Oilers win the Lottery

hf101

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's embarrassing for the league and unfortunate for Connor.  

What the Oilers SHOULD DO?... trade one of Draisitl/Eberle/Yakupov for Defensive help or a Goalie.

Unfortunately, they rushed Draisitl and his value isn't incredibly high I don't think... and I doubt the way they've handled Yakupov makes teams excited either.

So it looks like they've gotta trade a big piece (Eberle?) for help where they need it.

But, IMO they'll probably just keep the status quo and keep muddling along.

I feel sorry for McDavid. Edmonton has shown they don't know how to properly develop players.

Does McDavid really need developing though? I mean, if he's the next Crosby....

(Not disputing he skill.  Just think that even Edmonton couldn't muck him up. Now the rest of the team....)

I think it's embarrassing for the league and unfortunate for Connor.  

What the Oilers SHOULD DO?... trade one of Draisitl/Eberle/Yakupov for Defensive help or a Goalie.

Unfortunately, they rushed Draisitl and his value isn't incredibly high I don't think... and I doubt the way they've handled Yakupov makes teams excited either.

So it looks like they've gotta trade a big piece (Eberle?) for help where they need it.

But, IMO they'll probably just keep the status quo and keep muddling along.

Draisaitl: I don't think that scouts would be turned off from a quality prospect because he was thrown in over his head made to play on a terrible team. Players like Draisaitl, especially at his age, have enormous value with teams. That said, I doubt that he's going to be traded.

Eberle: MacTavish said, just last week, that Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, and even Yakupov aren't going anywhere, and that trading players that age often blows up in a team's face. We could ask Peter Chiarelli if he agrees with that. Take a look at the Houston Astros, circa the late 1960s for that answer. Even if MacTavish does trade Eberle, who plays his minutes? Yakupov? Teddy Purcell? Iiro Pakarinen?

This is what MacTavish said a few days ago in his season ending pressor:

“Make no mistake, we have the assets to go out and acquire more proven players.”

And then he said this:

“Do I envision a scenario where a proven top one or two defenseman becomes available? Potentially. I think there are going to be some very unhappy teams here in the next couple of weeks. There are going to be teams that are up against a very tight salary cap, and that’s going to create an environment where they potentially could be looking to offload some high-end assets.

“We’d be in a position — because of the developing assets that we have — where we’d be able to acquire them.”

So...just throwing this out there....if you are the GM of the Oilers...you know you need defensive help...do you trade down to #3 or 4 (knowing McDavid and Eichel are going #1 and #2) and pick the best defensive prospect. you should be able to get quite a haul if you trade the #1 overall pipck.

Not saying I would do this...more of jus a what if discussion point.  Honestly if the Oiler GM would do this I think Oilers fans would have a flat out revolt.......

Very interesting ......

So...just throwing this out there....if you are the GM of the Oilers...you know you need defensive help...do you trade down to #3 or 4 (knowing McDavid and Eichel are going #1 and #2) and pick the best defensive prospect. you should be able to get quite a haul if you trade the #1 overall pipck.

Not saying I would do this...more of jus a what if discussion point.  Honestly if the Oiler GM would do this I think Oilers fans would have a flat out revolt.......

Very interesting ......

Even Oilers management doesn't go down to that sort of sub-Forrest Gump stupidity.

You don't walk up to the draft table to solve current need. It's a loser's bet. Take the best player available.

Guys...have you ever seen McDavid do any interviews??? He always looks like that...he isnt jovial like Curtis Lazar with the perma grin.

Those Edmonton guys are KIDS still.... remeber the Oilers had **** all to work with...shitty older players so no leaders to teach the young guys.

Other young guys on other teams have had the help developing with older players that are better than them...these kids have not.... but they will come around.

There was a definate improvement the last part of the seasont and I was happy they were actually trying hard to win games and were not tanking like Buffalo and Arizona.

@pilldoc  Nah, you gotta take the generational talent that is sitting in front of you....but hey, if you want to gamble that you will improve next year....shop the 2016 1st rounder for an impact defensemen type...I would at least think about that.

@JR Ewing  ... so if you're team isn't going to deal from their strengths to address their weaknesses....  How Are They Going To Ever Address Them???   

Your blueline makes the Flyers' blueline look good.... and your goaltending makes the Leafs' goaltending look good.

Drafting McDavid doesn't solve any of the Oilers' actual issues.   So if Yakupov/Draisitl/Eberle aren't going to be used, how do you see them doing it?

IMO, they aren't going to do squat about it... and continue to muddle along.

@JR Ewing  ... so if you're team isn't going to deal from their strengths to address their weaknesses....  How Are They Going To Ever Address Them???   

Your blueline makes the Flyers' blueline look good.... and your goaltending makes the Leafs' goaltending look good.

Drafting McDavid doesn't solve any of the Oilers' actual issues.   So if Yakupov/Draisitl/Eberle aren't going to be used, how do you see them doing it?

IMO, they aren't going to do squat about it... and continue to muddle along.

