Hounds vs Otters...

jammer2

Anyone watching this GEM of a game?!?!  Otters up 3-2 with 10 mins left in the 3rd. Nurse looks like a MONSTER out there. McDavid scored shorthanded to put the Otters up. Rangers have a nice player coming,. ...like this Halverson kid. Williams has made some wicked saves in the 3rd...ditto for the Hounds goalie.

Nurse has an assist and a crossbar and McDavid has 2 goals. Even though they are gonna be teammates, no love lost here, Nurse his punishing him every chance he gets! I can't believe how great Nurse looks, a man among kids.

Ritchie's skating has grown by leaps and bounds, he is flying out there.

I'll tell you right now, Ritchie and Nurse are SUPERSTARS....like first team all star types....Ritchie scored a real nice goal to get the Hounds within 1. Where did the Tolchinsky kid come from....WOW...AMAZING stickhandler, one of the very best I've seen in quite a while in the OHL...WICKED skill level on this kid!!  Halverson standing on his head to keep the Hounds in this one...great goalie!!  I called P.K winning the Norris when he was in the O....I'm extending the same thing for Nurse, best blend of skill and grit I've seen in over a decade!!

Nurse's conditioning is OFF THE CHARTS..playing 4 minute shifts with no signs of being tired. He's fast enough to forecheck DEEP and still get back on D...has done it several times.

McDavid with an open net to ice it, but Nurse catches him from behind....Baptiste ices it on the same shift....Erie now has a 2-1 lead...WOW....did not see this coming!!

I'm setting the DVR for Tuesdays game....some GREAT hockey being played!!

How dominating are the Otters right now...the Hounds have not lost back to back games since Dec 6....till today.

McDavid's shorty was *the* Datsuyk move, beautiful move.

McDavid's shorty was *the* Datsuyk move, beautiful move.

I always called it The Nilsson, because the first time I saw it was by Kent back in the 80s. I'm sure he wasn't the first guy to do it, but he was the first I saw.

@JR Ewing  I actually messed that up, I'm sure Nillson may have done it first, but it was Forsberg that made it famous.....except, Peter never did it such a high speed that McDavid pulled off last night!

here we go people....enjoy!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/watch-connor-mcdavid-pull-forsberg-move-for-shorthanded-goal-in-ohl-playoffs--video-235907445.html;_ylt=A0LEVkAmtT5V618A3gknnIlQ

A few really cool things about that goal. First off, just outright pure hockey sense told Connor to move his feet at the moment the Hound player flubbed the puck, you don't get a shot of it, but I'm sure he started moving towards him before the flub actually occurred. Secondly, Connor does not plan this move at all, it just freely flows out of him based on what was appropriate at the time.....which is awesome.

If you are Canadian and have access to Sportsnet, I strongly suggest you cancel everything tomorrow night and catch this once in a lifetime chance to see these kids ripping up the ice...you will not regret it!!

@JR Ewing  I actually messed that up, I'm sure Nillson may have done it first, but it was Forsberg that made it famous.....except, Peter never did it such a high speed that McDavid pulled off last night!

here we go people....enjoy!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/watch-connor-mcdavid-pull-forsberg-move-for-shorthanded-goal-in-ohl-playoffs--video-235907445.html;_ylt=A0LEVkAmtT5V618A3gknnIlQ

Oh, for sure. I think I'm just stuck in the past.    lol

The first time I saw that, in an era before 24 hour sports news and wall-to-wall highlight packages, I was blown away by it; amazed. But, you're exactly right about McDavid's goal: the speed of it was incredible, as was the situation in which it occurred. Astonishing young hockey player operating on his own level for his age.

1st period....

Big news for the Hounds, offensive defenseman Anthony DeAngelo is back for this game, should be a real shot in the arm for the Hounds (Tampa 1st rounder).

Hounds hoping top line Tolchinsky (93 pts, 10th in OHL regular season scoring), McCann (Canucks 1st rounder) and Bunting (37 goals in regular season) can get untracked tonight....they have been held in check for the most part. Otters goal scoring to this point...McDavid 7 goals, Strome 2 goals...he needs to be better.

Not a big surprise, but Nurse expected to shadow McDavid again.

Nick Ritchie explodes into the crease with nice power forward move......Ducks first rounder.

Dupuis scores 37 seconds in for the Hounds!

Mayhem....Halverson takes cheap shot and retaliates, taking the only PIM. Then Hounds put it in the net way after the whistle...huge scrum in sues!

Otters send out 5 forwards, all 30 goal scorers for the pp.

McDavid to Baptise....1-1 game!! Nice pass by Connor!

Erie for the playoffs.....6 shorthanded goals, 4 pp goals allowed.....WOW!

McCann got burned, having to play defense on the pp....Dolbrincat scores for Erie....2-1 Otters....shorty.

Hounds score, Bunting ties it up 2-2!

Sorry guys, just woke up for work and found I passed out half way through the second. I know McDavid got 4 assists and Erie won....lol. They now have a 3-1 stranglehold and can knock out the Hounds on home ice, claiming the Wayne Gretzky Trophy for Western Conference Champion.

What the hell happened? Watched the first half of the game, and although the score was close, it was all Soo. 

I mostly saw the second half. It was close, kind of back and forth- Erie got a couple breaks towards the end and that was it. I think the Soo kind of ran out of steam.

Except for Nurse, who was a beast. Can't believe that the Oilers have him AND McDavid. With even an average amount of competence upstairs that team can be very good for a very long time.

Edit: Pretty impressed with Baptiste as well, 4 goals (1 EN). Kid has a nice shot. He should eventually look good on a line with Eichel.

@JackStraw  Nurse's stride is something to behold. P.K has the speed and finesse on his side, but Darnell....the outright power and strength in his stride is incredible. It's like watching a pure bred stallion in full gallop...this kid is just amazing. Throw in the grit and mean streak, he is a one of a kind beast. Now people will see why I was saying it was worth upsetting our core to acquire him.....he is that good.

Just thought I would throw in...I was questioning how in the holy hell did Tolchinsky go undrafted....well, he's off the market, he signed a FA deal with the Canes this year. He actually reminds me a lot of Martel...but Martel is faster, but Tolchinsky has more elite stickhandling and is more elusive and  has more dexterity.....a shame we did not sign this kid, he is the real deal.

McDavid with a goal and 4 assists last night to eliminate the Soo. 42 points in 15 playoff games, this guy is playing out of his mind. And he just turned 18.

It was also about as casual a 5-point night as I've ever seen.

Archived