Clock Strikes Midnight for Dubnyk?

radoran

Yea, pretty bad....

Still though, until proven otherwise, this can be chalked up to just a really bad outing....and not just in goal.

Wild players overall simply did NOT match the Blues intensity...almost as if they bought into their own hype of "Hey, we can go up 3 games to 1 tonight!"

Blues NEEDED to win tonight to even up the series....and they played like it.

Dubnyk?

Uh huh....two goals in particular that were let in I thought were soft.....the unobstructed blue line shot for the 1st goal and a goal where he had the shooter one on one WITH most of the net cut off, shooter was not at a premium angle, yet still got it by him.

Maybe Dooby's time is 'up', maybe not....to me it was just a case of the Blues playing like the desperate hockey team they were and the Wild kinda feeling all they needed to be was on cruise control.

Dubnyk did not really track the puck very good at all this game...but his Wild teammates were also very slow to offer him any assistance on various plays.

Let's see what happens in Game5.

Devan was asked about Game 4 afterwards, and he took IMMEDIATE ownership of the bad play out there...made no excuses, simply said "I need to be better"

With that awareness and maybe the giant kick in the arse the Wild as a team got from that 6-1 drubbing, I'd run Dubnyk out again for Game 5.

He helped get us to this point, I say run him out until he proves he has nothing left....and honestly, if Doobs HAS run out of steam, then the chances at this point in time for the Wild to win anything leaning on Darcy Kuemper the rest of the way are very slim anyways.

Dubynk and Hammond.

Cinderella years.

Hmmm...not quite.

Dubnyk put aside his terrible outing....he took ownership, said he needed to be better, he was, the team never wavered from their confidence in him, continued to play the layered defense, fast transition game that had helped bring them to this point, and went on and eliminated the so-called Big Bad Blues and, to use a football term, got a 'fresh set of downs' in the form of a 2nd round series.

Credit MUST go to Devan Dubnyk for getting his team to the post season, but it is a big mistake to think that the Wild are all Dubnyk.

Once the Wild were out of the hole they SHOULDN'T have been in the first place, the talent on the team, along with Doobs, did the rest.

Hmmm...not quite.

Dubnyk put aside his terrible outing....he took ownership, said he needed to be better, he was, the team never wavered from their confidence in him, continued to play the layered defense, fast transition game that had helped bring them to this point, and went on and eliminated the so-called Big Bad Blues and, to use a football term, got a 'fresh set of downs' in the form of a 2nd round series.

Credit MUST go to Devan Dubnyk for getting his team to the post season, but it is a big mistake to think that the Wild are all Dubnyk.

Once the Wild were out of the hole they SHOULDN'T have been in the first place, the talent on the team, along with Doobs, did the rest.

Alot of goalies have one really good year. Outside of this stint with Minnesota, Dubynk has not proved himself as a goalie that stands out of the rest. Besides, he isn't performing too well in this years playoffs. A .914 save percentage is quite pathetic when you just came from having a .936 save percentage. Given it is quite a small sample size, but I still don't see Dubynk coming close to this year's regular season stats again. Just an average goalie that is having his career year.

Alot of goalies have one really good year. Outside of this stint with Minnesota, Dubynk has not proved himself as a goalie that stands out of the rest. Besides, he isn't performing too well in this years playoffs. A .914 save percentage is quite pathetic when you just came from having a .936 save percentage. Given it is quite a small sample size, but I still don't see Dubynk coming close to this year's regular season stats again. Just an average goalie that is having his career year.

I see it much differently. I see a better than average goalie who was trapped in Edmonton with one of the very worst defenses imagineable. Once he shed the Oil defense, the real Dubnyk started to shine thorough....Jesus would have had trouble positing respectable stats in front of that horrid Edmonton defense.

I see it much differently. I see a better than average goalie who was trapped in Edmonton with one of the very worst defenses imagineable. Once he shed the Oil defense, the real Dubnyk started to shine thorough....Jesus would have had trouble positing respectable stats in front of that horrid Edmonton defense.

