• Canucks in 4 (Sweep)
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 7
    • Flames in 4 (Sweep)
    • Flames in 5
    • Flames in 6
    • Flames in 7

Who woulda predicted this series before the season started? I thought the Canucks were a postseason team, but no way no how the Flames. Testament to Bob Hartley who would get my Adams Award vote...

When series are pretty even, I usually go with experience. Because of that, I think the Canucks in 6.

Wow...talk about a pick'em.

Both teams played some very good games down the stretch, and also may have lost some games that made one scratch their heads, both feature some good up n coming players, though Van has some more seasoned players than Calgary does, plus they have the home ice advantage.

I am pulling REAL hard for Calgary to win this series as I think they are the more exciting and fun team to watch, but going with @yave1964 's assessment with the experience being the tipping factor when the teams are so close.

Also, overall, with special teams, I believe the Canucks to be better rounded and that in itself could be the deciding factor.

Flames in 4....yep, you heard it here first .....SWWWEEEEEPPPPP!!!  Flames have the better goalie (at least for right now at the moment) more mobile defense and MUCH MUCH more heart. The Sedin twins fold like a cheap accordion....again.

Flames in 4....yep, you heard it here first .....SWWWEEEEEPPPPP!!!  Flames have the better goalie (at least for right now at the moment) more mobile defense and MUCH MUCH more heart. The Sedin twins fold like a cheap accordion....again.

Bold indeed.

I suppose there will be at least ONE series that ends in a sweep one way or the other, but I wouldn't have thought this one would be it.

Like I said, I am pulling real hard for Calgary here, but I think the Canucks take it...however, @jammer2 , you can toot your horn all night long and into the following week if you are right on this one...haha.

Vancouver, Calgary has had alot of trouble with them this year. And the fact that Vancouver has far more experience in the playoffs gives them the advantage.

I think the Flames will focus on shutting down the Sedins, but  that second line might end up surprising alot of people and may end up being the main point producers throughout the series.

That isn't to say Calgary Flames dont have a chance though, their heart and determination is up there with Ottawa's, and as we saw in the 2004 playoff series, young players with heart and determination can trump experience.

The safe bet is on Vancouver, but i have a feeling Calgary will surprise alot of people during the series. This could be a close one folks.

Never underestimate the heart and determination of young players.

Canucks in 6. Flames can steal 2 games, but no more than that.

Vrbata, Horvat, Lack - Will steal the series. The Sedins will shock everyone with how well they play until the playoffs end (win or lose).

My gut says Vancouver wins this series, but Calgary's gonna give them a real fight. This one goes the distance. I'm excited about this series, and I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

I would've never guessed that the Flames would make it in the post season this year. Considering the western conference is extremely competitive, the Flames have gone above and beyond expectations.

I would love to see Calgary make it another round in the playoffs, but Vancouver is far more experienced. The Canucks will have a tough time stopping the Hudler-Gaudreau-Monahan line and also Calgary's active defense. I think the Canucks will get through this round in 7 games.

I like the frisky flames , I like Bob Hartley.  I like that Johnny Gadreau.  I like the Flames in this series just because I know a little more about them than the Canucks who are Bo Horvat and who  ?

I like the frisky flames , I like Bob Hartley.  I like that Johnny Gadreau.  I like the Flames in this series just because I know a little more about them than the Canucks who are Bo Horvat and who  ?

Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, and I am sure you know Alexander Burrows. Radim Vrbata, Nick Bonino, Eddie Lack and Ryan Miller are a few more of the stars. Horvat could have put up numbers close to Johnny Gadreau if he were top line every game, showing alot of Vancouver depth. We have some nice wild cards like Chris Higgens, Yannik Hansen, Alexander Edler too. Alot of nice players on the Canucks.

Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, and I am sure you know Alexander Burrows. Radim Vrbata, Nick Bonino, Eddie Lack and Ryan Miller are a few more of the stars. Horvat could have put up numbers close to Johnny Gadreau if he were top line every game, showing alot of Vancouver depth. We have some nice wild cards like Chris Higgens, Yannik Hansen, Alexander Edler too. Alot of nice players on the Canucks.

i guess i forgot about the Sedin's .  After the mess of a year with Tortorella I felt like they were done , Ryan Miller may be a known quantity but i am not a fan.  I thought Vrbata to be a good player and Burrows is alright but not a guy i'd build around... if this is your team and i offended you , sorry.  I was surprised they made the playoffs, but i was also operating under the assumption the team was blown up and rebuilding after the Torts debacle.

i guess i forgot about the Sedin's .  After the mess of a year with Tortorella I felt like they were done , Ryan Miller may be a known quantity but i am not a fan.  I thought Vrbata to be a good player and Burrows is alright but not a guy i'd build around... if this is your team and i offended you , sorry.  I was surprised they made the playoffs, but i was also operating under the assumption the team was blown up and rebuilding after the Torts debacle.

We fired our GM and Coach, and hired a new GM, President, and a coach who won the calder cup last year. We got rid of the whiny traitor kesler, and picked up nice assests in the off season. I said at the beginning of the year that THIS will be the year that the sedins will surprised people, and they sure did rebound nicely. Now its playoff time, with tones of previous experience to take forward. I would have Vancouver or Anaheim winning the cup this year.

