Couture's comments on culture likely a jab at Wilson

J0e Th0rnton

Man... I feel for you 'joe' b/c something is certainly rotten within your franchise and most signs are pointing towards Wilson.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the higher powers are in any hurry to can/'promote' him either.

As a Flyer fan, and resident of Ontario, it certainly seems like the same issues present in both the Leafs/Flyers.  We've been dealing with a variety of poisonous influences for a lot longer though!  Unfortunately, most of our Poison comes from the bloody owner!  At least Wilson can be removed.

Any way you look at it the Sharks are a mess, from Wilson down to the stick boy from the way it sounds.

I have worked my entire adult life in positions ranging from employee to management, quite frankly the management sets the tone and it is the employees job to buy in to the program. In a lot of ways I feel for Wilson having a bunch of griping players who are stabbing at him. They don't seem to buy into the system as put forth by the man who is in charge of the franchise and thusly in charge of them.

The players lose, they point the finger at Wilson, even Thornton told 'Doug to shut up'. It is everyone's fault but there own. It is a poison atmosphere.

So lets say Wilson gets canned, you can make the argument that he should, but if he is, then what?

Essentially the inmates have taken over the asylum in this case. How would you like to be the next GM after Wilson knowing that the players who you were inheriting had ran your predecessor out of town? Do you really think you are ever going to get them to buy into a new system in that case? Seriously?

Not sure where the Sharks go from here. I wouldn't want to coach this bunch either. I don't see any top tier coaching prospect giving serious consideration to taking over this team. Just poison. Instead of blaming Wilson they need to look in the mirror. Not that Wilson is innocent, hell, he is the one who put this bunch together and gave the no movement contracts out to star players who repay him by gunning for his job. He brought in Niemi, Boyle, Burns and many others as the 'final piece' and none worked, at some point you need a new perspective from the top and he has overstayed his use by date by several years but he is far from the only one who should go.

Wow, Joe. What a mess.

I think yave's concern is warranted but while admittedly not up on all the nuance of what is going on out there, I do think Wilson needs to go. The new GM then needs to begin by moving some folks out.

Any way you look at it the Sharks are a mess, from Wilson down to the stick boy from the way it sounds.

I have worked my entire adult life in positions ranging from employee to management, quite frankly the management sets the tone and it is the employees job to buy in to the program. In a lot of ways I feel for Wilson having a bunch of griping players who are stabbing at him. They don't seem to buy into the system as put forth by the man who is in charge of the franchise and thusly in charge of them.

The players lose, they point the finger at Wilson, even Thornton told 'Doug to shut up'. It is everyone's fault but there own. It is a poison atmosphere.

So lets say Wilson gets canned, you can make the argument that he should, but if he is, then what?

Essentially the inmates have taken over the asylum in this case. How would you like to be the next GM after Wilson knowing that the players who you were inheriting had ran your predecessor out of town? Do you really think you are ever going to get them to buy into a new system in that case? Seriously?

Not sure where the Sharks go from here. I wouldn't want to coach this bunch either. I don't see any top tier coaching prospect giving serious consideration to taking over this team. Just poison. Instead of blaming Wilson they need to look in the mirror. Not that Wilson is innocent, hell, he is the one who put this bunch together and gave the no movement contracts out to star players who repay him by gunning for his job. He brought in Niemi, Boyle, Burns and many others as the 'final piece' and none worked, at some point you need a new perspective from the top and he has overstayed his use by date by several years but he is far from the only one who should go.

Sorry bud. As a strict Sharks fan, you are way off here. Wilson has consistently gotten rid of good depth players while adding useless ones. Refuses to use UFA to add appropriate pieces, instead targeting the Burish types of the world. Refused to budge on Niemi. Niemi himself is one of the most backbreaking goalies in the league.He deflates the team with his softies. 40 playoff games and zero shutouts mean nobody could count on him to make the routine saves, and thus, played scared in front of him.

Sorry bud. As a strict Sharks fan, you are way off here. Wilson has consistently gotten rid of good depth players while adding useless ones. Refuses to use UFA to add appropriate pieces, instead targeting the Burish types of the world. Refused to budge on Niemi. Niemi himself is one of the most backbreaking goalies in the league.He deflates the team with his softies. 40 playoff games and zero shutouts mean nobody could count on him to make the routine saves, and thus, played scared in front of him.

I think our two teams have been on a parallel course for years, Jimmy Howard has been essentially what Niemi has been for your boys, a good goalie who on an elite team could go along for the ride to a cup but on a very good team does not have the extra something to get them over the top. And as far as free agents go, a couple of years ago we signed Jonas Gustafsson and Jordan Tootoo as well as Carlo Colaiacovo and Kent Huskins. In the same year. On purpose.

I do give credit to Wilson for adding some big boys however, something Holland seems remiss to do. Boyle, Blake, Burns, all come to mind. Yeah, he signed his share of John Scott and Adam Burrish types, something Kenny usually does not do, I see that as an indictment on his drafting ability. The Sharks finally have some B and C level prospects especially among the forwards but for seven or eight years the Sharks organization has been at the very bottom in hockeyfutures.com and others. Wilson has drafted poorly and had to fill the bottom six and lower pairs with rentals and hope to catch lightning in a bottle. More often than not it does not work. Holland, or Rather Jim Nill who is now the GM in Dallas has drafted extremely well, both teams are always at the bottom of a round.

But back to Howard and Niemi who are, in my mind anyway the same animal. A question for you:

Over the last seven or eight years, how many cups would either of these two teams won with Quick? Multiple, I am sure. I also think that if either of our teams had a Luongo, a Ryan Miller, very god goalies, not stars but one notch above what both of us are throwing out there either of our teams would have a cup. No doubt in my mind.

That is why I am thrilled that the Wings are giving Mrazek a shot and I hope that Howard is given away to the Oilers or Dynamo Minsk or whoever, Getting rid of Niemi for your boys is addition by subtraction. I really believe that if Wilson looks around at the free agent class and sees nothing to get for goalie and resigns Niemi that you will drive across the continent and need bail money, lol.

How about we trade you guys Howard? maybe a second rounder, if you holler enough maybe we can give you our first instead of giving you a second to take him. :ph34r:

So yeah I first hand know the pain you are suffering Joe, a goalie that prevents the team from taking the next step is awful.

Archived