The omnibus fixing the lottery thread

icehole

I think there should be a rule that if you get 3 top five picks in a row, you automatically aren't in the lottery the next draft r regardless of whether you make the playoffs.

FRIGGIN RIGHT>>>>I SUPPORT THIS>..you can't just be crap forever. If you don't right the ship after 4 years....you burn. Under our new rules, the Oilers would not be eligible for McDavid...and I'm ok with that....there should be some sort of price to pay for continued crap play.

FRIGGIN RIGHT>>>>I SUPPORT THIS>..you can't just be crap forever. If you don't right the ship after 4 years....you burn. Under our new rules, the Oilers would not be eligible for McDavid...and I'm ok with that....there should be some sort of price to pay for continued crap play.

The only "real" answer is a relegation/promotion system somewhat akin to the Premier League.

Which would be Very Difficult for them to pull off.

If Edmonton was likely to find itself in the AHL instead of continuing along as an NHL franchise, I'll wager they just might do things a little differently.

NHL and AHL teams interchange. The best AHL teams replace the worst NHL teams season to season. But since the AHL is the primary development league for the NHL, it would be tough because of prospect placement, etc. That's ignoring the fact that the BoG would have to agree to potentially seeing their individual teams fall to a least league for years or even decades.

NHL and AHL teams interchange. The best AHL teams replace the worst NHL teams season to season. But since the AHL is the primary development league for the NHL, it would be tough because of prospect placement, etc. That's ignoring the fact that the BoG would have to agree to potentially seeing their individual teams fall to a least league for years or even decades.

It would take a complete redo almost top to bottom and really is not "posible."

I'd love to see it though.

We should fork the lottery/premier to a new thread.

That said, I'm all for the idea of a team becoming lottery ineligible for two years after winning one lottery. All eligible teams remaining go in to the lottery, guaranteeing that a team cannot pick 1st overall two years in a row.

In reality sucking 2 years in a row should omit you because 99% of the time you haven't even had the benefit of your #1 overall after one year.

How does it make sense to judge who needs the most help when teams haven't even enjoyed any of the benefit of that help yet? How can you tell it's not working and that they need another #1?

The whole thing is messed up.

Has anybody considered the NHL lottery might be fixed? That has happened before,right Pennsylvania? 

The NHL wouldn't risk the immensely negative tarnishing to their reputation to do it, not to mention the massive lawsuits which would follow. The firm of Bortz and Company wouldn't risk their license, the large penalties which would result, and the likely lawsuits from disgruntled people they've dealt with. The fix was not in.

And... Even if the lottery were fixed, don't you think they would have put McDavid anywhere besides Edmonton?

The NHL wouldn't risk the immensely negative tarnishing to their reputation to do it, not to mention the massive lawsuits which would follow. The firm of Bortz and Company wouldn't risk their license, the large penalties which would result, and the likely lawsuits from disgruntled people they've dealt with. The fix was not in.

And... Even if the lottery were fixed, don't you think they would have put McDavid anywhere besides Edmonton?

I don't think the lottery is fixed. Giving the Penguins the #1 overall slot when bob hockey had been played the previous season is fishy, but binding think there's chicanery in the actual selection of the lottery winner.

That said I think the lottery has proven ineffective and kind of silly.

In 2007 the flyers would have been the ultimate icon for the draft. An otherwise consistently playoff qualifying team has a really bad year. The worst they ever have and are the worst in the league. If they get the number 1 overall they get a piece that would enable them to rebound and be back at a competitive level immediately.

As it turned out they got competitive immediately anyway because of Richards carter and a boatload of money for briere and Timmo, but the Penguins took 5 years of top picks to do the same and the Blackhawks multiple years and the oilers now what? 10 years of sucking and 4 #1's?

Isn't the idea that teams not have to stink for periods of time measured in decades or half decades to get competitive again after rough years? Why does the NHL see fit to keep rewarding teams for stinking and not being able to succeed again until they've stockpiled a slew of top 5 picks?

goofy question but has a guy ever refused the pick? I don't mean a high-profile pick - he couldn't surprise anyone on draft day - too many prior discussions with scouts, etc. - but what about a later-round prospect who hasn't had much contact with NHL teams?

Imagine telling a GM who just called your name, "I'm sorry but I have no intention of trying to play ice hockey in Ari-fkng-zona" (within earshot of GaryB).

Archived