Do you know the way to San Jose? Sharks year in review

yave1964

391124610202_1.jpg PRESEASON OUTLOOK: After a dreadful finish to the previous season that ended with the Sharks losing to the hated Kings in the playoffs last year and backbiting between players and GM Doug Wilson, the hope was that the Sharks could put a run together and continue their streak of playoff appearances and go deeper this year.

FINAL RECORD: 40-33-9 89 points 12th in the West.

HIGH POINT OF THE SEASON: Beating the Kings in the opener when the Kings unveiled their banner as world champs was nice. A five game win streak in Mid-December pushed them to 19-11-4  shortly before Christmas.

LOW POINT OF THE SEASON: All the backbiting. Wilson stripping the C from Thornton. Thornton telling Doug to shut up. 351382802478_1.jpgBut February was a sad month the club went 3-10 as they lost their focus and the season went down the drain. Maybe the worst was a 5-4 loss to the wretched Hurricanes on February 8th at home.

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Joe Pavelski had a monster year (37-33-70) and made claim to this now being his team. Brett Burns  made the transition smoothly to the back end. Logan Couture had 27 goals. Thornton continued his run on the record books and is aging like fine wine. Tommy Wingels established himself as a hard hitting winger. Quite a few kids got NHL ice time and weren't embarrassed.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Marleau has hit the wall, still an NHL player, no longer within a mile of his peak seasons. Hertl had a poor sophomore year. Niemi was below standard, Stalock was worse. The defense was not really NHL caliber, especially when Vlasic was out.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR: Little Joe had 19 power play goals, 2nd on the team was Burns with a paltry 7. If Pavelski was not on the ice for a power play, it simply was not going to happen.

UFAs:

Antii Niemi

Taylor Fedun

Scott Hannan

John Scott

Matt Irwin

TOP PROSPECTS FOR 2015-16: A lot of the kids got into action this year and more is expected in the future, Chris Tierney was not bad, a top nine role is expected. Mirco Mueller looked lost at times but showed flashes on the back end. With a lot of deadwood cleared he should step into a starting role. Barclay Goodrow who sounds like a tax accountant actually is a good 4th liner with a bit of upside.

To me, this is the biggest area that Wilson deserves to be leveled for, the farm system is always rated in the bottom five or lower in every serious scouting site. they have a bunch of meh complimentary players on the way but the next Marleau or even the next top six forward really is not there. Not any time soon anyway.

OFFSEASON QUESTIONS:

Does Doug Wilson survive or does he follow McLellan out the door? Which player/players pay the price for missing the playoffs? Who is going to be in net next year? Will Hertl step up next year? How long do Thornton/Marleau have left?

391124610202_1.jpg PRESEASON OUTLOOK: After a dreadful finish to the previous season that ended with the Sharks losing to the hated Kings in the playoffs last year and backbiting between players and GM Doug Wilson, the hope was that the Sharks could put a run together and continue their streak of playoff appearances and go deeper this year.

FINAL RECORD: 40-33-9 89 points 12th in the West.

HIGH POINT OF THE SEASON: Beating the Kings in the opener when the Kings unveiled their banner as world champs was nice. A five game win streak in Mid-December pushed them to 19-11-4  shortly before Christmas.

LOW POINT OF THE SEASON: All the backbiting. Wilson stripping the C from Thornton. Thornton telling Doug to shut up. 351382802478_1.jpgBut February was a sad month the club went 3-10 as they lost their focus and the season went down the drain. Maybe the worst was a 5-4 loss to the wretched Hurricanes on February 8th at home.

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Joe Pavelski had a monster year (37-33-70) and made claim to this now being his team. Brett Burns  made the transition smoothly to the back end. Logan Couture had 27 goals. Thornton continued his run on the record books and is aging like fine wine. Tommy Wingels established himself as a hard hitting winger. Quite a few kids got NHL ice time and weren't embarrassed.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Marleau has hit the wall, still an NHL player, no longer within a mile of his peak seasons. Hertl had a poor sophomore year. Niemi was below standard, Stalock was worse. The defense was not really NHL caliber, especially when Vlasic was out.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR: Little Joe had 19 power play goals, 2nd on the team was Burns with a paltry 7. If Pavelski was not on the ice for a power play, it simply was not going to happen.

UFAs:

Antii Niemi

Taylor Fedun

Scott Hannan

John Scott

Matt Irwin

TOP PROSPECTS FOR 2015-16: A lot of the kids got into action this year and more is expected in the future, Chris Tierney was not bad, a top nine role is expected. Mirco Mueller looked lost at times but showed flashes on the back end. With a lot of deadwood cleared he should step into a starting role. Barclay Goodrow who sounds like a tax accountant actually is a good 4th liner with a bit of upside.

