Flames to burn a year off Bennett's ELC

hf101

Granted the playoffs mean a lot and the Flames have played well to earn their place in the second round of the playoffs, but the Ducks have won 6 in a row thus far in the playoffs and are completely dominating the Flames. 

The 18 year old Sam Bennett will play his 10 game in game 3 at home and will officially burn 1 year off his Entry Level Contract.  It's a move that will cost the Flames a few Million in a couple of years.  Bennett has 3 goals in these playoffs and of course wants to play and has earned it. 

It is understandable for the Flames to take this position as Bennett has arrived, as well hey, it IS the playoffs, ...but I think a lot of other clubs would not have played him  for the sake of saving that couple of Million and played a veteran.

Did the Flames make the right decision?

On 5/5/2015 at 10:52 AM, hf101 said:

Granted the playoffs mean a lot and the Flames have played well to earn their place in the second round of the playoffs, but the Ducks have won 6 in a row thus far in the playoffs and are completely dominating the Flames. 

The 18 year old Sam Bennett will play his 10 game in game 3 at home and will officially burn 1 year off his Entry Level Contract.  It's a move that will cost the Flames a few Million in a couple of years.  Bennett has 3 goals in these playoffs and of course wants to play and has earned it. 

It is understandable for the Flames to take this position as Bennett has arrived, as well hey, it IS the playoffs, ...but I think a lot of other clubs would not have played him  for the sake of saving that couple of Million and played a veteran.

I thought playoff games didn't count toward that game total??? I guess i was wrong?

Yes, because they need his skill if they are to win a single game in this series (I give them one win at home). Plus what @flyercanuck said. He hasn't looked out of place - although he has been rocked a few times. 

I also like what Hartley said when asked the same question (paraphrasing): "management told me, like, I could make lineup decisions based on, like, hockey needs, regardless of, like, contract stuff. And I did. We, like, need Sam in our lineup and he, like, deserves to be in it.

Yes, because they need his skill if they are to win a single game in this series (I give them one win at home). Plus what @flyercanuck said. He hasn't looked out of place - although he has been rocked a few times. 

I also like what Hartley said when asked the same question (paraphrasing): "management told me, like, I could make lineup decisions based on, like, hockey needs, regardless of, like, contract stuff. And I did. We, like, need Sam in our lineup and he, like, deserves to be in it.

I just don't see how the Flames could turn around at this point and say "yeah, we're not going to play this kid" - that's a signal that the towel is being thrown in.

They had to essentially make the decision at the start of the playoffs before even putting him out there. If they didn't make the second round, they lose nothing - but if they do make the second round, they were essentially committed to burning the year (assuming the kid didn't flame out).

Looking at the big picture, I would say Calgary did the right thing.

Question becomes, How do the Calgary Flames wish their fanbase, their current players and future FA players to view them?

As an organization that is concerned about saving a few million at some point later down the road?

Or as an organization that sees an opportunity to win....and do EVERYTHING possible to make that a reality....no matter how the odds are stacked against it?

As was already stated, Sam Bennett would have been a regular on the Flames anyways. He is a good player who CAN contribute to this team now and moving forward. You put him out there, let him gain valuable playing time and experience on a big stage like the playoffs (no matter how steep it would be to turn things around on the Ducks) and the team will benefit from it later on, regardless of how things turn out in this current series.

The fanbase will appreciate the effort being put forth by the Flames to ice the best possible team, and will appreciate the fact that the Flames aren't just going to do the minimum for the sake of some money saved later on.

Future or potential FA players will see the commitment the Flames have to winning and will likely view Calgary as a destination if they want to be part of an organization that cares about winning above all else.

So this costs the Flames some money later on.

Lots of things can happen from now till then.

Flames can offset that cost by unloading certain other contracts when the time is right.....or trade off some assets and get some good returns if need be to save some money. 

Perhaps some other assets that, while good, are nonetheless expendable when compared to keeping certain players around, such as Monahan, Brodie, and Bennett.

At least by committing to winning now and somewhat deciding WHO will be the leaders and staples of this team now, the Flames will have assured themselves of support from the fanbase, assured themselves that Calgary could be a desirable destination for veteran players who want to win, and assures the current crop of players (and the coaching staff) that the organization believes in them today and moving forward. 

IMO, that is fully worth the price of any money the Flames would be costing themselves later on in contracts.

Put the best players you can out there now and try to win.

That is what the Flames are doing and kudos to them for it.

Let the chips fall where they may later on.

It's the playoffs, you put your 12 best forwards on the ice....period. Everything else be damned. The Flames owe it to themselves, the long suffering fan base and the media who covers them to ice the very best product they are capable of. Anything else is total and complete garbage.

What kind of an idiot organization makes decisions that hurt the organization this year simply to save a few millions a few years from now?

Oh, wait...

:ph34r:

The pros and cons of burning the first year of Sam Bennett's ELC

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.com/2015/5/5/8550317/the-pros-and-cons-of-burning-the-first-year-of-sam-bennetts-elc

• 8 months later...
On 5/5/2015 at 10:52 AM, hf101 said:

After that 4 goal game last night versus one of the NHL's hottest team it looks like he'll be just fine.........no damage done...i think Flyers should do the same to Provorov next year...he looks ready!

Archived