manning - financial terms not immediately available.

As you can see, that does not leave much room for the Flyers' prospects, like Travis Sanheim, Samuel Morin, or Shayne Gostisbehere.

However, as Oliver Lauridsen proved this year, a one-way contract does not nearly guarantee a roster spot. It just means the Flyers were interested enough in not letting Manning walk. Lauridsen earned $600,000 this season but spent just three days on the NHL roster.

Manning isn't particularly all that young at age 24 - he is but a few months younger than Luke Schenn - yet he has blossomed into a capable defender and puck mover.

On Twitter: @frank_seravalli

However, as Oliver Lauridsen proved this year, a one-way contract does not nearly guarantee a roster spot. It just means the Flyers were interested enough in not letting Manning walk.

Yes i wouldn't expect anything to be really given....but i like what he brings than half the guys you listed above...not including MDZ and Gudas.

Someone will play their last game in a Flyer uniform i suspect come sunday.

The Nik or Luke is interesting. Nik has our best plus minus but in last year...could be trade bait at deadline. Luke has more potential return. Question with him is whether management views the brothers as Siamese Twins who are paired....not that sentiment should matter.

Best,

Howie

Maybe they need to be broken up to perform. Could be the opposite of the sedins.

Yes i wouldn't expect anything to be really given....but i like what he brings than half the guys you listed above...not including MDZ and Gudas.

Someone will play their last game in a Flyer uniform i suspect come sunday.Saturday

Don't want you missing the last game  ;)

Someone will play their last game in a Flyer uniform i suspect come sunday.

BTW, I didn't write that... it's from the article. Everything below the link I pasted is from Frank Seravalli.

I agree with you - Manning seems perfectly capable of handling the role of a #5/6. I believe most of us thought as much before the season started and Hextall went on a Homerian search for the annual 12 defensemen this team tries to stockpile. ;)

He did find MDZ though, so it paid off.

I think Grossmann is almost certainly a goner.

And if there's any justice in the world, MacDud will be deported and have his work visa revoked.

BTW, I didn't write that... it's from the article. Everything below the link I pasted is from Frank Seravalli.

I agree with you - Manning seems perfectly capable of handling the role of a #5/6. I believe most of us thought as much before the season started and Hextall went on a Homerian search for the annual 12 defensemen this team tries to stockpile. ;)

He did find MDZ though, so it paid off.

I think Grossmann is almost certainly a goner.

And if there's any justice in the world, MacDud will be deported and have his work visa revoked.

Yeah i'm not sure what Hexy has up his sleeve but i feel he knows he can't have the same roster basically at the start of next season and most of his work needs to be in the defensive realm.

Homer sure make it so he wouldn't haven't it easy his first couple of years.

Another thought--would they flip Gudas.  Maybe they don't like what they see in rehab. Or his resigning at the end of next year would be higher than a CC or Manning.  Just a thought.  They've had auditions from CC and Manning.  Gudas--read is from pre-injury and other squad.  

Howie

Another thought--would they flip Gudas

They could at this point with a team in rebuild/retool mode you really can't take anything off the table. But i would venture and guess no because his cap hit is easy to hide in the AHL and it a contract you kind of want for a 5th or 6th Dman. So i think he may be safe but you can never know if he could be used as a trade chip.

I think it will be one of the other two sloth Dmen who will be moved with the higher cap hits.

Archived