To me, this is the biggest area that Wilson deserves to be leveled for, the farm system is always rated in the bottom five or lower in every serious scouting site. they have a bunch of meh complimentary players on the way but the next Marleau or even the next top six forward really is not there. Not any time soon anyway.

OFFSEASON QUESTIONS:

Does Doug Wilson survive or does he follow McLellan out the door? Which player/players pay the price for missing the playoffs? Who is going to be in net next year? Will Hertl step up next year? How long do Thornton/Marleau have left?

High's. Stalock and Niemi opening the season with shutouts back to back

Low equal: TMac not letting a goalie who got a shutout play the next game. Happened multiple times this season to Stalock. Ride a hot goalie TMac!

High. 10-10-1 in the first 21 games, despite it being the hardest schedule with 16 out of 21 being road games.

Low equal: We sucked at home this season later in the season.

High: Thornton/Pavelski still dominant no matter who they throw on the line. including rookies!

Low: Couture's had to have Marleau/Nieto as linemates. Nieto tried, but just has no finish. good possession to. Marleau just had one of his worst years ever.

Lower: TMac's line blender. Continually messing with chemistry. that and playing Burish a lot until Wilson demoted him

High: Mueller as a rookie looked better than several players older than him(Irwin/Hannan/Tennyson) despite having to cover for an unpredictable Burns!

Low. TMac continually scratched Mueller to play Irwin/Hannan and paired a rookie with maverick wookie Brent Burns......

Lower: Demers looked like crap when not paired with Vlasic and being stuck with Hannan/Irwin.

One step up: Wilson finally addressed our lack of depth on the left side by trading Demers for Dillon!

Low: Wilson retained salary for Demers and gave our 3rd pick with him, preventing us from using offer sheets.

Lower: Wilson had no answer to the hole that was now on our right side either. Only called Fedun up after giving Tennyson a long chance.

One step up: After looking like crap most of the season, Irwin did not look out of place the last 25 games.

Low: irwin is almost certainly a goner UFA

More low: 9 million in cap space, and Wilson wastes several million of it by signing Scott, Brown and Hannan

Highest: Emergence of the Hertl/Tierney/Wingels line late in the season!

Lowest: Niemi/Stalock all season......OH and the sharks owner giving Wilson a pass this season

Seriously. No other team let' a goalie have 2 bad years, let alone 5. Niemi had 40 playoff games for the sharks and zero shutouts, unable to make routine saves.

high: We have like 15 million in cap space now!

Low: Wilson won't use it and even if he did, the UFA pool sucks worse than ever. Also, no 3rd to offer sheet

@J0e Th0rnton

I forgot to mention the 10-10-1 start in spite of the long road trip.

The two teams with the Worst road trips of the year were the Sharks and Wings, both came out smelling like a rose, and then both failed at home. The Wings spent nearly all of January and February on the road, came out strong and then March when they were at home they nearly blew the playoffs.

I think a team loses a bit of home ice advantage and gets out of sorts when they are gone for so long. It throws you off track a bit.

I reluctantly agree about Niemi, I have always thought he was a solid netminder, he did knock out my Wings twice in a row so I may have overrated him as I overrated these Wings teams.It is easier to say that we lost to a great goalie than to an Arturs Irbe so I likely gave Niemi more credit than was due. He is likely an average goalie who held back a great team.

Tenders who are available are:

Crawford (cap Hell)

Howard (the emergence of Mrazek

Miller (failed in Vancouver)

Elliot (the emergence of Allen)

Bishop (if the Bolts lose in the first round they may go with the two kids)

Anderson (with the emergence of the Hamburgler)

In this regard, San Jose is in a great spot, their biggest need is in net, it is a buyers market with the glut of tenders out there. Crawford will likely be forced out by the monster contracts given to Toews and Kane. Does Wilson again go with a leftover from the Hawks? Or if not, which of the others who could be had for a song would you go for?

Green and one of the tenders fix a lot of what ailed your team last year, the only drawback I see with Green is like Burns he is a d-man in name only, it stretches Vlasic and Braun even further. A third pair of Mueller and Dillon would be a nice fit, as long as Green and Burns at least make an effort on the back end it could work.

I think Marleau will bounce back a little, I think he is still far from done. He showed flashes throughout the year.

Pavelski led the team in draws and Thornton was second and Couture was third, that is some serious depth down the middle. If Marleau, Wingels and Hertl can contribute the forwards should be fine. In truth, they could use one more top six winger, Burns could yoyo back to the wing and a shut down d-man with a crisp first pass could be added, all in all that would make the team very difficult to play against.

So:

Green

Paul Martin?

One of the goalies

Right back in the mix. Write off the bad year and retool.