You're acting as if Dubynk only played on Edmonton before he went to Minnesota. I don't know if you are simply ignoring it or you didn't actually know. But he played for the Coyotes last year posting a mediocre .916 save percentage. That's no different than what he did with the Edmonton Oilers, and in some years, he did even better with the Oilers than he did with his one year stint with the Coyotes. Considering the fact that the Coyotes have a Stanley cup Defense compared to the pylons the Edmonton Oilers like to call defense. But Dubynk still posted mediocre stats, tells me he is a mediocre goalie who is having a career year, which he will never come close to again.

@JagerMeister  Yeah, I'm quite aware that Dubnyk played for the Coyotes. Um.....yeah, the same Coyotes team that is gonna be drafting in the top 5 in the coming draft.....I can't see how he could not post better stats with such a quality team there in the desert. :ph34r:

Time will tell, as per usual, but Dubynk is a quality tender, and has finally found a home where the team in front of him is not a MESS. You're wrong about him, and his stats next year will bear this out.

Telling among remarks was Trotz when Dubnyk played for Nashville. Trotz was scratching his head saying "We had to untrain some strange habits the Edmonton goalie coaches taught him"

The poor guy never had a chance before Arizona. Under a good goalie coach, he flourished and played very well on a horrid Arizona team. Having a strong winning record on that mess of a team is telling, but not as telling as his performance now under a truly decent team. The wild could not count on Kuemper to make even routine stops. They played scare in front of him. Held their sticks too tight. Second guessed decisions in a game where split second decisions are EVERYTHING. Reminds me of the Sharks in front of Niemi.

They got a goalie who makes not only the routine stops, but saves their bacon every now and then and you can see the confidence shift in the team.

I was one of the few advocating Dubnyk when he went to the wild while many degraded him due to his oiler days and he is making me feel great about that decision.

On the bolded, well he is only just NOW getting his chance to 'stand out' from the rest.

And honestly, I AM AWARE, that his regular season numbers since joining the Wild are ridiculous.

He would be hard pressed to follow that up again. Those were 'elite netminder' numbers he put up.....but even if Dubnyk isn't an elite netminder, he can still be a good solid one (particularly for how the Wild play their system) and can still have more good seasons, even through the likelihood that he won't match those crazy numbers from this year again.

As for his playoff performance, looking at hard numbers, you'd be right. .914 does seem a bit pedestrian compared to some other goaltenders post season performances, however, you certainly exaggerate when you say "pathetic".

Pathetic would be something around .900 or below.......and "pathetic" doesn't usually have you on the winning side unless your team is scoring around 5 or 6 goals a game....which Minnesota did not.

Oh and look....Dubnyk and his "pathetic" performance were good enough to take down SC favorite and Central Division winners, St. Louis!

Really...Dubnyk made saves when his team needed him to....I believe his post season numbers to be skewed by that one horrid, horrid game he had in Game 4.

All that said, I have said on other threads that I believe Devan Dubnyk to be a textbook 'system goalie'.

So, that said, it is quite possible that if he doesn't get re-signed by the Wild, he could find himself somewhere else in a system that doesn't quite work for him....and he could be exposed once again.

He and the Wild, after all is said and done this post season, will need to sit and really see where each thinks the other can help take them. Personally, I think the Minnesota system serves him quite well and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he and the Wild decided on a new contract.

Nice...but you got my hair color wrong...I am dark blonde...not a redhead.... :lol:

BTW...whose tat is that anyways, OR?  I KNOW its not yours....lol

Not sure i just found it on a hockeysite last night a fan just posted it and i thought i'd share with you guys!

Telling among remarks was Trotz when Dubnyk played for Nashville. Trotz was scratching his head saying "We had to untrain some strange habits the Edmonton goalie coaches taught him"

The poor guy never had a chance before Arizona. Under a good goalie coach, he flourished and played very well on a horrid Arizona team. Having a strong winning record on that mess of a team is telling, but not as telling as his performance now under a truly decent team. The wild could not count on Kuemper to make even routine stops. They played scare in front of him. Held their sticks too tight. Second guessed decisions in a game where split second decisions are EVERYTHING. Reminds me of the Sharks in front of Niemi.