I would suggest that, with coming into this year with a centre depth of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Boyd Gordon (a 4th liner) as established NHL centres, depth up the middle is an actual issue as well, and one which is assisted quite nicely by drafting McDavid.

Other than that, I think the main issue is that a strange number of people seem to think that getting a #1 goalie of 1st pairing defenseman is as simple as throwing one small, weak one dimensional winger  (who IS good at that particular dimension) at another team, and BAM!, problem solved. I haven't made an exhaustive search, but my immediate memory tells me that those guys aren't offered up all that often. I certainly agree that defense and goal are problems the Oilers have, but don't agree that other teams want to jump all over Eberle when the price is their best defenseman or goalie.

I like Eberle, but I wouldn't give up a true #1 defenseman for him straight up.

I like Eberle, but I wouldn't give up a true #1 defenseman for him straight up.

and that really is a realistic way of looking at it. There is a few avenues they can go....after they draft McDavid, don't draft BPA....draft the best goalie and or defensemen available, don't touch a forward until the 5th round or so, hope you hit a home run that way. Move next years first rounder, gambling that your defense and top 6 forwards can push into a non top 10 draft position. Everyone has to remember, Klefbloom made some NHL strides, he's expected to build on that....but Nurse is ready, funny enough, about to face off against McDavid and Erie for the OHL Western Conf championship.

Does McDavid really need developing though? I mean, if he's the next Crosby....

(Not disputing he skill.  Just think that even Edmonton couldn't muck him up. Now the rest of the team....)

Do you think Crosby would have developed the way he did in Edmonton instead of Pittsburgh? The Pens were able to surround him with quality veterans and players.

Edmonton has shown over and over that they are unable (or unwilling?) to acquire high quality veterans from elsewhere. They got the draftees, who have no choice but to go to Edmonton. They get the occasional player through trade who doesn't have an NTC/NMC, like Perron. And even he wanted out of Edmonton not long after. 

It's a chicken and egg scenario - no one wants to actually play in Edmonton willingly unless they were to have, say, a really really competitive team. But how can they ever have a really competitive team if no veterans are around to help stabilize and guide all the rookies?

As good as McDavid is, he's still a kid. 

McDavid will be fine in Edmonton. The Battle of Alberta is officially on again, and that's a good thing for hockey. The Oilers still need goaltending and D, but they are legitimate once more. Congrats to JR and other Oiler fans.

If my team wasn't going to get him, I'm kind of glad it was Edmonton. Sure they've won  the lottery several times...most of which was when the top pick was a guy as talented as the one we'll get picking 7th. I'm certainly glad it wasn't a team like LA or Boston, who just missed. I'm also glad it was a team below us in the standings, so we didn't drop a spot. 

McDavid looked like he always does. The guy has ice running through his vains. Watch highlights of his incredible goals...it's all business for this young man who's development won't be sidetracked by anything. Whoever his wingers are in Edmonton, they're going to be having some kind of fun playing with this super fast elite playmaker with a GIANT hockey brain.

McFranchise probably was watching this from his sofa at home and said , "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO."

He was in the Sportsnet studios the whole time. They interviewed him before and just seconds after. Gotta love that kids approach, no ego at all, very soft spoken, very intelligent.

So....Edmonton with yet ANOTHER number one pick.....what else is new, right? ;)

I joked in another thread earlier in the hockey season that if McDavid did end up in Edmonton, the Oilers were sure to 'ruin' him.

But let's be clear: That was really all in jest.

If McDavid really is the generational talent that everyone makes him out to be (and that he has shown in countless videos of his play in Juniors), then not even the Mighty Inept Gurus that are the Edmonton Oilers can screw him up.

In fact, with McDavid now being the centerpiece in Edmonton and the fine cast of forwards the Oilers have already accumulated, it should be more obvious than ever what the team needs (the obvious goaltending, defense, and hard nosed type players), but also it should shine a light once and for all, on what a flippin TERRIBLE job the Oiler front office has done to this point.

Hey, if you are failing miserably with Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Hall, Schultz and NOW McDavid....then people's heads in the higher ups need to start rolling, and fast!

I am not calling for Edmonton to suddenly become Cup contenders, although with certain albatrosses in the FO removed, that COULD happen sooner than later.

Remember people, I called for Edmonton to be the next Canadian based franchise to hoist the Stanley Cup here:

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/64102-which-canadian-franchise-will-be-the-next-to-hoist-the-stanley-cup/

:D

But the Oilers should definitely show major signs of improvement as soon as next season.

Even if Edmonton still lacks in defense and goaltending and lose games, you should still see the increase in goals, the increase in tempo, and the increase in depth on all the forward lines.

Congrats Oilers on the number one overall...now DO something with the damned team!

I really think Andrew MacDonald and our 20th for Taylor Hall ought to get it done.  Don't you think?

I imagine you were kidding... but do you think MacDonald and our 7th would?

What are the odds that our #7 ends up being better than Hall? If so, it will probably be by a small degree. The Oil could get Marner, Provorov, Werenski, Barzal, or similar. 

So we jump start our process by 5 years. Hall should be having his best statistical years this upcoming season and the one after.

Would you make that trade? Would the Oilers?

Archived