@J0e Th0rnton

I forgot to mention the 10-10-1 start in spite of the long road trip.

The two teams with the Worst road trips of the year were the Sharks and Wings, both came out smelling like a rose, and then both failed at home. The Wings spent nearly all of January and February on the road, came out strong and then March when they were at home they nearly blew the playoffs.

I think a team loses a bit of home ice advantage and gets out of sorts when they are gone for so long. It throws you off track a bit.

I reluctantly agree about Niemi, I have always thought he was a solid netminder, he did knock out my Wings twice in a row so I may have overrated him as I overrated these Wings teams.It is easier to say that we lost to a great goalie than to an Arturs Irbe so I likely gave Niemi more credit than was due. He is likely an average goalie who held back a great team.

Tenders who are available are:

Crawford (cap Hell)

Howard (the emergence of Mrazek

Miller (failed in Vancouver)

Elliot (the emergence of Allen)

Bishop (if the Bolts lose in the first round they may go with the two kids)

Anderson (with the emergence of the Hamburgler)

In this regard, San Jose is in a great spot, their biggest need is in net, it is a buyers market with the glut of tenders out there. Crawford will likely be forced out by the monster contracts given to Toews and Kane. Does Wilson again go with a leftover from the Hawks? Or if not, which of the others who could be had for a song would you go for?

Green and one of the tenders fix a lot of what ailed your team last year, the only drawback I see with Green is like Burns he is a d-man in name only, it stretches Vlasic and Braun even further. A third pair of Mueller and Dillon would be a nice fit, as long as Green and Burns at least make an effort on the back end it could work.

I think Marleau will bounce back a little, I think he is still far from done. He showed flashes throughout the year.

Pavelski led the team in draws and Thornton was second and Couture was third, that is some serious depth down the middle. If Marleau, Wingels and Hertl can contribute the forwards should be fine. In truth, they could use one more top six winger, Burns could yoyo back to the wing and a shut down d-man with a crisp first pass could be added, all in all that would make the team very difficult to play against.

So:

Green

Paul Martin?

One of the goalies

Right back in the mix. Write off the bad year and retool.

The bolded are the only 2 I would be interested in there. I suspect Bernier from the leafs is also available. but at what price since he is RFA? He made comments about his team playing like a junior squad last season lol.

Paul Martin would be nice, but too old given Wilson claims he will not sign older players. Since the only blueliner we have who can put up over 30 points is Burns, I am leaning towards wishing for Green. Quite frankly, he is dynamic on the PP and if paired with a good defensive Dman like Vlasic, could do nicely on the sharks.

Ideally:

Vlasic/Green (The offensive guy with the defensive guy)

Dillon/Burns (Same)

Mueller/Braun (Rookie with solid guy. Putting Braun and Vlasic together was a weird Tmac decision. Best 2 defensive D and puck movers together?)

Sharks have 17.5 MILLION in cap space. Resigning Dillon(About 2.5) and Karlsson(About 2) should be priority before UFA time. Leaves us with 13 million.

Karlsson from what I see is a 3rd line grinder that found a niche with Thornton/Pavelski because they needed a strong forechecker who can muck along the boards, get them the puck and then drive the net. Outside of that line, Karlsson did not distinguish himself much, but he played solid.

Dillon stabilized our left side(Before it was Vlasic, Rookie Mueller, Irwin or Hannan) but did not distinguish himself as a top 3/4 guy. Earned a small "Prove yourself" raise.

Ehrhoff would be an ok pickup that would allow us to keep Mueller in the minors 1 more year. but Ehrhoff once signed a hometown discount here, only to have Wilson ship him for cap space nothing to make way for Heatley. Doubt he trusts us.

We NEED a guy who is either two way, or offensive. No two ways about it. 5 defensive dmen and Burns removes a dynamic.

if you guys don't resign Zidlicky right away, I would throw an offer at him. but again, old and Wilson likely won't.

You know who surprised me this year? Yanick Weber. he played well when others were injured. but he is RFA.

Douggie Hamilton would be a dream to throw an offer sheet at given the bruins are in cap hell. But we lack the 3rd since we gave it to Dallas. Hamilton is worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. He is going to be a top pair two way guy. 21 years old and one of the Bruins bright spots this season. If we could get get our 3rd back from Dallas, I would throw a 6.5mil x 8 years offer sheet at him in a heartbeat and watch the Bruins struggle with their lack of capspace.

In a best case scenario, please excuse me while I pipe dream for a second. 17.5 Million in cap space.....

