Make it a Hurricane before I go insane, Carolina year in review

yave1964

PRESEASON OUTLOOK: Not much expected. A few holdovers from the past, in Staal and Ward and a bunch of question marks among the kids.A long season expected.

FINAL RECORD: 30-41-11 71 points 14th in conference

HIGH POINT OF SEASON: Well they lost their first eight so no real highpoint stands out. They did play very well down the stretch.

LOW POINT OF THE SEASON: See above, they lost the first eight being outscored during that stretch 33-17 putting to bed any doubts about what to expect.

WHAT WENT RIGHT:

Justin Faulk established himself as an elite back end guy. They traded Sekera for a first rounder to the Kings who missed the playoffs, giving the Canes two picks in the top 13. Elias Lindholmm96bvmISvJOf1KYItiULhxQ.jpg had a very strong second half and established himself as a comer. Eric Staal slid back a bit this year, was moved out of center and to the wing but still led the team in scoring. Victor Rask showed flashes.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Ward showed his career was closer to the end that the beginning. They tried to deal hima nd found no takers. Jeff Skinner was awful for most of the year, not resembling the 18 year old kid from a few years ago at all. Alex Semin rewarded the 'Canes faith with mvoKs1PiV_4hieUWwfP7npw.jpg6 goals and 19 points while remaining infuriatingly healthy all year. Khubodin was given every chance to seize the net away from Ward and had a difficult time stringing two consecutive good starts together.

MVP: Faulk by a mile. Unheralded and unnoticed he has turned into a star. Staal second, followed by Lindholm.

UFA's:

Patrick Dwyer

Brett Bellemore

TOP PROSPECTS:

Haydn Fleury could assume a top four role on the back end next year, Trevor Carrick could do likewise. The Canes back end looks very promising with these two plus Faulk. I do not think much of Brock McGinn but he is thought highly of as a scoring forward in many circles and will be given a chance as a top six forward next year. Patrick Brown and Brendan Woods are two more names to remember, both should stick in Carolina among the fowards next year. And yet another back end player, Keegan Lowe could stick with the parent club if either Carrick or Fleury falter. Lots of B grade prospects here.

OFFSEASON QUESTIONS:

Can you find a home for Ward? Would anyone bump their head and take Semin? Can this many good kids pushing for playing time translate to wins or another year of frustration for Caneiacs?

• 2 weeks later...

Haydn Fleury could assume a top four role on the back end next year, Trevor Carrick could do likewise.

I agree with these two but a steal for the Canes we may see soon is Roland McKeown...he may return next year for his last year of junior or head to the AHL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=189364

But these guys give the Canes a nice young future blueline with Ryan Murphy, Faulk (will be 24 next year) headlining the group.

Looking like this soon...

Liles/Faulk

Lowe/Murphy

Fleury/Bellemore

-----------------------------------

Hillen/Rissanen

Jordan/Beiga

No saying that is how they will work it out...that is a lot of righthand shots for the blueline...nice balance. Some may be traded out.

@OccamsRazor

McKeown looked pretty darn good as a 17 year old. But his progression has basically come to a screeching halt. He had 7 g 22 a as a 17 year old. As a 19 year old he had 7 g 25 a. No wonder he went from being projected as a top ten pick to falling all the way to #50. I don't know what happened to him, cause he seemed like he was pretty good at everything.

@OccamsRazor

McKeown looked pretty darn good as a 17 year old. But his progression has basically come to a screeching halt. He had 7 g 22 a as a 17 year old. As a 19 year old he had 7 g 25 a. No wonder he went from being projected as a top ten pick to falling all the way to #50. I don't know what happened to him, cause he seemed like he was pretty good at everything.

Yeah like they say it's not man exact art when projecting kids....and all the measurables there are, the biggest muscle you can't measure...the heart. 

• 2 weeks later...

Shocked that McKeown's stock has dropped so drastically, really wanted him to be a Flyer, maybe it's for the best he was not, huh?

Yes Sanheim was the right pick...i was with you on this kid i thought he was going to be a steal....and he may still....but the Flyer scouts got it right with Sanheim.

No regrets whatsoever!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Shocked that McKeown's stock has dropped so drastically, really wanted him to be a Flyer, maybe it's for the best he was not, huh?

Canes are quietly building a damn good blueline as well in the East...

Faulk, Murphy, Fleury, Mckeown and now add Hanifin that is a damn good core right there...

@OccamsRazor  I have not seen him play much, so hard to really comment, BUT is anyone else wondering why it's taking so long for Murphy to come around and contribute?  I know he was hurt for the one year, but he's not looking like the dominant player he was billed to be....at least not yet.

@OccamsRazor  I have not seen him play much, so hard to really comment, BUT is anyone else wondering why it's taking so long for Murphy to come around and contribute?  I know he was hurt for the one year, but he's not looking like the dominant player he was billed to be....at least not yet.

He dealt with injuries this year...he has shown glimpses...but honestly i think he was pressed into action to soon.

James Wisniewski, the forgotten man of the playoffs, was dealt to Carolina for goalie Anton Khudobin

Khubodin has proven that his one good year as Rask's backup was more a product of the system than his own play. Frankly moving him out and the rest of the Canes moves impress me.

Hanifin fell to five, I absolutely did not see that coming. As mentioned above, the 'Canes defense is becoming a noticeable strength.

Eddie Lack faults and all is better than Khubodin and at this point may be better than what is left of Cam Ward. Not a great goalie but a good, solid pickup.

Wisniewski, while I have been critical of his defensive end of his game is a solid power play guy who moves the puck with the best of them. Good pickup.

So their goalie is better, their defense is better, and young forwards such as Viktor Rask improved as the season went on last year. The Canes look improved at least on paper. Of course you play the games on ice and not paper but still,. the Hurricanes took a good solid step forward this offseason so far. Cautiously optimistic if I am a Cane fan.

• 2 weeks later...

What a sweet goal!!!

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/10/pht-morning-skate-canes-fleury-gets-fancy-with-behind-the-legs-goal/

NICE!!

Archived