Meltzer Blog: Flyers Aggressively Pursuing Zaitsev

AJgoal

Well, I can see going after a player if you can get them but it sure isn't going to help our d-man log jam. I was hoping to some how clear up a spot for a young player. Assuming we sign Del Zotto which is a near "must" in my eyes we will then have 8 d-men. If we get this guy we have potentially 9 not counting a chance for 1 of the younger guys to come along. I'm sure Hextall is trying to trade GrossmanN/Schenn/McDud but I am VERY dubious of finding a team to take any one of them. We can only hope it's a bottom feeder reaching for the cap floor and we expect virtually zero in return, which is fine. We can't actually afford another Cobby deal. Don't misunderstand me, Gudas and the first is a GREAT return but purely from a number of bodies stand point it didn't help. There must be a road map that Hextall is using...

I think with contracts like theirs most of the 8 we have can be waived or even traded without too much difficulty. 

Does a new coach take as much of a shine to Shultz?  mmmmmmaybe not.

Grossman's salary is a bit high, but we could swallow it to waive him and have him be a phantom if need be. Or hell, buy him out. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see Teams wanting Schenn and Grossman honestly.   They are decent players with experience are not a huge cap hit.   MacDud is not going anywhere - that contract is as ludicrous as they come.   Miracles can happen I guess but I would bet there is no way he is moved unless Homer takes over as GM of another club.  Hell he might give us a 2nd rounder for MacDud ;)

@fanaticV3.0 - your post had me cracking up - good stuff.

Schenn and Grossmann are the type of players a team will go after once they strike out on the UFA market. I think one of them can be moved this summer, and we'll have to wait until the deadline for the other.

I think with contracts like theirs most of the 8 we have can be waived or even traded without too much difficulty. 

Does a new coach take as much of a shine to Shultz?  mmmmmmaybe not.

Grossman's salary is a bit high, but we could swallow it to waive him and have him be a phantom if need be. Or hell, buy him out

hell no. not worth it if he only has 1 year left since we aren't even contenders 

Thanks fc....this kid has some serious offensive flair, nice release, nice one-timer, very smooth skater, an excellent offensive package from the video I watched. I can see what the big deal is all about now, he's an excellent prospect from the limited video I just watched. Very interested to see how this plays out.....how old is he?

Wish people would put defensive plays in highlight reels for defensemen.

With that shot, wonder if he's related to the famed Russian WWII sniper of the same last name? ::ninja::

Wish people would put defensive plays in highlight reels for defensemen.

Ha...was just thinking the same thing myself, he's on offensive d-man, so I get showing the highlights of what he's proficient at.....but hey....at least a peak at him in his own zone....would it kill them?.....LOL!

He's 23...wears the "C" (hopefully means he's decent at D?) 

Yeah, kinda hard to be a bum on defense if you wear the C.....would not go over to well with teammates if the C was horrible in his own end...he has to at least hold his own back there...you would think!

attachicon.gifCody+Eakin+Nikita+Zaitsev+2011+IIHF+World+eVEUybrgAGgl.jpg

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Report-Flyers-Interested-in-Zaitsev-Flyers-at-Worlds-Alumni/45/68476

"According to a Russian-language article in Championat.com, the Philadelphia Flyers are among the most active NHL pursuers of the player, in addition to the Buffalo Sabres and other clubs. The article further states that, two years ago, the Flyers made a heavy push for the player (then coming off a breakthrough season with Sibir Novosibirsk) but he elected to stay in Russia and sign with CSKA."

I don't know anything more than what's in the blog piece, but he looks to be a two-way, right-handed d-man.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=34773

Yeah i remember them pursuing him a year or so ago only for him to sign in the KHL....maybe he'll finally give in!!! ;)

I like the possibility of adding Zaitsev to the mix. A right handed defenseman who has offensive flair? Works for me.

It also helps balance things out in that the offense is coming mainly from the left side (Streit, Del Zotto) and with three offensive blue liners in the lineup, it also leads to speculation that maybe the Flyers look at possibly moving Streit or in the event of not being able to work out a contract with Del Zotto, they let him walk away (which I think would be a bad thing to do).

I'm also wondering with this glut of defensemen if Hextall packages one or two of the younger guys to get a legitimate top line left winger or maybe sweeten a deal to get a bad contract off the books (MacDonald). As for Schenn and Grossmann, I don't think moving them will be a hard thing to do and I think there's a market for guys like them. Either way, should be an interesting summer in Philadelphia.

I like the possibility of adding Zaitsev to the mix

Yes it does sound good......almost to good to be true...but first maybe Hexy tries to remove some of the current deadweight currently on the roster first.

Everytime I hear that last name I think of the sniper from Enemy at the Gates.

Any update on this kid?

No word yet.

But similar name no doubt the Russian sniper was actually Vasily Zaytsev ...spelled differently but pronounced the same...his nemesis the great Erwin König.

Great movie though.

Everytime I hear that last name I think of the sniper from Enemy at the Gates.

Any update on this kid?

I'm with ya

I only hear Saytzeff, Hoffman and Markovnikov. Hopefully he'll substitute for Grossmann or Schenn on the D

I'm not sure I understand how Hextall intends to clear out this logjam. If he lands Zaitsev, I imagine it's for the NHL roster, right? So that would make 9 guys under NHL contract if you include Del Zotto, and that puts a lot of pressure on actually clearing out enough assets (at least 3) to make room for the new guy. It seems like a strange position to put yourself in.

. It seems like a strange position to put yourself in.

It is a little more than odd. If I'm signing with the Flyers....I take a look at their AHL development for future Flyer d-men...it's a place where a d-mans career can go to die.

I'm not sure I understand how Hextall intends to clear out this logjam. If he lands Zaitsev, I imagine it's for the NHL roster, right? So that would make 9 guys under NHL contract if you include Del Zotto, and that puts a lot of pressure on actually clearing out enough assets (at least 3) to make room for the new guy. It seems like a strange position to put yourself in.

Yes it would seem he is getting things in order so if/when ink is about to be put to paper a deal will be done, hopefully two to move some guys out. Something tells me at the draft is when these moves take place. But not before hand...he hopefully isn't like Homer to paint himself into a corner.

I take a look at their AHL development for future Flyer d-men...it's a place where a d-mans career can go to die.

But honestly what potentially great defensive prospect have the Flyer had that that happened to???? Kevin Marshall....Flyers really have had any great D men they didn't force into action early or trade before they really got a chance. Joni is one that was highly touted and may have been pressed into action before they are ready.

The rest that may have had potential were traded....i really can't think of any that i have seen since i have been watching the Flyers...Sbisa maybe pressed to early then traded. Am i missing someone?

Archived