"Doug Wilson trades something to Dallas for our 3rd round pick back"

"Doug Wilson resigns RFA Dillon, 3 years, 2.5 million"

"Doug Wilson resigns RFA Karlsson, 2 years, 2 million"

"Doug Wilson trades Colorado's 2016 2nd to Ottawa for Anderson. 4.2 million cap hit"

"Doug Wilson offer sheets Doug Hamilton 6.5 Million x 8 years. Bruins rage and consider matching, but reluctantly decline. Neely loves Lucic too much to move him"

"Doug Wilson signs free agent 27 year old Micheal Frolik to a 3 year, 4.5 million dollar contract"

"Doug Wilson places Raffi Torres on Injured reserve. 2 million off the books"

"Adam Burish remains demoted. Mike Brown Demoted. Saves 1.7 million or so."

Lines and ages as of next season:

Karlsson(25)/Thornton(36)/Pavelski(31)

Marleau(36)/Couture(26)/Frolik(27)

Hertl(22)/Tierney(21)/Wingels(27)

Goodrow(22)/Smith(27)/Nieto(23)

Vlasic(28)/Hamilton(22)

Dillon(25/Burns(29)

Mueller(20)/Braun(27)

Anderson(33)

Stalock(28)

DROOLS

Right up against the cap.

High's. Stalock and Niemi opening the season with shutouts back to back

Low equal: TMac not letting a goalie who got a shutout play the next game. Happened multiple times this season to Stalock. Ride a hot goalie TMac!

High. 10-10-1 in the first 21 games, despite it being the hardest schedule with 16 out of 21 being road games.

Low equal: We sucked at home this season later in the season.

High: Thornton/Pavelski still dominant no matter who they throw on the line. including rookies!

Low: Couture's had to have Marleau/Nieto as linemates. Nieto tried, but just has no finish. good possession to. Marleau just had one of his worst years ever.

Lower: TMac's line blender. Continually messing with chemistry. that and playing Burish a lot until Wilson demoted him

High: Mueller as a rookie looked better than several players older than him(Irwin/Hannan/Tennyson) despite having to cover for an unpredictable Burns!

Low. TMac continually scratched Mueller to play Irwin/Hannan and paired a rookie with maverick wookie Brent Burns......

Lower: Demers looked like crap when not paired with Vlasic and being stuck with Hannan/Irwin.

One step up: Wilson finally addressed our lack of depth on the left side by trading Demers for Dillon!

Low: Wilson retained salary for Demers and gave our 3rd pick with him, preventing us from using offer sheets.

Lower: Wilson had no answer to the hole that was now on our right side either. Only called Fedun up after giving Tennyson a long chance.

One step up: After looking like crap most of the season, Irwin did not look out of place the last 25 games.

Low: irwin is almost certainly a goner UFA

More low: 9 million in cap space, and Wilson wastes several million of it by signing Scott, Brown and Hannan

Highest: Emergence of the Hertl/Tierney/Wingels line late in the season!

Lowest: Niemi/Stalock all season......OH and the sharks owner giving Wilson a pass this season

Seriously. No other team let' a goalie have 2 bad years, let alone 5. Niemi had 40 playoff games for the sharks and zero shutouts, unable to make routine saves.

high: We have like 15 million in cap space now!

Low: Wilson won't use it and even if he did, the UFA pool sucks worse than ever. Also, no 3rd to offer sheet

the Pens have a goalie who everyone raves about! He is so inconsistent that he sucks!

@notfondajane

As a Flyer fan Fleury is my favorite goalie to go up against in the playoffs. He's let in some absolute Bryzgalion-like goals. He's the perfect final piece for the inevitable meltdown when the two teams meet. But the Flyers didn't make the playoffs this year, and didn't get far enough last year. Fleury was fine both those playoffs.

Let it go.

• 2 weeks later...

@yave1964

Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN 29m29 minutes ago
Hasso Plattner: “As everybody knows, we need a defenseman or two, and we need probably a better 4th line. Then we will have a good team again.”

Can we hire our owner as the GM? He figured out in 2 years what wilson hasn't been able to figure out in 12 years.

It's pretty encouraging that the owner recognizes what the teams issues are and hopefully this means he's willing to spend to fix them.

• 2 weeks later...

He figured out in 2 years what wilson hasn't been able to figure out in 12 years.

My Flyers have a few (defensemen) you can have name two off our starting roster then we'll go from there.... ;)

My Flyers have a few (defensemen) you can have name two off our starting roster then we'll go from there.... ;)

I think the Sharks are looking for *actual* d-men.....put the special mark over our door....the Flyers are about to get passed over!

• 2 weeks later...

@J0e Th0rnton  Moving forward, who do you see as legit possibilities as Couture's linemates next season...I ask because I have some real tough decisions to make in our keeper league.

I'd like Hertl as his LW & hopefully we can sign Frolik to be the RW................Right Jumbo? What's up bro, i remember you taking about this site so i came & checked it out & joined. :thumbsu:

Archived