Oilers win the Lottery

hf101

I imagine you were kidding... but do you think MacDonald and our 7th would?

What are the odds that our #7 ends up being better than Hall? If so, it will probably be by a small degree. The Oil could get Marner, Provorov, Werenski, Barzal, or similar. 

So we jump start our process by 5 years. Hall should be having his best statistical years this upcoming season and the one after.

Would you make that trade? Would the Oilers?

do you have the Pens first round pick this year? How many first round picks do you have, other than your own and Pittsburgh?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do you have the Pens first round pick this year? How many first round picks do you have, other than your own and Pittsburgh?

Nah, the Oilers have the Pens 1st rounder this year in the Perron trade.

We have ours (#7) and Tampa's (depends on how far they go, but somewhere around 20-25th probably).

I imagine you were kidding... but do you think MacDonald and our 7th would?

What are the odds that our #7 ends up being better than Hall? If so, it will probably be by a small degree. The Oil could get Marner, Provorov, Werenski, Barzal, or similar.

So we jump start our process by 5 years. Hall should be having his best statistical years this upcoming season and the one after.

Would you make that trade? Would the Oilers?

I would do that trade in a New York minute. Could you see Hall with Giroux and Voracek?

I'm not sure Edmonton would do that, though. Possibly.

All I know is that was a bush league lottery...the Oilers win the lottery 3 times in 5 years...really? Oh, and EVERY team picks exactly where they were predicted? Garbage. Cue the G for McDavid rumors in 5,4,3,2,1. That kid looked like he just got ebola when he found out Edmonton will probably pick him.

McDavid will be fine in Edmonton. The Battle of Alberta is officially on again, and that's a good thing for hockey. The Oilers still need goaltending and D, but they are legitimate once more. Congrats to JR and other Oiler fans.

If my team wasn't going to get him, I'm kind of glad it was Edmonton. Sure they've won  the lottery several times...most of which was when the top pick was a guy as talented as the one we'll get picking 7th. I'm certainly glad it wasn't a team like LA or Boston, who just missed. I'm also glad it was a team below us in the standings, so we didn't drop a spot. 

McDavid looked like he always does. The guy has ice running through his vains. Watch highlights of his incredible goals...it's all business for this young man who's development won't be sidetracked by anything. Whoever his wingers are in Edmonton, they're going to be having some kind of fun playing with this super fast elite playmaker with a GIANT hockey brain.

Agree with and like this take   ^^^

All I know is that was a bush league lottery...the Oilers win the lottery 3 times in 5 years...really? Oh, and EVERY team picks exactly where they were predicted? Garbage. Cue the G for McDavid rumors in 5,4,3,2,1. That kid looked like he just got ebola when he found out Edmonton will probably pick him.

Only the first pick was up for grabs...so everyone else just falls in line after Edmonton. And McDavid is like Toews...he never gets excited about anything. He would have looked exactly the same no matter who won the lottery.

Oh, and EVERY team picks exactly where they were predicted

Well, that IS the way it is supposed to work.   One team bumps up to #1 if they're lucky, the teams in front of them slide back one, and everyone else stays the same.   In this case, the team that was originally slated for 3rd won, so there are only two teams that move down one.  

Has anybody heard from hockeyjunkie since the announcement or was he one of the people from Buffalo in line to jump off the Falls.........

Yes.  Eichel is who he wanted "all along."

Is it me or does something smell like bull ####?

It's really hard to think the NHL set this up for the OIlers to win. I mean, come on...a franchise that is healthy, strong fan base etc....there are other cities that McDavid could have literally saved.

It's really hard to think the NHL set this up for the OIlers to win. I mean, come on...a franchise that is healthy, strong fan base etc....there are other cities that McDavid could have literally saved.

People talk about McDavid being horrified about it, and talk about the look on his face, as though they're experts in facial expression from their couch. Whatever. The same thing was said about the rest of the #1s (who all signed long term, incidentally)........

But Bettman and the BoG? They're not the least bit happy about it. The NHL doesn't exactly have a chance to grow its brand with the best young player in years by plopping him in the middle of a territory which is already hockey mad.

I would do that trade in a New York minute. Could you see Hall with Giroux and Voracek?

I'm not sure Edmonton would do that, though. Possibly.

Yeah, I don't think it's enough to get Hall. It would definitely be a sick top line if we ever landed Hall.

@ruxpin

@brelic

That trade would be downright stupid... So maybe they'd do it.

And Brelic nowhere can ruin McDavid. If Pittsburgh didn't ruin Lemieux back then and McDavid is as good a talent as he seems, I'm sure he'll pull through. Some players are just special... Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin... They all thrive no matter where they go I believe.

Yeah, I don't think it's enough to get Hall. It would definitely be a sick top line if we ever landed Hall.

A line of Giroux, Vorachek and Hall would be straight up sick. There would be so much speed there, coming at you in waves....and all 3 are masters of keeping puck possession and anticipating plays....the puck just magically follow that trio around, it would be such a treat to behold. Hall's stock may have dropped a bit with another set of injuries and disappointing point totals, but he would still require ripping apart the core to acquire his services. Just an estimate, but I'd say it would take Sanheim and the 7th overall pick at the very least. Another package might be Cousins, Morin, Sanheim or something close to that....in other words, the price would be counter productive to Hexy's re-build.

Something I just thought of...

Another thing, re: the trading of current Oilers, particularly as it pertains to Leon Draisaitl: his prescence, and with him being on his ELC and being a future bridge contract, greatly helps the salary cap situation down the road.

Archived