Anyone hear if Giordano will be back in this series?

I picked the Flames in 6, but Vancouver may just win this as they have been strong all season.

Giordano is "skating" but that means little. From all accounts it sounds like he *could* maybe play later in the playoffs. Probably much later.

Watch much of this game.....close, to-the-vest all the way.

And when the Canucks scored their goal for the lead, the way things were going, that one goal sure seemed like about 3.

But then, these ARE the comeback 3rd period Calgary Flames and they did not disappoint.

Matching Vancouver's goal then putting the dagger in their backs with the go-ahead goal with about 29 seconds left in regulation.

Pretty damned awesome way for that series to kick off....well, not so much for Vancouver and their fans.....and Flames fans have to be stoked their team has already won the 'required' road game before coming home after Game 2.

Flames can now try for a 2 game lead before returning to their friendly confines.  ;)

Eddie Lack was pretty good for Vancouver.....I can't imagine not starting Ryan Miller was much of a difference maker...if at all.

Canucks just needed to get one more by Jonas Hiller and they didn't.

If I am the Canucks, I stick with Lack for Game 2 and not let this close 2-1 loss cause them to hit the panic button and flip over to Miller.

Good win, Calgary!

@hf101

Loving this series, Hartley, who I hated for no other reason other than he coached the Avalanche at a time when I hated the team, has impressed me with the patience he has desplayed with the kids. And Vancouver going to Lacl, well that is a gutsy call as well.

Engelland had his misconduct overturned, right call IMHO he didnt do any more than anyone else on the ice. I think the series continues its nasty, chippy ways. Looking forward to it.

If you get a chance to stay up late without it affecting your employment, watch some of this series, the Canucks seem to be standing around and the young Flames are skating circles around them and punishing them with hits every shift as well. All Flames, even without Giordano. And the whispers have begun that the stud back ender may be back in the second round if the Flames get that far.

Sam Bennett, the 18 year old forward scored again last night, two games in a row! His enthusiasm makes up for a lot, but there is a big difference between playing Nick Bonino and lining up against Getzlaf or Kessler. But for now I am seriously enjoying the Flames effort against the Canucks.

If you get a chance to stay up late without it affecting your employment, watch some of this series, the Canucks seem to be standing around and the young Flames are skating circles around them and punishing them with hits every shift as well. All Flames, even without Giordano. And the whispers have begun that the stud back ender may be back in the second round if the Flames get that far.

Sam Bennett, the 18 year old forward scored again last night, two games in a row! His enthusiasm makes up for a lot, but there is a big difference between playing Nick Bonino and lining up against Getzlaf or Kessler. But for now I am seriously enjoying the Flames effort against the Canucks.

Me too. A good series for all the fancy stats folks to watch too, because the Flames rank near the very bottom in all the possession stats but still find ways to win. I wonder if it's because the majority of their players are plus players <ninja/>

I get to watch the Bolts n Wings tonight...followed by this game.

Here is to hoping the Flames can close this out and rest up a bit (Ducks are already resting and waiting on a winner here) and put the myth of the Canucks to rest once and for all.

The thing is, Calgary is still a young team...very young....and as the old cliche goes "toughest game to win in a series is the 4th one".

I actually believe the Canucks may pull this one out and make it a 3-2 series in favor of the Flames.....then that will give Calgary two shots (very next one at home) to finish this thing and look towards Anaheim.

I will be rooting 'Go Flames Go' on this, but I give the edge a bit to the Canucks, their vets, and MAYBE a revitalized Ryan Miller.

Hehehe...here is the interesting thing about Mr. Miller though:  If Calgary can pummel him a bit early, he CAN be rattled...and as often has been the case (whether in Buffalo, St. Louis, or Vancouver), Ryan Miller, as good as he can be, has this propensity to 'lose interest'...and that can lead to an avalanche of problems for the Canucks defensively.

Also, keeping in mind the Canucks will not have uber pest Alex Burrows on hand either.

Like I said...giving the edge to the Canucks here based on experience, desperation of the team, the POTENTIAL of Ryan Miller to be good, and the overall youth on Calgary's side to know HOW to put away a team convincingly.

But if Miller struggles early.....ohhhh, boy...look out....it'll be Canucks collecting that nice Dookie Award I've been handing out to teams on this site! :D

Miller struggles, no Alex Burrows, tons of momentum in the young Flames' favor....I don't see Vancouver having it in them to make a comeback.

They need to control this thing from the opening puck drop...they do that, they make this a 3-2 series.

Go Flames!

@Hockey Junkie

Not worried about Norris or the pitching... i don't know why... i think they'll all come around and/or Buck will find a way to get production from the staff.

they're scuffling along right now,   it will help to not have to play Toronto everyday, they seem to be red hot or have our number now. 

I think they're the team to beat in our division.

I thought the O's had a "not good" off season, letting guys sign elsewhere, not replacing their production.  Nelson Cruz provided a lot of easy offense, guys other than Jones start picking it up or we're looking at a long season.

Archived