They got a goalie who makes not only the routine stops, but saves their bacon every now and then and you can see the confidence shift in the team.

I was one of the few advocating Dubnyk when he went to the wild while many degraded him due to his oiler days and he is making me feel great about that decision.

And than he had a chance in Arizona. Mediocre performance. And then that 2 game stint with the Predators that no one remembers? an astonishingly bad .850 save percentage

@JagerMeister  Yeah, I'm quite aware that Dubnyk played for the Coyotes. Um.....yeah, the same Coyotes team that is gonna be drafting in the top 5 in the coming draft.....I can't see how he could not post better stats with such a quality team there in the desert. :ph34r:

Time will tell, as per usual, but Dubynk is a quality tender, and has finally found a home where the team in front of him is not a MESS. You're wrong about him, and his stats next year will bear this out.

He played in a better Coyotes team that had 89 points last year compared to 50 something this year. The team last year was way better than they where this year

On the bolded, well he is only just NOW getting his chance to 'stand out' from the rest.

And honestly, I AM AWARE, that his regular season numbers since joining the Wild are ridiculous.

He would be hard pressed to follow that up again. Those were 'elite netminder' numbers he put up.....but even if Dubnyk isn't an elite netminder, he can still be a good solid one (particularly for how the Wild play their system) and can still have more good seasons, even through the likelihood that he won't match those crazy numbers from this year again.

As for his playoff performance, looking at hard numbers, you'd be right. .914 does seem a bit pedestrian compared to some other goaltenders post season performances, however, you certainly exaggerate when you say "pathetic".

Pathetic would be something around .900 or below.......and "pathetic" doesn't usually have you on the winning side unless your team is scoring around 5 or 6 goals a game....which Minnesota did not.

Oh and look....Dubnyk and his "pathetic" performance were good enough to take down SC favorite and Central Division winners, St. Louis!

Really...Dubnyk made saves when his team needed him to....I believe his post season numbers to be skewed by that one horrid, horrid game he had in Game 4.

All that said, I have said on other threads that I believe Devan Dubnyk to be a textbook 'system goalie'.

So, that said, it is quite possible that if he doesn't get re-signed by the Wild, he could find himself somewhere else in a system that doesn't quite work for him....and he could be exposed once again.

He and the Wild, after all is said and done this post season, will need to sit and really see where each thinks the other can help take them. Personally, I think the Minnesota system serves him quite well and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he and the Wild decided on a new contract.

Yes I was overexaggerating, but his performance was only good enough because of Allen's horrendous .904 performance

Besides that, fair points

And than he had a chance in Arizona. Mediocre performance. And then that 2 game stint with the Predators that no one remembers? an astonishingly bad .850 save percentage

He played in a better Coyotes team that had 89 points last year compared to 50 something this year. The team last year was way better than they where this year

Yes I was overexaggerating, but his performance was only good enough because of Allen's horrendous .904 performance

Besides that, fair points

A year with goaltending coach Sean Burke obviously improved him. Sure, he had a meh while after Edm. Who wouldn't? Look at Perron. There are a lot of variables a goaltender needs to take into account when moving to a new team. Coaching system's vary on how shots are allowed on goal.

Niemi is a perfect example. Chicago knew he was weak high and tracked the puck badly, so defense was coordinated to force low pad save type shots for force perimeter shots when possible. Something the Sharks could never do. The Sharks were swept by Niemi and the Hawks and I can tell you all 7 goals we scored were 18" off the ice. The Sharks were still a mostly strong team, but defensively, they lacked the players to force such tactics. As a result, Niemi is exposed as a guy who cannot make the routine stops.

And what are you talking about with him playing in Arizona the year before? He had 5 seasons in Edmonton, a brief stint in Nashville in which they commented that he needed to spend time in the minors "unlearning" the crap habits Edmonton coaching taught him. Then this year. 9 wins, 5 losses and 2 OT losses in Arizona. You might notice Arizona's other goaltender, established 5.6 million dollar a year Mike Smith had a 14-42-5 record this season.

Archived