Scott Darling... #Neverquit

hf101

3iKtMCY.jpg

Scott Darling who?  

Yeah, that goaltender who #Neverquit.  In four four years, Darling has gone from a questionable career in hockey and the struggles with alcoholism, to becoming one of the biggest feel-good stories of the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I have to say I really hadn't heard of him until he won Game 1 for the Hawks after being down 0-3, but he has a story to tell.

Darling was a 6th round pick in the 2007 draft pick of the Coyotes who was cut during training camp after he was dismissed from the Univiersity of Maine Black Bears.   Worse yet, the Chicago native was fired by his goaltending coach while playing in the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL).  Fired from one of the worst teams in one of the worst of leagues, Darling hit bottom with a Drinking problem.

That was the start to a new life as Darling quit drinking, however, not the game he loved.

The next couple of years Darling bounced around some playing for several clubs in the ECHL and AHL, Wheeling Nailers and Hamilton Bulldogs then the Milwaukee Admirals and the Cincinnati Cyclones. Darling earned a contract during a training-camp tryout for the Blackhawks and has impressed all season. He went 9-4-1 with a 1.94 GAA and .936 save percentage in 14 games and replaced Antti Raanta as Crawford backup in February. 

And the rest we know about.  Darling came in relief of Corey Crawford after being down 0-3 in game one of the playoffs.  His second start of the playoffs, game 4, Darling was named first star posting an impressive .962 save percentage in 100:59 of play in front of his hometown family and friends.   Has he reached the top yet?

The Blackhawks have a 3-2 lead over the Nashville Predators after losing game 5 on the road.  They can move on to the second round with another strong win at home.  

They can move on to the second round with another strong win at home.

I hope so they have to win next round for the 2nd conditional pick to turn into a 3rd rounder. Then they must get to the finals for it to turn into a 2nd. And of course he has to play in 50% of the games...which he has covered so far.

@yave1964   Bowman is gonna have to make some very tough choices, somebody with a decent salary is getting the boot....my money is on Crawford. As Darling looks more and more impressive, Crawford inches closer and closer to his last game as a Hawk.

@jammer2

Bowman and Holland are going to be in a race to see who can dump their goalie the quickest to a team like the Oilers who do not have one, If I am Holland I will try to deal Howard first, start out with a second round pick, but if that don't get it done offer the Oilers your first to take him before Bowman does the same with Crawford. :ph34r:

• 5 weeks later...

Archived