Oilers win the Lottery

hf101

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Oilers have said that they don't want to tip off who they're selecting with the 1st overall pick

The suspense is killing me.

Knowing the "braintrust" up in that "organization" they're probably worried someone else might take him first.

:ph34r:

The suspense is killing me.

Knowing the "braintrust" up in that "organization" they're probably worried someone else might take him first.

:ph34r:

They really make it easy, don't they?

They really make it easy to make fun of them.

I guess congratulations are in order for @JR Ewing, no more Lowe or MacTavish on the hockey side of the house. If McDavid never plays a game for the Oilers he'll still be remembered forever for his contribution.   ;)

This. Daryl, you must be jumping for joy at this point.

Hopefully, he cleans house. begins bringing in his own training staff and scouts over the next year.

but this is nothing short of positive. I wonder what tipped the owners hand? McDavid whispering he may hold out?

@JR Ewing  I have a sneaking suspicion that Nurse is gonna unseat Schultz as the go to guy on the Oilers top power play. I think he has better offensive instincts and is a MUCH better skater, time will tell, but I think he will inevitably take over the power play.

I guess congratulations are in order for @JR Ewing, no more Lowe or MacTavish on the hockey side of the house. If McDavid never plays a game for the Oilers he'll still be remembered forever for his contribution.   ;)

I will always have respect for Kevin Lowe for his contributions to the Oilers. He was the team's first draft pick, and he scored the Oilers first goal in the NHL. He was a key player and had big minutes on 5 Cup winners (along with that one with the Rangers). He was exceptionally tough, and played meaningless games while suffering serious injuries. When he became GM, he operated under a budget which was preposterously low for a major league sports team, and when the owners group told him there was no money for a minor league team, he let all of the heat for that from the public go towards him and not ownership, calling it a "streamlining" of the organization, and saying it was his call.

I have similar respect for Craig MacTavish for slightly different reasons, though he was also a major part of 3 Cup winners in Edmonton. The man, without a helmet, blocked shots from Al MacInnis and He was a good coach, though in the end he let personal issues with players get in the way of his job. While battling cancer he finished his Business degree at Queen's.

I have respect for each of them as men and for what they've contributed to the team. However, I'm also glad they're out, because it just wasn't right, and hadn't been for a long time.

This. Daryl, you must be jumping for joy at this point.

Hopefully, he cleans house. begins bringing in his own training staff and scouts over the next year.

but this is nothing short of positive. I wonder what tipped the owners hand? McDavid whispering he may hold out?

I don't think it had anything to do with McDavid suggesting that he would hold out. When Erie was the worst of the worst, he happily went there, and has for a very long time said that he would go wherever he's drafted in the NHL. That said, I'm sure that he's happy to see some men who are well respected in hockey circles in positions of power in Edmonton.

It's the best week in a very long time for Oilers fans. Between the draft, the change in management, and even Taylor Hall, earlier today, saying that he would never ever request a trade from Edmonton, because that's where he wants to be. Over the years, I've seen more than a few players whine their way out of the city; even great ones. I watched a great team be stripped down for parts that were major parts of Stanley Cups in other cities. We can only sit back and wonder how many more they could have won if it wasn't for Peter Pocklington's money troubles. I watched a team mostly strike out at the draft for 15-20 years because they did things like have a head scout that lived in Mexico or didn't even send scouts to the World Juniors until 4 years ago. I watched the team almost leave the city, and eventually be saved by a group of owners that could only afford to pay the bare minimum for everything. I've watched a rebuild be handled by a man (Tambellini) paralyzed by fear of screwing up whose only moves were to send out useful players for low picks. I've watched the last men react with defensiveness and arrogance when challenged on decisions........

But this week?

This week has been pretty good.

@JR Ewing  I have a sneaking suspicion that Nurse is gonna unseat Schultz as the go to guy on the Oilers top power play. I think he has better offensive instincts and is a MUCH better skater, time will tell, but I think he will inevitably take over the power play.

I really don't know where that's going to shake out. He didn't have a very good year on the PP, but in fairness, a lot of that seems to be due to Dallas Eakins

Justin Schultz

Eakins PP: 1.98 Pts/60

Nelson PP: 3.82 Pts/60

So, there's some evidence that Eakins' PP wasn't a very good one.

btw, Oscar Klefbom did MUCH better: 5.78 Pts/60

I will always have respect for Kevin Lowe for his contributions to the Oilers. He was the team's first draft pick, and he scored the Oilers first goal in the NHL. He was a key player and had big minutes on 5 Cup winners (along with that one with the Rangers). He was exceptionally tough, and played meaningless games while suffering serious injuries

Lowe does not get talked about enough for his contributions to those Cup winning teams. He was the glue that kept the guys tight. One of the best defensive defensemen in NHL history in my books. When the Oilers needed to protect a one goal lead, he was automatically on the ice. A VERY nice luxury being able to roll out that guy when things were tight.

Archived